Were You Shocked By Georgia’s Results?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:39:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Were You Shocked By Georgia’s Results?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: In 2020 for the first time in nearly 3 decades, Georgia voted for a Democrat. Polls were tight but ultimately Biden won the state. But did this shock anyone?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Were You Shocked By Georgia’s Results?  (Read 2256 times)
Typhoon2000
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2021, 08:10:00 PM »

Let me know!
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 08:13:49 PM »

I was somewhat surprised, although I was aware that Stacey Abrams came within 1.5 percentage points of Kemp.

My prediction was almost entirely correct though. I just had NC and Georgia swapped.

I expected Biden to win AZ though.

Despite the polling, I never expected Biden to carry Florida.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 08:15:26 PM »

I was flirting with the prospect of Biden flipping Georgia in 2020, but when the election started looking way closer than I had anticipated and with Florida and North Carolina already gone for him to boot (I really though they would vote to Georgia's left), I wrote off him flipping Arizona and Georgia at all. So in a way, I was in fact surprised when that glorious moment came when he took the lead in the state.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 08:30:16 PM »

Sort of. My final guess was that Biden would win all three of Georgia, Florida and North Carolina. I didn't expect Georgia to vote to the left of Florida at all, let alone the gap between them being over 3 points.
Typhoon2000
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 08:33:22 PM »

Sort of. My final guess was that Biden would win all three of Georgia, Florida and North Carolina. I didn't expect Georgia to vote to the left of Florida at all, let alone the gap between them being over 3 points.
I predicted North Carolina and Florida would go for Biden but predicted Trump would very narrowly carry Georgia.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 08:38:23 PM »

Not after seeing Miami-Dade, South Texas, Hudson NJ, and Cali (this one wasn't apparent until after Biden took the lead in GA). Those were way more shocking.

Metro Atlanta is larger and more D-friendly than almost every other big Southern metro, but I still expected NC to flip first based on the SurveyMonkey aggregate.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 09:39:47 PM »

I wasn't shocked that it flipped - I considered it a possibility, and even predicted it at one point (I was predicting the 413 map) - but I am shocked that it flipped with a national vote of just Biden +4.5. I had expected that Biden +8 would be required.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 09:50:25 PM »

Like others have said.  Wasn't shocked that it flipped but I was shocked that it flipped relative to other things that happened on election night such as Trump holding North Carolina and improving in Florida.  It's definitely one of the states where Biden over performed relative to his overall performance.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 10:13:30 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2021, 10:20:55 PM by Teflon Joe. »

No, Georgia had a lightning fast Democratic trend in 2016 and was only won by Trump by 5 points. In 2020 I expected the trend/swing to continue and it did. It is heading toward being another Virginia. Nate Silver had GA as slightly leaning towards Biden.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 10:35:05 PM »

Yeah, I definitely was, especially after seeing how strongly Trump was performing in Florida and North Carolina. I had it as a narrow Trump victory on my prediction map along with Florida, while I had North Carolina as a narrow Biden victory.

I always felt like Georgia would swing left this election, but I didn't think it would end up flipping. This is definitely a state where Biden greatly outperformed my expectations.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 10:53:20 PM »

Not at all, I knew it that GA would flip to the Dems ever since the 2018 Midterms.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 11:33:45 PM »

Georgia was the MVP that election.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 04:15:50 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2021, 09:06:40 AM by beesley »

Yes, not surprised that GA could go Dem but that it voted to the left of FL and NC by that much.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 08:31:51 AM »

Yes.  Considering NC didn't flip. 

That Abrams womyn seems like an extremely competent administrator. 
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 12:21:14 PM »

I was more surprised at it voting to the left of Florida and North Carolina than Biden winning it outright, if that makes sense.

I had GA as Tilt R and the other two as Tilt D.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 12:22:32 PM »

I was more surprised at it voting to the left of Florida and North Carolina than Biden winning it outright, if that makes sense.

I had GA as Tilt R and the other two as Tilt D.

First time since 1992 that it was to the left of Florida, and first since 2000 for North Carolina.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 01:31:05 PM »

Kinda, but Rs can't assume going against a Biden Prez it's gonna be a cakewalk, he is that same Veep that won IA, OH, NC, VA, NV and FL in 2008/2012, I keep telling R this, but they don't want to believe

We lost midterms due unpopularity of ACA and the drop off was 60%/33% Iin a VBM Election it's gonna be close to 50% voting, minorities will vote especially Latinos whom voted R in 2010/14, will vote D again
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 01:57:05 PM »

I was only surprised by Georgia flipping after Biden only won the national popular vote by 4.5 and Trump convincingly won Florida and North Carolina. Before the election, I thought Georgia was less likely to flip than North Carolina and had about the same likelihood of flipping as Florida.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 01:58:14 PM »

No, but if you'd told me ahead of time that Trump was winning NC and FL, I would have been quite surprised. Still not shocked though.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 02:48:08 PM »

No, i had predicted GA as a tossup (so rather more correctly than those, who put it firmly into the D-column).
I got FL & NC wrong, though. The actual shock in the night was the extent of Hispanics switching in MiamiDade & RioGrande-valley, making another Trump-victory for a short period imaginable.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2021, 04:25:17 PM »

No, not at all.  Yes I predicted Trump would carry state and yes I predicted GOP would win runoffs (and had Trump graciously conceded and argued they were needed as check, I think GOP would have held both, his behavior I think ensured many never Trump Republicans who were planning to split ticket didn't), but I know it would be super close.  I think bigger surprise was more polls were accurate in Georgia while in almost every other state, they underestimated Trump support.  I was however surprised Georgia voted to left of Florida and North Carolina.  I figured if Biden won Georgia, he would win those two states.

That being said as far back as 2012 I thought Arizona, Georgia, and Texas all were moving towards Democrats as becoming more diverse and urban so it was a matter of when not if each would flip.  That being said I thought 2024 not 2020 would be the year for Georgia, but I think Trump's behavior pushed the timeline up as yes he did poorly amongst non-whites which are growing, but this also alienated enough college educated whites who would have otherwise voted GOP.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2021, 09:38:16 PM »

Maybe a little shocked, but not surprised. I had been expecting Georgia to flip for a long time.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2021, 10:39:58 AM »

The only stet I failed to predict was GA, I thought Trump would win it by <1%
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2021, 03:36:03 PM »

No, I predicted that Biden would win Georgia, and I saw that the needle had Biden the favorite in Georgia on election night.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2021, 03:58:08 PM »

I expected GA and NC to vote to the left of FL but I was surprised one actually flipped.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies