Is Orange County, CA now a bastion of anti-establishment progressivism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:37:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Orange County, CA now a bastion of anti-establishment progressivism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No, it's still a conservative county

No, it's a mainstream liberal county

No, it's a centrist county

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Is Orange County, CA now a bastion of anti-establishment progressivism?  (Read 2104 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2021, 12:37:36 PM »

Is Orange County, CA now a heart of anti-establishment progressivism?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 12:44:56 PM »

It’s a mainstream liberal county.  That doesn’t preclude it from being a “bastion of progressivism”, but I wouldn’t call it “anti-establishment.”
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 12:47:47 PM »

It’s a mainstream liberal county.  That doesn’t preclude it from being a “bastion of progressivism”, but I wouldn’t call it “anti-establishment.”
You mean like Los Angeles and San Diego counties, as opposed to Humboldt and Mendocino counties?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 01:08:14 PM »

It’s a mainstream liberal county.  That doesn’t preclude it from being a “bastion of progressivism”, but I wouldn’t call it “anti-establishment.”
You mean like Los Angeles and San Diego counties, as opposed to Humboldt and Mendocino counties?

Well, it’s still to the right of LA and SD Counties.  OC now votes like Virginia or New Mexico, which are states that are almost safe, if not safe, Democratic.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 01:10:51 PM »

What does that even mean?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 01:15:02 PM »

Think Humboldt County. It hates Feinstein. An anti-establishment progressive is usually not a fan of CNN/MSNBC, but a fan of Democracy Now!. Such a voter would call Alex Padilla "insufficiently progressive" despite the fact Padilla supports the nuclear option/Medicare for All/court packing/Green New Deal.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 02:03:14 PM »

Think Humboldt County. It hates Feinstein. An anti-establishment progressive is usually not a fan of CNN/MSNBC, but a fan of Democracy Now!. Such a voter would call Alex Padilla "insufficiently progressive" despite the fact Padilla supports the nuclear option/Medicare for All/court packing/Green New Deal.

What the hell are you talking about?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 02:16:02 PM »

What are the chances of Lou Correa surviving a primary challenge (if he ever faces one)? Correa is a centrist Democrat who represents the VRA House district.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 05:27:34 PM »

What the hell are you talking about?
Most of this user's posts are free association and/or restating the same question in slightly different language. It's not supposed to mean anything.
tanairi8
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 05:50:31 PM »

It went for Dianne Feinstein over Kevin de Leon, so no.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 05:58:34 PM »

Yes /s
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 06:55:16 PM »

Centrist on balance. And a huge number of precincts are within the 60-40 or less range, one way of the other, for varying reasons. I suspect an 80-20 precinct is very rare.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 06:57:52 PM »

Centrist on balance. And a huge number of precincts are within the 60-40 or less range, one way of the other, for varying reasons. I suspect an 80-20 precinct is very rare.
There are probably quite a bit of 80-20 precincts in places in Anaheim, and a relatively large number of only slightly D ones.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 10:17:32 PM »

It's a centrist/purple county on balance but moderate conservatives, Establishment liberals, and left-wing populists *can* all win there depending on various factors such as candidate quality, their appeal to various demographics, and so forth. Hence why conservadem Lou Correa represents a Congressional District that was Bernie Sanders's second best in California.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 09:53:06 AM »

In a Democratic primary between singers, would OC vote for establishment Katy Perry or populist Fiona Apple?
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 04:24:14 PM »

Yes, given that it was heavily Republican for a long time and that's only changed recently I could see the left possibly having been the most influential part of the state party since only true believers would even bother to be involved in Democratic politics. Same way how if you look at the 2016 primary map Bernie was strongest in Oklahoma, Utah and even in the rust belt stronger in the rural counties that had always been heavily Republican then the ones that still had an ossified Democratic machine.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 04:33:54 PM »

In a Democratic primary between singers, would OC vote for establishment Katy Perry or populist Fiona Apple?

I'd say "whoever had the backing of the establishment Bay Area machinery," but Perry is from Santa Barbara and Apple is from Los Angeles, so it's unclear who they'd go behind. My money would be on Perry given that Feinstein beat de Leon in most of the county, including all of its CDs. Maybe Yorba Linda types would appreciate her strict Pentecostal upbringing.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 04:51:52 PM »

Depends who campaigned the most with hippie girls with hairy armpits.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 06:18:09 PM »

It's a centrist county on balance. When you look at the 2020 ballot measures, OC voted for the more conservative position on most of them. It's obviously more to the left than it once was, and Democrats now outnumber Republicans in voter registration. But I wouldn't call it a "progressive" county, it's mainly a byproduct of the national GOP alienating a lot of college-educated centrist voters
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 08:50:01 PM »

It's a centrist county on balance. When you look at the 2020 ballot measures, OC voted for the more conservative position on most of them. It's obviously more to the left than it once was, and Democrats now outnumber Republicans in voter registration. But I wouldn't call it a "progressive" county, it's mainly a byproduct of the national GOP alienating a lot of college-educated centrist voters
It was the only Southern California county to vote against allowing people on parole to vote in 2020. It also voted to keep the death penalty in 2016. In 2020, it voted against repealing the affirmative action ban. What is the likelihood of Lou Correa losing a primary challenge?
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2021, 12:40:05 PM »

It was the only Southern California county to vote against allowing people on parole to vote in 2020. It also voted to keep the death penalty in 2016. In 2020, it voted against repealing the affirmative action ban. What is the likelihood of Lou Correa losing a primary challenge?

I don't know much about his district specifically so I can't say, but in general I wouldn't think it's very likely for a challenger from the left to beat a centrist Democrat in Orange County.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2021, 03:20:29 PM »

Somewhere between centrist and mainstream liberal (voted for the latter)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 02:59:58 PM »

Is that the one with a jazzy voice?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2021, 06:19:54 PM »

Is that the one with a jazzy voice?

Did it really take you 2 weeks to come up with that comeback or were you looking for any reason to bump this thread?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2021, 11:20:30 AM »

Will Orange County usually vote for the "mainstream" or the "alternative" candidate in D vs D races?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies