New book on how Biden barely won (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:34:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  New book on how Biden barely won (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New book on how Biden barely won  (Read 6126 times)
sguberman
United States

« on: February 24, 2021, 04:33:51 PM »

https://twitter.com/jonallendc/status/1364549561545617413/retweets/with_comments
sguberman
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 06:01:10 PM »

Not gonna lie this is definitely interesting
https://twitter.com/DogPhoenixWP/status/1367608351752912896
sguberman
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 07:18:40 PM »

Got around to reading it today. One factoid I found interesting is that Biden's team knew that Texas wasn't going to happen for president or Senate. I seem to remember Dave Wasserman being very bullish on Democrats' chances in Texas across the board.
What exactly did it say about Texas?
sguberman
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 07:48:07 PM »

Got around to reading it today. One factoid I found interesting is that Biden's team knew that Texas wasn't going to happen for president or Senate. I seem to remember Dave Wasserman being very bullish on Democrats' chances in Texas across the board.

Despite some close public polls and all the fuss over massive early voting turnout, O'Malley Dillon knew that Biden wasn't likely to win there and he was better off focusing on the Rust Belt trio + Arizona, Georgia and North Carolina. They also knew that Hegar was going to lose, and it wasn't going to be close. But the campaign still sent Kamala to Houston, Fort Worth and McAllen just to humor people who thought Blue Texas might happen.
Did they know there was going to be big Hispanic swings?
Were they expecting to lose by the actual margin or were they still expecting a close race just one Biden would lose?
sguberman
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 12:09:45 AM »

I listened to the book and have so far gotten to the end of the primary in the book a few noteworthy things that caught my eye:

-Bernie was initially reluctant to run and he only wanted to run if he could win
-Warren was planning on running and starting a resistance to Trump before Clinton even conceded
-Biden was so shocked by the busing incident from Harris that he forgot what he was supposed to say and Harris had no idea how well she went until she met with her staffers afterwards
-Bernie's staffers such as Weaver and Rocha thought that Bernie may drop out after the heart attack
-On the night of the Iowa caucus, only the Buttigieg campaign's precinct captain gave them any real data so only they knew anything important
-Rocha and Weaver actually were originally disappointed with how Bernie was doing with Latinos when the Nevada caucus was occurring
-Buttigieg's senior advisors told him the night of South Carolina it was time to drop out and even before his breakfast with Jimmy Carter knew it was the end
-In Alabama Klobuchar planned to meet with Buttigieg to discuss the state of the race but the meeting didn't go thru do to Buttigieg's plane being delayed
-Bloomberg's senior aides thought that he should drop out before Super Tuesday
-Bernie's internal polling had them up in Maine, Massachusetts, and Oklahoma and competitive in Minnesota, Virginia, and North Carolina
sguberman
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 09:50:23 PM »

Looks like there is at least two more books about the election
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/607647/battle-for-the-soul-by-edward-isaac-dovere/

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-joe-biden-donald-trump-general-elections-elections-4f629e092afc92cc7eabd7ec4220cc0c
sguberman
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 09:55:15 PM »

Despite some close public polls and all the fuss over massive early voting turnout, O'Malley Dillon knew that Biden wasn't likely to win there and he was better off focusing on the Rust Belt trio + Arizona, Georgia and North Carolina. They also knew that Hegar was going to lose, and it wasn't going to be close. But the campaign still sent Kamala to Houston, Fort Worth and McAllen just to humor people who thought Blue Texas might happen.
I think if anything your description made them seem more bullish than what the book actually says. The book outright states they knew Biden wasn't going to win no matter what and that Hegar would get crushed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies