New book on how Biden barely won (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:25:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  New book on how Biden barely won (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New book on how Biden barely won  (Read 6174 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« on: February 25, 2021, 04:06:47 AM »

Looks like it's at least as focused on him in the primary as the general.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 11:35:02 AM »

I think this sounds very interesting. I can't wait to read it.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 04:45:55 AM »

Remember that in the primary, Biden was saved by the Democratic establishment rushing to stack the deck in his favor in late February/early March.

Lol he was going to win SC with or without an endorsement. That win would have propelled him to victory regardless because the majority of Democrats did not think that Bernie was electable

That was also an effect of Biden being relentlessly promoted by the mainstream media after SC. If Buttigieg & Klobuchar had remained in the race until on or after Super Tuesday, Biden would likely not have taken the lead he actually did, and the narrative following that might have been Sanders in the driver's seat instead of Biden.

Candidates dropping out because they didn't see themselves having a shot in the coming states does not equate to "the establishment" stacking the deck for Biden. Bernie couldn't win a one on one race. That's not "the establishment's" fault.

Closing ranks around an obvious second tier candidate after Bernie had won the first three primaries was unprecedented and speaks to a deep hostility that many in the establishment had to a Bernie nomination. I mean normally it would have made more sense for Klobuchar to stay in just two days until her homestate voted and then concede. The reason she and Pete didn't is because while they knew they had no chance to win at that point they did have a chance to impact the outcome.

It speaks to both hostility towards Bernie Sanders as well as a bigger question about just how democratic these primaries are. While I kind of understand the disappointment of Bernie supporters and how it seems unfair that his opponents coalesced in a clear attempt to defeat him, I also think it's pretty undemocratic to have several identical candidates take home a clear majority of the vote between them all while Bernie coasts to a plurality victory with 30% of the vote in most states. The broader issue here is how dependent our elections are on a two-candidate race.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 08:35:39 PM »

I got the book and read the prologue and first chapter this morning. So far it's very interesting and fun to read. It strikes me as fair but also quite frank and blunt. It begins with discussion of how Hillary Clinton was apparently open to running again because she was convinced that absolutely none of the potential candidates would be able to beat Trump, including Biden, but it also shares some insight into how Biden was reportedly worried about Clinton back in 2016 because he thought the FBI investigation was going to destroy her credibility. I've only read about 20 pages so I can't vouch for the book as a whole, but overall it leaves a good first impression.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 10:57:56 PM »

Got my copy yesterday. It's pretty interesting how much this book trashes public polling showing Biden winning by "huge margins" and their insistence that private internal polling on both sides were very accurate in predicting a close race hinged on just a couple of states.

I wonder if this is mostly hindsight bias or reflective of an actual chasm between what's publicly available versus what the campaigns see

It's tough to say. I think it's both, but there were leaks here and there that hinted at a closer Biden win than the likes of Rachel Bitecofer were leading the public to believe. I remember a somewhat internal but still publicly available presentation from the Biden campaign where their expectations and average leads in swing states were much lower than expected, and many posters here (probably myself included) assumed that it was because they wanted to lower expectations and get more donations. The Florida Democrats, awful as they are, were sounding the alarm bells for months about the growing crisis in the state. There were whisperings in the lead-up to the election (and confirmed in write-ups afterward) that Democrats expected Gideon to lose, and this was not even hinted at in most publicly available polling. The Selzer poll is the only credible poll I can think of that spelled out the state of the race in the midwest.

In short, I tend to believe them when they say that true private polling, as in the ones we never get to see, painted a much more accurate picture of the race than the ones we got from PPP and Quinnipiac.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies