Joint Session of Congress: Deputy POC Confirmation Hearing (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:27:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Joint Session of Congress: Deputy POC Confirmation Hearing (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Joint Session of Congress: Deputy POC Confirmation Hearing (Confirmed)  (Read 1348 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2021, 02:15:09 PM »
« edited: February 28, 2021, 11:55:13 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: EO 51-001
1. FalterinArc is hereby nominated for Deputy President of Congress.

Members of both chambers will have up to 72 hours to question the nominee. At the conclusion of said time or earlier if desired, both chambers will vote in this thread on the confirmation with myself administering the Senate one and SevenEleven administering the house side.

This is the first time we have confirmed someone for this position, and it is the first time we have done a join session like this. Constitution requires independent confirmation of the nominee so the votes cannot be combined.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 02:21:19 PM »

What was the job of the Deputy President of Congress again? Tongue
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 02:22:54 PM »

The Deputy to the Vice President I'm pretty sure.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 02:23:37 PM »

The Deputy to the Vice President I'm pretty sure.

Basically the Deputy Speaker/PPT equivalent for the Vice President, yes.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 02:30:31 PM »

Ok, so Question 1 for FalterinArc.

Could you go over any experience you may have at handling the tasks of Congress administration? Or if you lack said experience, how active have you been on your tenure as a Representative?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 02:37:57 PM »

Could you go over any experience you may have at handling the tasks of Congress administration? Or if you lack said experience, how active have you been on your tenure as a Representative?
I appreciate the question.

Former Speaker Cao appointed me Deputy a few months ago and I served in that role for the rest of his tenure. I didn't have to do much administration when he was speaker, as he was very prompt about his duties. But I did take action a couple times to open and close votes and I have made sure in my time in congress to keep track of what bills have not received any debate in several days to keep them from falling by the wayside. As for my activity as a representative, I have missed very few votes and I have taken the initiative to write bills and amendments and sponsor multiple other pieces of legislation.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 02:42:54 PM »

I appreciate the question.

Former Speaker Cao appointed me Deputy a few months ago and I served in that role for the rest of his tenure. I didn't have to do much administration when he was speaker, as he was very prompt about his duties. But I did take action a couple times to open and close votes and I have made sure in my time in congress to keep track of what bills have not received any debate in several days to keep them from falling by the wayside. As for my activity as a representative, I have missed very few votes and I have taken the initiative to write bills and amendments and sponsor multiple other pieces of legislation.

Ok, seems like you have been fairly diligent then Tongue

That is good for this position!
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 02:48:24 PM »

Also I was asked a question before I made an opening statement so I'm just going to sort of repeat what I posted in my office thread:

I've served in both chambers of congress and believe I have a strong idea of how the system operates. I hope that I have shown to you all to be an active enough legislator to serve in this role. If I am confirmed, I pledge to fulfill all my duties fully as an assistant to the Vice President and to keep the process of legislating moving steadily.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 02:59:23 PM »

Is the Deputy President of Congress supposed to be a sitting member of the Senate or House?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 03:12:45 PM »

Is the Deputy President of Congress supposed to be a sitting member of the Senate or House?

Its preferred but I don't remember if it s required.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 03:13:36 PM »

This didn't come up in the Congressional debates over the amendment (which we both participated in Tongue).

I think it the DPoC should be a member, though. Doesn't make sense for someone who was never elected to a Congressional role by any voters to have such an important procedural job, especially when every other job is held by either a member or the VP.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 03:17:29 PM »

It’s certainly legal as it’s not an elected office.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 03:20:41 PM »

If this works here, we might want to amend the constitution to incorporate the House into the confirmation of the VP, since that is President of whole Congress not just Senate like IRL.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 06:00:09 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2021, 06:04:48 PM by Ishan »

If this works here, we might want to amend the constitution to incorporate the House into the confirmation of the VP, since that is President of whole Congress not just Senate like IRL.
If nobody does that by the time I swear in as a Representative, I'm going to introduce an amendment to do that.

Edit:
At the beginning of each session of Congress, or whenever the post shall be vacant, a joint session of both houses of Congress convened by the Senate Presiding Officer the President shall select, with the consent of both houses of Congress, a Deputy President of Congress to exercise the Vice President's duties in the Congress whenever the Vice President shall have resigned, delegated, declared an absence or was inactive for a period of 24 hours.
Isn't that the case?

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 06:11:24 PM »

If nobody does that by the time I swear in as a Representative, I'm going to introduce an amendment to do that.

Edit:
At the beginning of each session of Congress, or whenever the post shall be vacant, a joint session of both houses of Congress convened by the Senate Presiding Officer the President shall select, with the consent of both houses of Congress, a Deputy President of Congress to exercise the Vice President's duties in the Congress whenever the Vice President shall have resigned, delegated, declared an absence or was inactive for a period of 24 hours.
Isn't that the case?

Well no, VP confirmation to fill a vacancy is handled in a different section and treated like other nominations.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 10:21:02 PM »

Question to the nominee:

What do you think the role of Deputy POC is and how do you think you'll be effective in this new role?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 10:27:46 PM »

Question to the nominee:

What do you think the role of Deputy POC is and how do you think you'll be effective in this new role?
Thank you for the questions.

To me the role of Deputy POC means overseeing this congress and making sure it is functional. This role is largely similar to that of the Vice President and I would largely serve as an assistant to them. (Similar to the roles of Deputy PPT and Deputy Speaker of the house.) As for my effectiveness, I plan to continue to keep track of bills and motion for action when there has been no debate. I'll also work closely with the Vice President, as we will be sharing these duties, so that we can coordinate together when overseeing congress and make sure not to step on each other's toes.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 10:28:08 PM »

The nominee has my full support!
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2021, 11:13:12 PM »

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 01:12:47 AM »

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 01:23:40 AM »

A followup question on your plans to help keep track of bills.

The noticeboard is of course an integral part of helping to keep track of bills. During my service as Speaker I naturally prioritized consistent updates of the House noticeboard, but even then it became difficult to keep parts of it fully updated (which is why I don't blame Sev for his current position in this matter, considering he's even busier RL than I was at the time). While I realize you've never actually had the chance to help with the noticeboard, do you foresee any concrete actions you might take as Deputy President of Congress to help the Vice President or other officers of Congress in doing so, and to make sure the noticeboard fulfils its function of keeping members of Congress informed?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 08:17:56 PM »

I move for a final vote asap.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 08:32:05 PM »

A followup question on your plans to help keep track of bills.

The noticeboard is of course an integral part of helping to keep track of bills. During my service as Speaker I naturally prioritized consistent updates of the House noticeboard, but even then it became difficult to keep parts of it fully updated (which is why I don't blame Sev for his current position in this matter, considering he's even busier RL than I was at the time). While I realize you've never actually had the chance to help with the noticeboard, do you foresee any concrete actions you might take as Deputy President of Congress to help the Vice President or other officers of Congress in doing so, and to make sure the noticeboard fulfils its function of keeping members of Congress informed?
Thank you for the question.

With this role, the Vice President would still be in charge of their portion of the noticeboard, but I can assist the Vice President by providing reminders and checking the noticeboard frequently enough to notice if there are any mistakes that require rectifying. My role in this, may be minor frankly, but I shall do my best to see if there are ways I can share the responsibilities of upkeeping the noticeboard.

Also, no objection from me for moving to a final vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 11:04:35 PM »

Congress members have 24 hrs to object.

Just a reminder once the vote starts, they will be calculated separately.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 11:30:17 PM »

No further objections.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies