Did Gerald Ford want to run in 1980?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:27:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Did Gerald Ford want to run in 1980?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Gerald Ford want to run in 1980?  (Read 1100 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2021, 09:46:30 AM »

Did Gerald Ford actually have a desire to run 4 prez again 1980? I noticed that it wasn't until March of that year that he formally declined to seek the presidency again. I think he actually wanted to run again after losing narrowly in 1976 but feared to losing the GOP primary to Reagan, who was the clear favorite and whom Ford just barely defeated in 1976 as sitting POTUS.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 03:02:10 PM »

I think yes, or at least that he had some desire to return to the White House and get elected in his own right. However, he probably refrained because he knew that Reagan would win the primary. If nominated, however, he would have defeated Carter easily.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 06:08:32 PM »

Most accounts say yes. He would not have won the primary but would have defeated Carter in a similar landslide.
RRusso1982
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »

On one hand, Ford really liked being an ex-President.  As one of only 2 living ex-Presidents at that time, the other one reviled and in disgrace, he loved the perks that came with the title.  But Ford was a very competitive person.  He really seethed over his narrow loss to Carter in 1976 and wanted another shot at Carter.  But he did not want to come off that pedestal and grub for votes in New Hampshire.  So he sat back and hoped that the primaries would lead to a brokered convention where he could then throw his hat in the ring.  It was clear that wasn't going to happen and it must have been tough to see his old nemesis Reagan get the nomination.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 05:41:43 PM »

Ford was very nearly Ronald Reagan's VPOTUS nominee in 1980, and it's interesting to look at that scenario. If Jim Baker (Top Bush campaign aide, and top Reagan campaign aide) is to be believed Reagan had offered the position of VP in 1980 to Ford. Ford wanted the position to be sort of a co presidency with Reagan, but Reagan and Baker wouldn't deal with this. So in the 11th hour, they switched to Bush.

Here's another source
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/reagan-ford-co-presidency-that-never-was.html

To the original question, I'm not sure, but I think he had some inclinations to give it a go. He skipped moving onto corporate boards so he could continue to be politically active, he did forgo the run though and the rest is history.
RRusso1982
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 08:37:37 AM »

Ford was very nearly Ronald Reagan's VPOTUS nominee in 1980, and it's interesting to look at that scenario. If Jim Baker (Top Bush campaign aide, and top Reagan campaign aide) is to be believed Reagan had offered the position of VP in 1980 to Ford. Ford wanted the position to be sort of a co presidency with Reagan, but Reagan and Baker wouldn't deal with this. So in the 11th hour, they switched to Bush.

Here's another source
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/reagan-ford-co-presidency-that-never-was.html

To the original question, I'm not sure, but I think he had some inclinations to give it a go. He skipped moving onto corporate boards so he could continue to be politically active, he did forgo the run though and the rest is history.

True.  Through the spring of 1980, polls showed that Ford was the most popular choice as Reagan's running mate.  Reagan approached him several times during the spring about being his running mate, but Ford said no.  Finally, as the convention was starting ,ford said maybe, but only if the office was vastly expanded.  Basically, a co presidency.  The media was talking about a dream ticket.  In reality, it would have been a debacle.  The problem was, by the time the negotiations with Ford fell through on Wednesday night, it was too late for Reagan to start vetting other candidates.  So Bush was really the only other option.  He was there in Detroit.  He had been the runner up in the primaries.  Reagan knew he would accept.  And he provided geographic balance to the ticket.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 09:34:59 AM »

Here's another source

True.  Through the spring of 1980, polls showed that Ford was the most popular choice as Reagan's running mate.  Reagan approached him several times during the spring about being his running mate, but Ford said no.  Finally, as the convention was starting ,ford said maybe, but only if the office was vastly expanded.  Basically, a co presidency.  The media was talking about a dream ticket.  In reality, it would have been a debacle.  The problem was, by the time the negotiations with Ford fell through on Wednesday night, it was too late for Reagan to start vetting other candidates.  So Bush was really the only other option.  He was there in Detroit.  He had been the runner up in the primaries.  Reagan knew he would accept.  And he provided geographic balance to the ticket.

Yup, to th best of my knowledge, Reagan gave it up after Ford gave a TV interview during the convention in which he demanded major authority, Kissinger as SoS and Alan Greenspan as Treasury Secretary. I've been searching for said interview online, but was unable to find it. Just a very small portion at a flashback on YouTube.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies