Spanish elections and politics III / Pedro Sánchez faces a new term as PM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:19:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Spanish elections and politics III / Pedro Sánchez faces a new term as PM
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 75
Author Topic: Spanish elections and politics III / Pedro Sánchez faces a new term as PM  (Read 98280 times)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: July 23, 2023, 04:17:01 PM »

What...a...mess of an election.

I will mark on my diary a... December election?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1276 on: July 23, 2023, 04:17:53 PM »

I take back what I said, it seems like Rufian is calling for Sanchez and Diaz to just throw money at Catalonia in order to get his votes.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1277 on: July 23, 2023, 04:19:06 PM »

It seems Sanchez's gamble paid off.  He replicated what Schröder pull off in 2005.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1278 on: July 23, 2023, 04:19:24 PM »

I take back what I said, it seems like Rufian is calling for Sanchez and Diaz to just throw money at Catalonia in order to get his votes.
what an incredible cuck, hopefully Catalans throw him out of office ASAP.
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #1279 on: July 23, 2023, 04:19:44 PM »

Yes, no calls for a referendum. Just money
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1280 on: July 23, 2023, 04:20:10 PM »

Doing that with PP getting more seats and vote share is bad optics which just means PSOE will get creamed in the next election.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1281 on: July 23, 2023, 04:21:25 PM »

Yes, no calls for a referendum. Just money

The PNVisation of ERC
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1282 on: July 23, 2023, 04:21:32 PM »

I think that, if the right is really desperate to govern, they could grant all possible privileges to the PNV, perhaps a referendum for more autonomy.
Absolutely impossible. Vox won't accept this.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1283 on: July 23, 2023, 04:22:49 PM »

EDIT: PSOE/Sumar/ERC/Bildu/PNV/BNG are at 172; PP/Vox/CCA/UPN at 171. (CCA could join either side, for the record.) Right now Junts abstaining would reelect Sanchez. I don't think ERC would truly force new elections at which PP might well win if they can take a course of action which would restore Sanchez -- although I might be wrong, and there probably exist currents within the party which would want this. But such an action wouldn't even be particularly strange from Junts, although it's tough to say that it's guaranteed.

Not very surprising from Rufian, and this probably means they need Puigdemont to merely abstain rather than actually vote for PSOE, which is a much easier lift. But it isn't guaranteed and there's enough out that we might still be wrong.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1284 on: July 23, 2023, 04:24:52 PM »

With Junts being the tie breaker, a second election is the most likely outcome. I cannot see Junts abstaining in a investiture vote without strong concessions like, Puigdemont being able to walk free in Spanish soil.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1285 on: July 23, 2023, 04:25:40 PM »

All things being equal, while the left may not have been triumphant tonight it's always good to see the fascist apologizers go down. I Hope Sumar might be able to edge them out, although that looks unlikely, they do appear to be nearly tied.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1286 on: July 23, 2023, 04:29:13 PM »

In what universe would Catalonian nationalists be rewarded for sabotaging a government that, by all accounts, receives broad support from Catalonians of all backgrounds, as evidenced by the massive surge in the support of PSOE and Sumar in rural Catalonia? What is the chain of events where this would work out for them?

I mean, the Catalan voters of the separatist parties want independence, it is quite obvious that they punished them with abstention for supporting the central government and not getting a referendum.

BigSerg is weirdly right here : the whole implosion of the Catalan government and seperatist party system is because the civil society orgs (Omnium, ANC, CDR) that have grown massively vs the actual parties are now trying to apply serious pressure on the parties for "selling out" to Sanchez and the whole fiasco of the procès in general. This is not a negligible factor in whether Junts and ERC back a new Sanchez government rather than doing a double or nothing "referendum or bust" negotiation strategy, at least for a sustained period of time, enough to calm the base of the nationalist support.

I haven't discounted the fact that Catalonian parties and activists, being deranged and dangerous psychos, could make a grave mistake imperiling an arrangement that has worked surprisingly well for them. I am making an argument that it should be abundantly clear to them that the typical Catalonian-speaking person approves of Pedro Sanchez, abhors the Spanish right and cares about preserving Catalonian autonomy as it exists under the current system. We don't need to debate this: that is the obvious message as sent by Catalonian voters tonight.

I know you love effortless superiority and refuse to debate us plebs who are not in your good books but here goes :  no it isn't because there are many factors as to why the PSC did well and the popularity of Sanchez is not necessarily one of them (the hatred of the Right might be yes, but then that was present the past few elections as well). For example, a huge chunk of refusenik seperatists who would vote for Rufian solely because for years he acted like a troll in the parliament then suddenly became a Sanchez-stan are probably disaffected. THe whole seperatist bloc in Catalonia is going through an acute crisis, the government only hasn't called new elections because they know this type of result could occur, but you simply do not know if the extra PSC seats is a ringing endorsement of Pedro Sanchez. Catalonia has its own political culture and that is a factor as much as what goes on in Moncloa.

The message sent by Catalan voters is that they have lost trust in the separatist parties. We are telling you that in order to regain that trust, they will absolutely attempt to sabotage a PSOE government. Rufian's position within ERC is weakened with this result, there is a faction there that is in favour of not investing Sanchez that will come out strengthened, and Junts is now fully against a PSOE government.

It's undeniable that part of the PSC increase comes from the nationalist camp. Not neccessarily from the most militant and 'hyperventilating' sectors, but not all the ERC loses are gains for abstention. Even though the Catalan society is highly polarized, the pro-independence camp is not monolithic. Also, don't understimate the beneficial effects of the government's policy under Sánchez, in order to pacífy and stabilize Catalonia. There's conflict weariness and many people knew a PP-VOX government would burn everything again. Even the CEO (sociological institute ran by the Catalan government) concedes the PSC is leading vote intention in the eventuality of a new regional election
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #1287 on: July 23, 2023, 04:29:46 PM »

It seems that the PNV has not flatly refused to support the PP. It could be possible that Abascal resigns because of vox's horrible results and they support a Pnv - Pp government without asking for anything in return.
Logical

« Reply #1288 on: July 23, 2023, 04:30:13 PM »

The Quebec law: every failed separatist party will inevitably shift their focus to milking as much money as possible from the central government.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1289 on: July 23, 2023, 04:31:01 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2023, 07:28:47 PM by Mike88 »

Junts leader is about to talk. Let's see what she says.
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #1290 on: July 23, 2023, 04:31:44 PM »

In what universe would Catalonian nationalists be rewarded for sabotaging a government that, by all accounts, receives broad support from Catalonians of all backgrounds, as evidenced by the massive surge in the support of PSOE and Sumar in rural Catalonia? What is the chain of events where this would work out for them?

I mean, the Catalan voters of the separatist parties want independence, it is quite obvious that they punished them with abstention for supporting the central government and not getting a referendum.

BigSerg is weirdly right here : the whole implosion of the Catalan government and seperatist party system is because the civil society orgs (Omnium, ANC, CDR) that have grown massively vs the actual parties are now trying to apply serious pressure on the parties for "selling out" to Sanchez and the whole fiasco of the procès in general. This is not a negligible factor in whether Junts and ERC back a new Sanchez government rather than doing a double or nothing "referendum or bust" negotiation strategy, at least for a sustained period of time, enough to calm the base of the nationalist support.

I haven't discounted the fact that Catalonian parties and activists, being deranged and dangerous psychos, could make a grave mistake imperiling an arrangement that has worked surprisingly well for them. I am making an argument that it should be abundantly clear to them that the typical Catalonian-speaking person approves of Pedro Sanchez, abhors the Spanish right and cares about preserving Catalonian autonomy as it exists under the current system. We don't need to debate this: that is the obvious message as sent by Catalonian voters tonight.

I know you love effortless superiority and refuse to debate us plebs who are not in your good books but here goes :  no it isn't because there are many factors as to why the PSC did well and the popularity of Sanchez is not necessarily one of them (the hatred of the Right might be yes, but then that was present the past few elections as well). For example, a huge chunk of refusenik seperatists who would vote for Rufian solely because for years he acted like a troll in the parliament then suddenly became a Sanchez-stan are probably disaffected. THe whole seperatist bloc in Catalonia is going through an acute crisis, the government only hasn't called new elections because they know this type of result could occur, but you simply do not know if the extra PSC seats is a ringing endorsement of Pedro Sanchez. Catalonia has its own political culture and that is a factor as much as what goes on in Moncloa.

The message sent by Catalan voters is that they have lost trust in the separatist parties. We are telling you that in order to regain that trust, they will absolutely attempt to sabotage a PSOE government. Rufian's position within ERC is weakened with this result, there is a faction there that is in favour of not investing Sanchez that will come out strengthened, and Junts is now fully against a PSOE government.

It's undeniable that part of the PSC increase comes from the nationalist camp. Not neccessarily from the most militant and 'hyperventilating' sectors, but not all the ERC loses are gains for abstention. Even though the Catalan society is highly polarized, the pro-independence camp is not monolithic. Also, don't understimate the beneficial effects of the government's policy under Sánchez, in order to pacífy and stabilize Catalonia. There's conflict weariness and many people knew a PP-VOX government would burn everything again. Even the CEO (sociological institute ran by the Catalan government) concedes the PSC is leading vote intention in the eventuality of a new regional election

Yes, pSC is up almost 300,000 votes in Barcelona province
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1291 on: July 23, 2023, 04:31:53 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2023, 04:38:12 PM by Zinneke »

I am not denying this (edit : alongside lower turnout). I am saying it is for reasons outside of Sanchez's campaign/popularity.

PSC is seen as more credible due to separatist infighting, and vote weariness or issue salience too (massively helped PSC during Corona elections for example) is a factor.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1292 on: July 23, 2023, 04:33:28 PM »

Junts leader is about to talk. Let's see what see says.

She just said she will not support Sanchéz, regardless what he gives them.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1293 on: July 23, 2023, 04:33:39 PM »

An AP government is inevitable, and it seems like it will do without VOX.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1294 on: July 23, 2023, 04:34:39 PM »

Spain: “Oh no I forgot to do my midterms can I copy yours from last year?”
USA: “Yeah sure thing Mexico, just change the answers a bit”
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #1295 on: July 23, 2023, 04:35:49 PM »

The PNV sounds strangely soft, not even compared to past elections. It should also be remembered that, outside the parties, Urkullu and Feijóo are personal friends. If Abascal gives up any kind of power, I think there is a good chance of another Rajoy.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1296 on: July 23, 2023, 04:40:32 PM »

It's amazing to discover the discredited Félix Tezanos was more spotted on than Narciso Michavila (GAD3)

As for myself, I went to the beach and walked by the shore on order to calm my anxiety for the results. I didn't watch my cell phone until 21,:40 GMT. This election is crucial for the political future of Spain. A PP-VOX majority could have been the beginning of a reactionary involution with Feijóo making clear overtures to Meloni (via Manfred Weber). The result is complex, but it's a momentary relief.

There's a big difference between the lesser evil and the absolute evil. Therefore I'm a Perra Sánchez,  too ♥

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1297 on: July 23, 2023, 04:41:54 PM »

Hopefully in a few months Sanchez will be a political nonfactor
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1298 on: July 23, 2023, 04:46:25 PM »

98.85% of precincts reporting:

33.0% PP, 136 seats