Spanish elections and politics III / Pedro Sánchez faces a new term as PM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:06:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Spanish elections and politics III / Pedro Sánchez faces a new term as PM
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 75
Author Topic: Spanish elections and politics III / Pedro Sánchez faces a new term as PM  (Read 95255 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: May 26, 2021, 06:36:37 AM »

Love to see a higher % of VOX voters supporting a pardon than that of PP voters.

Joking aside, I'd really love to see the % of PSOE voters against the pardon that doesn't include PSC voters.

For a comparison here is an old poll that found a higher top line for Catalonia (72% support instead of 66%)

That poll showed 60% support for a pardon among PSC voters. My guess (Since this poll found much higher support all around) is that in Catalonia PSC is pretty much split in half, Catalan UP supporters are overwhelmingly in favour but with a small minority against and the right wing unionist parties are against uniformly, with like a 15% minority in favour

PSC voters amounted to 12% of PSOE voters nationwide, so probably the % among non-PSC voters is just barely at 20% or so
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #401 on: May 27, 2021, 05:26:04 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2021, 05:33:12 AM by tack50 »

Well, a 2nd part of the poll I mentioned yesterday dropped. The most interesting part is the part where they polled people on all of the prospective tax increases from Sanchez's government. And all of them are varying degrees of unpopular with the only exception of taxes on alcohol and tobacco.

If anything they are more unpopular than I thought! Hereis the full poll in Spanish; but for people who don't speak it here it goes

Tolls on highways: Disapprove+72
Eliminating reduced VAT on certain products: Disapprove+28
Gas tax hike: Disapprove+65
Alcohol and Tobacco tax hike: Approve+13
Coroprate tax hike: Disapprove+33
Income tax hike: Disapprove+75
Wealth tax hike: Disapprove+42
Inheritance tax hike: Disapprove+64
Self employed quota hike: Disapprove+78

The methodology is a bit weird since they didn't count "algo de acuerdo" as part of the approve group, but even if you include them many of Sanchez's tax hikes poll on the order of 25-75

They also polled the approvals of all the party leaders. None are good but surprisingly Sanchez no longer leads

Yolanda Díaz: 3.6/10
Pablo Casado: 3.6/10
Pedro Sánchez: 3.4/10
Inés Arrimadas: 3.3/10
Santiago Abascal: 2.8/10

Surprisingly close between all of them

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #402 on: May 27, 2021, 05:37:00 AM »

In Andalucia, Vox has removed their support for the PP-C's government because of the regional government approval to receive refugees from Ceuta. What's the likelihood of an early election, again, in this region?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #403 on: May 27, 2021, 05:52:17 AM »

In Andalucia, Vox has removed their support for the PP-C's government because of the regional government approval to receive refugees from Ceuta. What's the likelihood of an early election, again, in this region?

I don't know, but in a big upset yesterday, Vox abstained against a big project to make a zoning reform in Andalucia, which ended with the law failing. So depending on how agressive Vox is with them voting down everything, there might be an election relatively soon, perhaps after the sumer?

On the other hand there aren't many rumours about an election and the PP-Cs coalition there is working quite well (plus Cs obviously does not want one and I don't think PP wants either, premier Moreno Bonilla is a moderate in the party).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #404 on: May 27, 2021, 05:56:57 AM »

I don't know, but in a big upset yesterday, Vox abstained against a big project to make a zoning reform in Andalucia, which ended with the law failing. So depending on how agressive Vox is with them voting down everything, there might be an election relatively soon, perhaps after the sumer?
What is the big reform about and why did Vox vote against it?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #405 on: May 27, 2021, 06:01:47 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2021, 06:05:00 AM by Mike88 »

On the other hand there aren't many rumours about an election and the PP-Cs coalition there is working quite well (plus Cs obviously does not want one and I don't think PP wants either, premier Moreno Bonilla is a moderate in the party).

Yes, I read about that vote in the regional parliament and that PP is already saying that "voters punish parties that vote against governments that work well". Even though there are few rumours of a snap regional elections, it would probably be not a bad idea for PP to "dramatize" things, as PSOE-A is in internal infighting, C's is sinking faster than the Titanic and Vox could be punished by rightwing voters because of their decision to vote against PP-C's.

Curiously, a snap election could also benefit Sanchéz as he could see his nemesis, Susana Diáz, be forced out of the leadership, in the advent of a PSOE defeat.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #406 on: May 27, 2021, 06:03:53 AM »

What is the big reform about and why did Vox vote against it?

Well, Vox voted against it because they are pissed at Andalucía admitting 13 refugees, they supported it on every previous step so far.

I am not too sure about the specifics of the reform, but it seems to be fairly generic zoning deregulation (proponents argue they are getting rid of the complex network of 235 different zoning laws), as well as making things simpler, faster and easier in general. Detractors say this will bring back "savage urbanism from the Aznar/housing bubble era"

The reform looks like a good idea to me, although I will admit Andalucia is not exactly a place deeply affected by any sort of housing crisis, not even in the main cities like Sevilla or Malaga.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #407 on: May 28, 2021, 02:59:29 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2021, 03:17:04 PM by Velasco »

Personally I think a pardon would be a bad idea because of the reason the courts said (they haven't expressed any regret whatsoever). However it is not an issue that ranks all that high in my list of priorities even when it certainly does for other people.

You are buying the arguments of the Spanish Right and that's sad, because many PSOE voters might be in the same opinion. I think you should listen more to José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero and the competent Ximo Puig, instead paying attention to the likes of Alfonso Guerra snd a certain Ibarra (or reading El Mundo)

Pardons are neccessary because they are a prerequisite to start trying to solve the conflict through negotiation, as well as they put a remedy to the disproportionate penalties. There are no equivalents to our crime of sedition in European legislations and those Catalan politicians are going to stay 4 years in prison, which is more than enough for a serious disobedience.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #408 on: May 28, 2021, 03:02:29 PM »

The Spanish Right know full well internments without fair trials and excessive punishments only make the crisis worse. That is what they want though. They want people to believe Spain is on the brink of dissolution and communist revolution because its a much simpler message than reconciliation, and it wins them votes.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #409 on: May 28, 2021, 03:17:07 PM »

Well, a 2nd part of the poll I mentioned yesterday dropped. The most interesting part is the part where they polled people on all of the prospective tax increases from Sanchez's government. And all of them are varying degrees of unpopular with the only exception of taxes on alcohol and tobacco.

If anything they are more unpopular than I thought! Hereis the full poll in Spanish; but for people who don't speak it here it goes

The methodology is a bit weird since they didn't count "algo de acuerdo" as part of the approve group, but even if you include them many of Sanchez's tax hikes poll on the order of 25-75

They also polled the approvals of all the party leaders. None are good but surprisingly Sanchez no longer leads

Interesting, thought wealth taxes would be popular.  In Canada where I live they are super popular while income tax hikes, aren't they only on those making over 130,000 Euros and I know in the English speaking world tax hikes on rich quite popular.  Trudeau won in big part on taxing those with incomes over 200K Canadian which is around 130,000 Euros while in US, Biden's plan to raise taxes on those making over 400K US dollars quite popular too.  Off course raising income taxes on middle class very unpopular and in order to fund most things you have to do that thus challenge.
Just the facts
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #410 on: May 29, 2021, 06:49:09 AM »

Interesting, thought wealth taxes would be popular.  In Canada where I live they are super popular while income tax hikes, aren't they only on those making over 130,000 Euros and I know in the English speaking world tax hikes on rich quite popular.  Trudeau won in big part on taxing those with incomes over 200K Canadian which is around 130,000 Euros while in US, Biden's plan to raise taxes on those making over 400K US dollars quite popular too.  Off course raising income taxes on middle class very unpopular and in order to fund most things you have to do that thus challenge.

"Middle class" is a central concept to understand the stable support for the right-of center in Spain. It's a deliberately vague and flexible concept designed to create a common mental space that unites everyone from CEOs to minimum wage workers in an imagined community of "decent people who raise early to go to work" and who get fleeced by the Government who steals their money to give away to lazy foreigners on welfare. So every time there is a tax hike for the 1 per cent the center-right only needs to say "they want to raise taxes for the middle cass".
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #411 on: May 29, 2021, 07:18:08 AM »

Personally I think a pardon would be a bad idea because of the reason the courts said (they haven't expressed any regret whatsoever). However it is not an issue that ranks all that high in my list of priorities even when it certainly does for other people.

You are buying the arguments of the Spanish Right and that's sad, because many PSOE voters might be in the same opinion. I think you should listen more to José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero and the competent Ximo Puig, instead paying attention to the likes of Alfonso Guerra snd a certain Ibarra (or reading El Mundo)

Pardons are neccessary because they are a prerequisite to start trying to solve the conflict through negotiation, as well as they put a remedy to the disproportionate penalties. There are no equivalents to our crime of sedition in European legislations and those Catalan politicians are going to stay 4 years in prison, which is more than enough for a serious disobedience.

To be honest I've almost completely given up on a solution to the conflict via negotiation. To me it seems that the secessionists won't accept anything other than an independence referendum, so there isn't really anything to negotiate. There is no middle ground between "independence referendum" and "no independence referendum" and therefore there is nothing to negotiate.

This doesn't mean I want a hard line on Catalonia either; and if it did solve the conflict for a long time, I would be willing to give a pardon.

But to me giving a pardon to a bunch of politicians who haven't expressed an ounce of regret and have even said that they'd do it again if they had the chance, is a mistake; especially when the only thing it will solve is to give Sanchez a bit of stability (pardons probably mean he takes the government to its full term or comes close).

Like you say it's not even like there is a shortage of PSOE people with similar views. The likes of Fernandez Vara or Garcia-Page have expressed similar views or even tougher ones.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #412 on: May 29, 2021, 07:49:37 AM »

Yeah, for whatever reason, the right's propaganda campaign against any and all tax increases has surprisingly worked extremely well. While I definitely think the toll roads propsal or the VAT increase are extremely stupid and bad, I am surprised to see so many people against increases to income tax or especially hiking the wealth tax.

I definitely know about the #StopSucesiones campaign led by Vox in Andalucia was a total success and indeed almost the first thing the right did when they got into power there was repeal the inheritance tax.

The income tax increase isn't an increase per se, but rather Sánchez getting rid of the joint filing option. Not that many people do joint filing in Spain but it's basically an increase on families where one member has a lot of income and the other member very little.

(there might also be an increase on those making over 300k € but I am not sure)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #413 on: May 29, 2021, 08:10:18 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2021, 08:16:47 AM by Velasco »

To be honest I've almost completely given up on a solution to the conflict via negotiation. To me it seems that the secessionists won't accept anything other than an independence referendum, so there isn't really anything to negotiate. There is no middle ground between "independence referendum" and "no independence referendum" and therefore there is nothing to negotiate.

This doesn't mean I want a hard line on Catalonia either; and if it did solve the conflict for a long time, I would be willing to give a pardon.

But to me giving a pardon to a bunch of politicians who haven't expressed an ounce of regret and have even said that they'd do it again if they had the chance, is a mistake; especially when the only thing it will solve is to give Sanchez a bit of stability (pardons probably mean he takes the government to its full term or comes close).

Like you say it's not even like there is a shortage of PSOE people with similar views. The likes of Fernandez Vara or Garcia-Page have expressed similar views or even tougher ones.

I think you are wrong, for there exist middle grounds consisting on a redefinition of the relationship between Catalunya and the rest of Spain (Statute of Autonomy, financing system, etcetera). Even though the path of negotiation will be long and tortous,  it's the only wat to find a compromise solution between the two halves of Catalonia and between Catalonia and the rest of Spain. The more realistic people within the independence movement know that their final goals are not attainable in the short term,  so the question here is finding a common ground between pragmatists in both sides.  Giving up in negotiation and keeping that people in jail only leads to the aggravatuon of the political conflict,  which surely leads to decadence for Catalonia and the rest of the state, as well as the dismantling of Spain in the mid term. Catalans will end voting, one way or another,  either an independence referendum or major reforms. The government must be courageous and explain the pardons are neccessary for concord and for the future of the country. Besides, the narrative of the most radical separarists gravitates on the repressive nature of the Spanish state. Releasing the jailed politicians is the best way to counter that narrative and demonstrate that Spain is not Turkey. In case radical nationalists take over in Madrid and Barcelona, be sure that we are doomed.  Plain and simple.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #414 on: May 29, 2021, 08:39:39 AM »

The Spanish Right know full well internments without fair trials and excessive punishments only make the crisis worse. That is what they want though. They want people to believe Spain is on the brink of dissolution and communist revolution because its a much simpler message than reconciliation, and it wins them votes.

Why is pure nihilistic cynicism maybe *the* defining characteristic of so much of the right these days?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #415 on: May 29, 2021, 09:00:32 AM »

Why is pure nihilistic cynicism maybe *the* defining characteristic of so much of the right these days?

From my conversations with them : because you feel like society works against you, so why should you feel any kind of optimism or empathy? Oh, and because you at least like to feel you have the power to live seperately from society, and that society depends on you rather than the other way round, even though its not the case.

Of course, much of it is exaggerated, but the anecdote from a right-winger here on the self-employed in Spain having to go through mountains of tax code when the regular employee has it done for them, that's actually a very good way to alienate people that otherwise wouldn't mind paying their fair share for quality public services.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #416 on: May 29, 2021, 06:31:53 PM »

Yeah, for whatever reason, the right's propaganda campaign against any and all tax increases has surprisingly worked extremely well. While I definitely think the toll roads propsal or the VAT increase are extremely stupid and bad, I am surprised to see so many people against increases to income tax or especially hiking the wealth tax.

I definitely know about the #StopSucesiones campaign led by Vox in Andalucia was a total success and indeed almost the first thing the right did when they got into power there was repeal the inheritance tax.

The income tax increase isn't an increase per se, but rather Sánchez getting rid of the joint filing option. Not that many people do joint filing in Spain but it's basically an increase on families where one member has a lot of income and the other member very little.

(there might also be an increase on those making over 300k € but I am not sure)

I think plan was originally a 2 point hike on incomes over 130,000 Euros and 4 points over 300,000 Euros, but so far only raised by 2 points on over 300K.  That being said GOP always attacked Democrats over this, but Biden's promise to not raise taxes on anyone making less than 400K helped a lot so wouldn't PSOE be smart to do that?  Problem is Spain has a lot fewer rich people than US does never mind as an EU member, they can easily re-locate to countries with lower top rates thus probably wouldn't come close to EU targets.  But besides once EU brings back deficit rules, tax hikes or spending cuts will be required no matter who is in power.
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #417 on: June 12, 2021, 03:48:13 PM »

Leadership changes in the left

Podemos Congress

Podemos is having its Fourth Citizen Assembly right now, for the first time without God, also known as Pablo Iglesias. Today, free and fair primaries were held, in which party members got to express their will to elect Social Rights Minister Ione Belarra as the new Secretary-General of Podemos. Results of this hotly (un)contested race will be announced tomorrow, though the base's enthusiasm for the three candidates (Belarra, a councillor from a town with a population of less than 20.000 and a random Podemos member) was reflected in a 38,5% turnout.

In addition to anointing Belarra as Secretary-General, He has determined that the best course of action is to have a dual leadership and, accordingly, has touched Yolanda Díaz to be UP's candidate for the 2023 election. Of course, in due time UP's components will also get the chance to democratically choose her.

PSOE-A leadership contest

In a more interesting primary, the membership of the Andalusian branch of the PSOE will decide tomorrow who gets to lose next year's regional election to president Juanma Moreno (PP). The reason to watch out is that this is an internal battle within the PSOE-A, and political junkies have been longing for some good old-fashioned socialist drama.

On one side, there is incumbent Secretary-General Susana Díaz, whose impressive record includes going from prospective first female PM to actual first socialist opposition leader in Andalusia, losing along the way the leadership of the national party to a guy who had just resigned in disgrace from that same post and who (in his late 30s!) used to spent much of his time tweeting stuff like this and this. Since that guy became PM, she has had to give up her favorite hobby of plotting his downfall, so she has taken on a new one: stubbornly clinging on to her office.

However, the PM guy and his esteemed advisor, Dominic Cummings with hair implants, are not having it; so they have propped up an opponent, Sevilla mayor Juan Espadas, in order to refresh the leadership of the PSOE-A (translation: install a loyalist). He has the advantage of not being Susana Díaz, and the disadvantage of being the candidate of Pedro Sánchez and the aforementioned advisor, whose decision-making has been widely questioned in the party after piloting the Madrid fiasco.

There's also a third candidate, but he doesn't matter.

The results should be available by this time tomorrow, and if no candidate obtains at least 50% of the vote, a runoff will be held in a week. Díaz's re-election would mean that there is, after all, some level of real internal opposition to Pedro Sánchez, not just dinosaurs and mummys from the González era. That is the last thing our fearless leader needs, considering that his government is under fire for soon-to-be-granted partial pardons to the jailed pro-independence politicians.

Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #418 on: June 13, 2021, 01:24:17 PM »

Can anyone tell something more about new Podemos leader?
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #419 on: June 13, 2021, 01:38:24 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2021, 01:54:46 PM by kaoras »

From the early results, it seems that Espadas is winning comfortably in the PSOE-A leadership race.
Edit: 55-40 for Espadas apparently.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #420 on: June 13, 2021, 02:20:07 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2021, 02:23:47 PM by Mike88 »

Sources of the candidacy of @susanadiaz already assume defeat and that @JuanEspadasSVQ has won the primaries with more than 50% of the vote, and a second round would not be necessary: "It is already clear."

Caution, there still counting and Andalusia is very large.

Current tally: (85% counted)

56.0% Juan Espadas
37.4% Susana Diaz
  6.6% Luis Ángel Hierro
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #421 on: June 13, 2021, 02:32:38 PM »

Finally some good news for Pedro Sánchez. He’s also getting a nice photo-op with Biden tomorrow (after being snubbed for months by the White House), so they must be pretty happy in Moncloa Palace.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #422 on: June 13, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »

The Mayor of Sevilla Juan Espadas won the primary election in a landslide,  getting 75.29% of the vote. Worth noting the high turnout among the Andalusian PSOE membership with more than 46,500 votes cast.  Good riddance,  Susana Díaz

https://www.eldiario.es/andalucia/espadas-gana-primarias-psoe-andaluz-fulmina-carrera-susana-diaz-abre-nuevo-ciclo-politico_1_8033411.html

The rally to ptotest against the imminent pardon to the jailed Catalan politicians held today has been unsurprisingly capitalized by Vox and the Madrid premier Isabel Díaz Ayuso.  Pablo Casado and Inés Arrimadas were booed by the crowd at Colón Square. A letter sent by ERC leader Oriol Junqueras renouncing to the unilateral path to independence softened things for the Spanish government

https://www.eldiario.es/politica/vox-acapara-protesta-colon-alabanzas-ayuso-abucheos-casado-movilizacion_1_8032770.html
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #423 on: June 13, 2021, 06:18:29 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2021, 06:33:34 PM by Velasco »

Meeting between Pedro Sánchez and Joe Biden
https://english.elpais.com/international/2021-06-10/joe-biden-and-pedro-sanchez-will-hold-a-bilateral-meeting-at-the-upcoming-nato-summit.html

United States President Joe Biden and Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez will hold a bilateral meeting in Brussels on Monday, on the margins of a NATO summit. It will be “a conversation,” according to Spanish government sources, and not just a protocol greeting.

The White House and La Moncloa, Spain’s seat of power, have been in contact over recent days in order to ensure that the encounter between the two leaders – who have never met – not be limited to just a greeting, and be instead a conversation with content. While the points to be discussed have not been finalized, they are likely to include the role of Spain in NATO and the trip that Sánchez is currently on in Central America, the same sources reported (...)

The fact that Biden is yet to make a phone call to Sánchez since he got to the White House, despite having contacted around 30 or so political leaders in other parts of the world, was being interpreted as a sign of disdain toward Spain. But sources from the US embassy in Madrid have stated that there is no “protocol” for calls that the new president makes after being sworn in and that if he had not contacted the Spanish PM by phone already, it was because “there was no problem that made it necessary to do so.”

Spanish diplomatic sources, for their part, have pointed to the fact that Biden is immersed in his domestic policies and has only spoken so far to two European Union leaders: Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany and President Emmanuel Macron of France. He is yet to contact Prime Minister Mario Draghi of Italy, which forms part of the G-7 group of wealthy countries.

Actually there is a problem concerning the recent incidents in Ceuta, triggered by Morocco in order to exert pressure on Spain and the EU and force them to recognize the illegal Moroccan rule on Western Sahara. One of the last decisions made by Donald Trump was to recognize Western Sahara as Moroccan territory, on exchange for the 'normalization' of relations with Israel. Recently there were demonstrations in Morocco protesting against said "normalization', for public opinion is not favourable to the apartheid state that oppresses Palestinian people. Joe Biden has made some gestures suggesting his administration is not unconditionally siding with Morocco, but he's not making signs indicating willingness to reverse Trump's decision to endorse Moroccan oppression of Sahrawis.

Uptown Colón

Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #424 on: June 14, 2021, 01:25:07 AM »

GAD3 published a poll today, which concerned the government's performance on several issues and public opinion on pardons. Thankfully, they did not use the dreadful 1-10 scales Spanish pollsters normally opt for when dealing with approval numbers and instead showed their results in percentages.

Anyways, the findings were as follows:

Government approval

On the vaccination process:
Approve: 75,4%
Disapprove: 21,5%

On LGBT+ rights:
Approve: 69,8%
Disapprove: 11,8%

On possible pardon granting:
Approve: 24,9%
Disapprove: 62,9%

On the crisis with Morocco:
Approve: 16,6%
Disapprove: 56,8%

On the new electricity bill:
Approve: 3,6%
Disapprove: 93,4%

Do you agree with the following statement?

"The pardons are necessary to improve the political situation in Catalonia"
Yes: 34,1% (63% in Catalonia)
No: 51,8% (27% in Catalonia)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies