Who were the 30-35% of suburban voters who backed dems in the 80s, and why did they back them?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:53:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who were the 30-35% of suburban voters who backed dems in the 80s, and why did they back them?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who were the 30-35% of suburban voters who backed dems in the 80s, and why did they back them?  (Read 963 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2021, 09:35:24 PM »

What would be a profile of a middle to upper middle class family in, say, hamilton county indiana or waukesha county wisconsin or maricopa county arizona that actively voted for the likes of mondale and dukakis, and what would typically be the number one reason these 30% of suburban voters opposed republicans?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 10:08:28 PM »

They were left-leaning?

Why else?

I think too many times in analyzing political geography we think “red state, blue state, red county, blue county.” However, pretty much all states are “purple”, and people of both parties can be found anywhere, because no where in the country is their total uniformity in beliefs.

Americans are diverse, no matter where you are.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 11:11:03 PM »

Jews, people in the creative class, academics, defense attorneys, social workers, journalists
AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »

Still a pretty decent number of middle-class union households back then.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »

Jews, people in the creative class, academics, defense attorneys, social workers, journalists

I'd imagine a lot of Catholic "ethnics" from ancestral Dem families, such as Poles, also were Democrats.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 10:48:47 PM »

Librarians, teachers, academics, editors, journalists, scientists, trial lawyers, financially successful artists (starving ones cannot afford suburbs), psychologists/therapists, architects.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 10:58:45 PM »

I feel like high income areas tend to have moderately high floors for both parties just because a higher percentage of the people are truly ideological.  I believe I once saw that, in landslides, high-income suburbs typically trend against the landsliding party because there is a reasonably hard floor of dyed-in-the-wool partisans for the other side.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 12:12:43 AM »

I feel like high income areas tend to have moderately high floors for both parties just because a higher percentage of the people are truly ideological.  I believe I once saw that, in landslides, high-income suburbs typically trend against the landsliding party because there is a reasonably hard floor of dyed-in-the-wool partisans for the other side.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 02:23:21 PM »

Granted not in high numbers for the suburbs but LGBT voters definetly voted in high numbers for Mondale and Dukakis and would be reflected somewhere in those numbers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies