Nazi prison guard living in Tennessee gets deported
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 11:27:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nazi prison guard living in Tennessee gets deported
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Nazi prison guard living in Tennessee gets deported  (Read 7662 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2021, 11:58:09 AM »

Retributive justice is a net negative. This is not only retributive justice, however; it's a deterrent, at the very least, to those who think they can escape punishment for these kinds of crimes with the passage of time.

If you think putting a  95 year old in prison for a couple of years until he dies after he lived free for decades is deterring anyone, you’re not being honest with yourself.

I understand it feels good to do this. But does it do good? I don’t think so.

Whether or not he should be deported is a completely different question though.

It's certainly not as much of a deterrent effect as would have been achieved by deporting him at a younger age, but there's a certain something to reminding would-be war criminals that the passage of time alone could not protect them.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2021, 12:00:12 PM »

So Fuzzy is now treating a freaking Nazis with more sympathies rhetoric then he uses for BLM? JFC 🙄

Fuzzy has written about having a young son. Votes to dismantle democracy and promote authoritarianism will never turn his child black, so why would he worry about their treatment by authority? Fill in the blanks on the rest.

I swear that Fuzzy Bear’s views are somewhat influenced by his ethnicity and background. I can’t be the only here to think that, am I?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2021, 12:14:29 PM »

Which of you as a teen didn't know better than to commit genocide.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2021, 12:20:45 PM »

Worth noting that this man was actually a member of the SS, applications to join which were generally dependent upon a genuine commitment to Nazi racial ideology, not some unfortunate teenager conscripted into the Wehrmacht who had no choice but to follow orders.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »

Retributive justice is a net negative. This is not only retributive justice, however; it's a deterrent, at the very least, to those who think they can escape punishment for these kinds of crimes with the passage of time.

But without retributive justice, does it matter in principle whether a criminal is innocent or guilty? If this guy was somehow innocent (not saying he is), locking him up would serve as just as much a deterrent so long as everyone thinks he is guilty. The reason why it matters whether the accused committed their crimes is because crime merits punishment in and of itself, not because it protects society -- it might, but so also might locking up people who didn't commit crimes.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2021, 12:24:59 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2021, 12:41:16 PM by You Code 16 bits- What do you get? »

I do wonder if he got the vaccine before being deported.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2021, 12:27:09 PM »

So Fuzzy is now treating a freaking Nazis with more sympathies rhetoric then he uses for BLM? JFC 🙄

Fuzzy has written about having a young son. Votes to dismantle democracy and promote authoritarianism will never turn his child black, so why would he worry about their treatment by authority? Fill in the blanks on the rest.

I swear that Fuzzy Bear’s views are somewhat influenced by his ethnicity and background. I can’t be the only here to think that, am I?

I don't think anyone, least of all Fuzzy, disputes that his views would probably be significantly different if his race or socioeconomic status were different.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2021, 12:48:16 PM »

But without retributive justice, does it matter in principle whether a criminal is innocent or guilty? If this guy was somehow innocent (not saying he is), locking him up would serve as just as much a deterrent so long as everyone thinks he is guilty.

That would undermine the rule of law. If the law wasn't regularly vindicated by due process being followed, it could command no respect. The further the finding of criminality is divorced from criminality itself, the weaker the association between criminality and the law is likely to become, and all merits of punishment become weaker as a result.

The reason why it matters whether the accused committed their crimes is because crime merits punishment in and of itself, not because it protects society -- it might, but so also might locking up people who didn't commit crimes.

Yes, but this punishment is not necessarily retribution. Society is much better served focusing punishment on correcting criminal behaviour and having them contribute than attempting revenge on the victims' behalf.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2021, 12:52:48 PM »

Can we please stop calling this man a Nazi? It seems rather unfair to hold someone to a label which they were more or less forced into 75 years ago as a teenager. People can change and circumstances need to be taken into account.

As someone whose family was reduced to a single branch by the Nazis, no.

I agree people can change and circumstances must be taken into account. I agree this person may have atoned and felt remorse. To a Christian that's what is needed to forgive. I find that capacity to forgive admirable in most cases. This man's crime is not your crime to forgive.

Whether justice comes from society or from God - as you believe - is something each of us can decide on our own, but our country must have rules and fairness. The debt owed to my people and to others is greater than this man's retirement. He should face a fully fair trial and accept that involvement excludes him from forgiveness by some of us. When he dies, God can weigh in. That might seem unfair and cold, but that coldness might disincentivize the heat of fascist ovens.

I abhor Nazism in all its forms.  I abhor Fascism.  It's ridiculous that I would have to defend this here, but I abhor these things and condemn them unequivocally.  

To Charcolt:  I abhor what was done to your family.  Nothing justifies it.  I certainly hope that those responsible received justice.  But that doesn't give you the right to libel me.  And what you said about me is a libelous personal attack.  I haven't done that to you.  

People on the Left here feel free to libel people here.  I am certainly hoping that the Moderation Team is not going to be a party to that.

It's only libel if what we're saying is false.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2021, 12:58:15 PM »

It's amazing the long life so many of these scumballs have had.
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2021, 01:07:06 PM »

Given that no state has a statute of limitations for murder, the main difference here is that what this man did was legal according to the government of Nazi Germany at the time.   I don't know if that should make a difference or not, given how utterly abhorrent what the Nazis did was,  even according to the rather bloody standards of history.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2021, 01:15:00 PM »

Which of you as a teen didn't know better than to commit genocide.

Proof he wasn’t forced into it? Or that he knew exactly what was going on?

Even if records indicate he signed up for it, that signature could’ve been forced through one way or another.

It’s also possible he signed up for it without realizing what was happening, and when he got there, it was too late to back out.

My point is, innocent until proven guilty.

Oh good Lord. This isn't some kind of mystery. The SS was an organization you had to volunteer for. Germans were not forced into it. Saying "But his signature could have been forged and he just went along with it" is an argument that literally no court would ever buy, and still wouldn't justify his actions. He chose to do this. He has to deal with the consequences.

It certainly is curious that you have this compulsive desire to defend a Nazi war criminal, even if it extends well beyond any "reasonable" defense into conspiratorial thinking. I'm not saying you're a Nazi, I seriously doubt that, but I would like to know why.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2021, 01:18:59 PM »

Given that no state has a statute of limitations for murder, the main difference here is that what this man did was legal according to the government of Nazi Germany at the time.   I don't know if that should make a difference or not, given how utterly abhorrent what the Nazis did was,  even according to the rather bloody standards of history.

However it isn't legal to be in the US when you previously committed genocide.. End of discussion.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2021, 01:58:22 PM »

Pretty much, I take rather radical views on criminal justice that no one should be put in prison for punishment.

This is not solely a punitive measure.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2021, 02:38:12 PM »

Pretty much, I take rather radical views on criminal justice that no one should be put in prison for punishment.

Clearly, it is.

“You think Nazis should go unpunished???” Is what I’ve been hearing a lot of.

No, of course they should, but it’s the not the job of the state to do that.

Imprisoning someone who committed a crime is not just about preventing them from committing that crime in the future. It is about discouraging other people from committing that crime.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2021, 02:45:51 PM »

Clearly, it is.

Imprisoning someone who committed a crime is not just about preventing them from committing that crime in the future. It is about discouraging other people from committing that crime.

Literally NO ONE will be discouraged by some guy who lived free for decades having to spend the last couple years of his life in something that’s pretty much a retirement home where you can’t leave.

It will discourage other accessories to genocide from trying to flee justice in their home countries by entering the United States. It will demonstrate that we are committed to hunting these people down no matter how far they run or how long it has been.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2021, 02:50:51 PM »

Clearly, it is.

Literally NO ONE will be discouraged by some guy who lived free for decades having to spend the last couple years of his life in something that’s pretty much a retirement home where you can’t leave.

It will discourage other accessories to genocide from trying to flee justice in their home countries by entering the United States. It will demonstrate that we are committed to hunting these people down no matter how far they run or how long it has been.

They can flee justice from the state all they want. It won’t matter because they don’t really pose any real threat enough to be put in prison. I can understand wanting to monitor these ex-Nazis, but prison seems a bit much.

Prison is not just about preventing criminals from offending again. It is also about sending a message to potential criminals that they can expect to be held accountable if they commit the same crimes. It is shocking to me that I have to explain this to you.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2021, 02:58:13 PM »

Clearly, it is.

They can flee justice from the state all they want. It won’t matter because they don’t really pose any real threat enough to be put in prison. I can understand wanting to monitor these ex-Nazis, but prison seems a bit much.

Prison is not just about preventing criminals from offending again. It is also about sending a message to potential criminals that they can expect to be held accountable if they commit the same crimes. It is shocking to me that I have to explain this to you.

And as I already explained, if letting a guy go free for decades, only to be finally arrested 75 years later, no one will care. I understand this sentiment, but I questions it’s actual efficacy in this specific case.

It certainly sends a better message than letting this slide would.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2021, 06:11:28 PM »

Should Gudrun Burwitz have been prosecuted?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gudrun_Burwitz
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2021, 10:35:46 PM »

Everyone's just taking the opportunity to dunk on conservatives with the "OMG, DEPORT HIM" jokes but this is dumb. Even under the stringent standards of the Nuremberg trials if there wasn't evidence a member of the SS witnessed any killings they were not considered a war criminal. The first goal of the criminal justice system should be protecting the public rather than just retribution and I don't see how this guy is a threat to anyone.

Does anyone think Fuzzy would be showing this level of compassion and mercy for a Muslim immigrant later found to have been a member of ISIS?

Not going to speak for fuzzy but I don't think we should punish someone who was briefly an ISIS member as a teenager but never killed anyone 75 years after the fact.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2021, 11:45:55 PM »

Can we please stop calling this man a Nazi? It seems rather unfair to hold someone to a label which they were more or less forced into 75 years ago as a teenager. People can change and circumstances need to be taken into account.
He served in the SS. That makes him a Nazi.

“He attended kindergarten. That makes him a kindergartner.”

People can change.

🤡
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2021, 02:29:47 PM »

I don't think anyone, least of all Fuzzy, disputes that his views would probably be significantly different if his race or socioeconomic status were different.

I personally think that if Fuzzy Bear was of Jewish descent and/or a person of color, he wouldn’t be defending the man mentioned in the article.

At this point, it wouldn’t be completely shocking if he acted as an apologist for Adolf Hitler.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2021, 12:34:32 PM »

I will say this:  If this man is to be deported, so be it.  But construction on The Wall needs to be restarted and those who are in INS custody that have so been designated ought to be deported as quickly as possible.  I'll change my mind if you can show me that his role was bigger than what is documented here.  But you haven't done so to date.
Fuzzy, this is how an ideologically obsessed person talks. You’re upset about a Nazi guard being deported to Germany. Why? Is it a dictatorship noted for its rigged trials?

This is a nonsensical idea that Joe Biden must enforce everything Trump did - when Trump refused to do the same thing on the ACA mandate, and as every President before him has done. You’re so obsessed with the wall you now put it in capital letters, literally deifying it. You demand that Joe Biden, after winning an election, now go back on campaign promises he made to enforce policy created by his predecessor who he beat. That sort of irrational thinking, that liberal politicians should just vote and act as President Fuzzy would, is deeply damaging to the mind and to the soul.

Standard deportations are not the same as extradition, by the way. If Joe Biden halted all extradition, he would be in violation of dozens of international treaties. You suggesting that indicates to me that you seem to have no understanding of how an extradition works, man.

Maybe you should take a break for a couple weeks - you spent almost a week bawling about voter fraud here and accused sixty federal judges of corruption for throwing those cases out. That’s not normal, Fuzzy. You should really talk to your relatives and consider seeing a therapist.

r/murderedbywords
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2021, 04:14:39 PM »

If a Nazi prison guard moved into my neighborhood, I’d probably attack him even if he’s close to one hundred years old.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2021, 05:05:35 PM »

If a Nazi prison guard moved into my neighborhood, I’d probably attack him even if he’s close to one hundred years old.

Because people can’t change, right?

It’s funny how left-wingers often preach about 2nd chances and rehabilitation, but don’t take it seriously.

It’s funny how your desire to own the “left-wing” on every imaginable issue has led you to this point. You can believe in rehabilitation for criminals without believing that the perpetrators of the ing Holocaust should go unpunished. Obviously. This is just making you look silly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies