Post “Cancun Cruz” does Ted Cruz lose his home state in the 2024 Republican primary? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:22:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Post “Cancun Cruz” does Ted Cruz lose his home state in the 2024 Republican primary? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Post “Cancun Cruz” does Ted Cruz lose his home state in the 2024 Republican primary?  (Read 1697 times)
Motorcity

« on: February 24, 2021, 01:46:49 PM »

A top tier opponent like Crenshaw could take him down in the primary for sure.  He's clearly a long term liability and an underperformer vs. generic R.  This latest misstep may not matter by itself, but it's one of many.
Ted Cruz is weird. I don't really know who his base is or how he got his seat in the first place. A senator from Texas? You'd think there would be dozens of top tier candidates for that seat

I can't think of any other guy who has such a national profile yet is despised by nearly everyone, even his own party
Motorcity

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 10:41:41 AM »

A top tier opponent like Crenshaw could take him down in the primary for sure.  He's clearly a long term liability and an underperformer vs. generic R.  This latest misstep may not matter by itself, but it's one of many.
Ted Cruz is weird. I don't really know who his base is or how he got his seat in the first place. A senator from Texas? You'd think there would be dozens of top tier candidates for that seat

I can't think of any other guy who has such a national profile yet is despised by nearly everyone, even his own party

He very well may be despised by Republicans on the Hill, but I don't think it really has been sufficiently demonstrated that he is particularly unpopular among rank-and-file Republican voters, despite that being such a prominent narrative. If my recollection serves, his approval ratings were never particularly poor in recent years, and I believe they often eclipsed Cornyn's.
In 2016, Trump won 4.7 million votes and Hillary won 3.9 million in Texas. Around 8.6 million voted.

In 2018, Cruz won 4.3 million and Beto won 4 million. Around 8.3 million voted

In 2018, Abbott won 4.7 million and 3.5 million. Around 8.2 million voted

That is about 400k voters who voted for both Beto and Abbott

If we assume that the general electorate for 2018 in Texas was roughly the same as 2016

That is 400k Republicans who voted for Beto because they hated Cruz (or loved Beto)

I can't think of any other red state where it was so clear. Sure, Beto was an amazing canidate but there was a lot of love lost for Cruz. If this state was Ohio or Florida, the GOP would have lost with so many cross overs

Basically, Cruz has some haters in the state GOP compared to Abbott and Cornyn
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies