Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:05:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination  (Read 7088 times)
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« on: February 19, 2021, 04:18:31 PM »

I remember reading speculation that Tanden was a "sacrificial" nomination but I thought it was a stupid notion at the time. Thinking about it though, Manchin sinking Tanden probably gives him cover to vote for Haaland.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 04:31:04 PM »

Now the question is, does Biden pull the nomination? And then who does he replace her with? Bruce Reed comes to mind.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 04:33:51 PM »

He probably won’t be the only Democrat to oppose her nomination.

Bernie already said he'd vote for her but I can imagine Manchin just opened the floodgates for the moderates to come and sink her.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 04:36:55 PM »

Now the question is, does Biden pull the nomination? And then who does he replace her with? Bruce Reed comes to mind.
Hell no

I know, but he was apparently on the shortlist with Tanden.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 04:42:53 PM »

Tanden wasn't good anyways, so who cares but this better not be Manchin trying to flex.

It’s either that or a sign Tanden is getting a Republican vote

The question then is, who?

Ironically, Tanden has mean tweets about Collins, Murkowski and Romney.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 04:47:18 PM »

Tanden wasn't good anyways, so who cares but this better not be Manchin trying to flex.

It’s either that or a sign Tanden is getting a Republican vote

The question then is, who?

Ironically, Tanden has mean tweets about Collins, Murkowski and Romney.

Murkowski would probably make the most sense: she'd get to look like a good person who's capable of forgiveness, while at the same time, she'd get to show the Alaskan Democrats & independents that she's gonna need for an RCV victory next year that she's sincere in wanting to work with the administration when & where she can.

I'd figure she'd do that with Haaland though.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 04:55:24 PM »

This also makes it a lot more likely that he votes against Haaland btw.

I believe he's already said he'd vote for Haaland, or atleast implied it. I'll go look for his statement.

edit:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/02/09/energy-202-gop-opposition-haaland-interior-secretary-grows/

Yep:

"In the end, Democrats likely have the votes to circumvent a hold — and approve Haaland for the post.

"Sen. Joe Manchin III (D) from the coal- and gas-producing state of West Virginia signaled his support for Haaland, saying “I've always been deferential” to presidents picking members of their Cabinet."

While that runs against what happened today, Haaland doesn't have the same amount of baggage Tanden has.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 05:54:23 PM »

Sounds like Manchin wasn't the only Dem opposing, just the only one to go fully public.

I'm finding it more and more believable that Tanden was a sacrificial nominee.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 05:58:39 PM »

Although @brucejoel99 might be right that Manchin only came out against Tanden because Tanden has enough support from Republicans.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 09:41:43 AM »

I'm surprised it's not Bernie who came out against her at first. While I often agree with Tanden on the issues, some of her tweets against both Bernie and some Republicans are problematic. Perhaps Uncle Joe should not have nominated her since she's just too controversial. Let's see what happens, maybe some Republicans save her with their votes, but it would be hilarious if it's Collins and Romney, whom she attacked as well.

Bernie isn't going to pick that fight and is more concerned about getting someone who's strong on policy in there. He'd rather spend his political capital, say, fighting for a public option rather than getting back at someone for talking crap on Twitter.

It's a cuck move, but I get it.

I don’t think it’s a cuck move so much as a pragmatic one.  Non-Berniecrats should treat it as a reminder that as bad as the #RoseTwitter crowd can be, they’re not Bernie and people should stop acting as though they are.  Bernie made the mistake of surrounding himself with these folks in 2020 and it hurt him badly in the primaries, but he hasn’t done that as Budget Committee Chairman.  Bernie would be punching down - way down - if he threw a tantrum b/c of Tanden’s tweets.  Instead, he’s biting the bullet and trying to give as many progressives a seat at the table as possible in Biden’s administration.  

OTOH, Manchin doesn’t give a crap about Tanden, but he’s just flexing ahead of reconciliation.  I do worry about Manchin potentially voting against Haaland btw; she won’t get any Republican support and is probably gonna require a cloture vote as it is Sad

Anyway, how long do we think until Tanden withdraws from consideration?

If Manchin tries to kill Haaland's nomination, even I'd advocate for Schumer to expel him.

Edit: Democrats do not kill such important and historic firsts like that.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 10:00:22 AM »

I'm surprised it's not Bernie who came out against her at first. While I often agree with Tanden on the issues, some of her tweets against both Bernie and some Republicans are problematic. Perhaps Uncle Joe should not have nominated her since she's just too controversial. Let's see what happens, maybe some Republicans save her with their votes, but it would be hilarious if it's Collins and Romney, whom she attacked as well.

Bernie isn't going to pick that fight and is more concerned about getting someone who's strong on policy in there. He'd rather spend his political capital, say, fighting for a public option rather than getting back at someone for talking crap on Twitter.

I don’t think it’s a cuck move so much as a pragmatic one.  Non-Berniecrats should treat it as a reminder that as bad as the #RoseTwitter crowd can be, they’re not Bernie and people should stop acting as though they are.  Bernie made the mistake of surrounding himself with these folks in 2020 and it hurt him badly in the primaries, but he hasn’t done that as Budget Committee Chairman.  Bernie would be punching down - way down - if he threw a tantrum b/c of Tanden’s tweets.  Instead, he’s biting the bullet and trying to give as many progressives a seat at the table as possible in Biden’s administration.  

OTOH, Manchin doesn’t give a crap about Tanden, but he’s just flexing ahead of reconciliation.  I do worry about Manchin potentially voting against Haaland btw; she won’t get any Republican support and is probably gonna require a cloture vote as it is Sad

If Manchin tries to kill Haaland's nomination, even I'd advocate for Schumer to expel him.

Why? Nominees are far less consequential than laws, because there are usually many capable people who subscribe to any given nominee's school of thought.

Haaland is seen as an important pick for multiple reasons. It would give Native American's actual representation in the United States government. After all the horrors the Native American community has endured from The US government, a Native American woman leading The Department of the Interior would be incredibly symbolic.

And ignoring everything else, record turnout among Native American's helped flip Arizona and the Midwest.

BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 10:02:39 AM »

Edit: Democrats do not kill such important and historic firsts like that.

Making Mitch McConnell Majority Leader to own the ConservaDems Roll Eyes

Democrats don't kill historic firsts like that. Atleast not anymore.

Manchin got his scalp to take home with Tanden's nomination. He doesn't need to kill Haaland's nomination. Him trying would actually be offensive.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 10:18:39 AM »

Why? Nominees are far less consequential than laws, because there are usually many capable people who subscribe to any given nominee's school of thought.

Haaland is seen as an important pick for multiple reasons. It would give Native American's actual representation in the United States government. After all the horrors the Native American community has endured from The US government, a Native American woman leading The Department of the Interior would be incredibly symbolic.

And ignoring everything else, record turnout among Native American's helped flip Arizona and the Midwest.

Point taken (and I like Haaland much more than the median Biden nominee), but:
1. My point about her being replaceable still stands to an extent as she's almost certainly not the only Native American ready for the job
2. I feel a bit sorry for Charles Curtis, who is often overlooked in posts like this as the first Native American VP

I believe Michael Connor was on the shortlist as well, although I remember reading how his involvement representing energy companies would create multiple conflicts of interest.

And yes, VP Curtis often gets overlooked. To be fair though, Hoover's entire 4 years in office tend to get overlooked except when trying to pinpoint reasons for The Great Depression.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 05:58:04 PM »

Ok, I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Seung Min Kim just singlehandedly put the final nail in the coffin of Tanden's nomination.

Surprise
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 09:32:54 PM »

LMFAO

It's real messed up that Igor posted this because now Seung Min Kim is getting nasty emails.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 07:43:18 AM »

The structural racism argument is that as an Indian-American woman, she’s being punished for behavior white men get away with all the time, for example Republicans like Richard Grenell who also troll Twitter but got votes from the same pearl-clutching senators.

Yep.

Also how multiple Republicans went 4 years ignoring Trump's tweets yet are upset about Tanden's online behavior.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 09:24:34 AM »

Really hard to imagine this working out but maybe it's mostly about appearances at this point:

https://twitter.com/anitakumar01/status/1364773210898788353?s=20

Thinking about it, this move seems like a face saving measure.

"We tried our hardest to get this woman of color through, so don't be mad at us when she drops out and gets replaced with a non- asian american."
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 06:28:36 PM »

Her nomination should be withdrawn, and it should've never happened in the first place. From the beginning, her even being selected was a giant middle finger to progressives who did the right thing and held their noses and voted for Joe Biden. She spent years belittling progressive online, not to mention the ridiculous behavior she displayed in her workplace. Why propose somebody who was obviously going to generate a lot of controversy? If I recall correctly, Biden announced she'd be the nominee before the Georgia elections, in which case there was never a chance she'd get through a Republican-controlled Senate.

I don't often agree with Joe Manchin, but come on, we can do so much better. She was an awful pick, and it's embarrassing she hasn't been withdrawn yet.

Hence the speculation she was always a "sacrificial" pick.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 06:46:15 PM »

#KHive is terrible, but Twitter as a whole is just a nightmare

Twitter has turned into Facebook but with more anonymity. There are multiple Twitter bubbles and each bubble feels like they're in the right. People relish in going after one another, especially people who are in different Twitter bubbles.  

I follow a few centrists on Twitter and they posted positive reactions to the harassment. I use Twitter as a means to keep up to date on political news but after last night I'm truly considering logging off forever.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 06:57:56 PM »

Drilling in ANWR in exchange for... Neera Tanden

What the f**k

I seriously hope this is spin on Cornyn's end. If Biden is seriously considering selling out the ANWR for f**king Tanden, he honestly deserves everything bad leftists have said about him and more.

I try not to be dismissive on this website but you can't be serious.

Biden isn't selling out ANWR for Tanden.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies