Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:56:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination  (Read 7086 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2021, 10:05:12 AM »

I find it funny that this is the hill that Manchin picked. WTF, I love Neera Tanden now. Ok, not really, but I’m still surprised that this is who Manchin decided to put his foot down against. Maybe she’s a sacrificial lamb as others have suggested? Seems kinda far fetched though.

I think (hope) this is the case. This is him being Moderate(TM) and Putting Pressure on Biden(TM) before voting for the public option and a $15 minimum wage (despite those being overwhelmingly popular with the voting public, but that’s not the point here).
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2021, 10:06:35 AM »

I'm surprised it's not Bernie who came out against her at first. While I often agree with Tanden on the issues, some of her tweets against both Bernie and some Republicans are problematic. Perhaps Uncle Joe should not have nominated her since she's just too controversial. Let's see what happens, maybe some Republicans save her with their votes, but it would be hilarious if it's Collins and Romney, whom she attacked as well.

Bernie isn't going to pick that fight and is more concerned about getting someone who's strong on policy in there. He'd rather spend his political capital, say, fighting for a public option rather than getting back at someone for talking crap on Twitter.

It's a cuck move, but I get it.

I don’t think it’s a cuck move so much as a pragmatic one.  Non-Berniecrats should treat it as a reminder that as bad as the #RoseTwitter crowd can be, they’re not Bernie and people should stop acting as though they are.  Bernie made the mistake of surrounding himself with these folks in 2020 and it hurt him badly in the primaries, but he hasn’t done that as Budget Committee Chairman.  Bernie would be punching down - way down - if he threw a tantrum b/c of Tanden’s tweets.  Instead, he’s biting the bullet and trying to give as many progressives a seat at the table as possible in Biden’s administration.  

OTOH, Manchin doesn’t give a crap about Tanden, but he’s just flexing ahead of reconciliation.  I do worry about Manchin potentially voting against Haaland btw; she won’t get any Republican support and is probably gonna require a cloture vote as it is Sad

Anyway, how long do we think until Tanden withdraws from consideration?

If Manchin tries to kill Haaland's nomination, even I'd advocate for Schumer to expel him.

Why? Nominees are far less consequential than laws, because there are usually many capable people who subscribe to any given nominee's school of thought.

Haaland is seen as an important pick for multiple reasons. It would give Native American's actual representation in the United States government. After all the horrors the Native American community has endured from The US government, a Native American woman leading The Department of the Interior would be incredibly symbolic.

And ignoring everything else, record turnout among Native American's helped flip Arizona and the Midwest.

Point taken (and I like Haaland much more than the median Biden nominee), but:
1. My point about her being replaceable still stands to an extent as she's almost certainly not the only Native American ready for the job
2. I feel a bit sorry for Charles Curtis, who is often overlooked in posts like this as the first Native American VP
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2021, 10:18:39 AM »

I'm surprised it's not Bernie who came out against her at first. While I often agree with Tanden on the issues, some of her tweets against both Bernie and some Republicans are problematic. Perhaps Uncle Joe should not have nominated her since she's just too controversial. Let's see what happens, maybe some Republicans save her with their votes, but it would be hilarious if it's Collins and Romney, whom she attacked as well.

Bernie isn't going to pick that fight and is more concerned about getting someone who's strong on policy in there. He'd rather spend his political capital, say, fighting for a public option rather than getting back at someone for talking crap on Twitter.

I don’t think it’s a cuck move so much as a pragmatic one.  Non-Berniecrats should treat it as a reminder that as bad as the #RoseTwitter crowd can be, they’re not Bernie and people should stop acting as though they are.  Bernie made the mistake of surrounding himself with these folks in 2020 and it hurt him badly in the primaries, but he hasn’t done that as Budget Committee Chairman.  Bernie would be punching down - way down - if he threw a tantrum b/c of Tanden’s tweets.  Instead, he’s biting the bullet and trying to give as many progressives a seat at the table as possible in Biden’s administration.  

OTOH, Manchin doesn’t give a crap about Tanden, but he’s just flexing ahead of reconciliation.  I do worry about Manchin potentially voting against Haaland btw; she won’t get any Republican support and is probably gonna require a cloture vote as it is Sad

If Manchin tries to kill Haaland's nomination, even I'd advocate for Schumer to expel him.

Why? Nominees are far less consequential than laws, because there are usually many capable people who subscribe to any given nominee's school of thought.

Haaland is seen as an important pick for multiple reasons. It would give Native American's actual representation in the United States government. After all the horrors the Native American community has endured from The US government, a Native American woman leading The Department of the Interior would be incredibly symbolic.

And ignoring everything else, record turnout among Native American's helped flip Arizona and the Midwest.

1. My point about her being replaceable still stands to an extent as she's almost certainly not the only Native American ready for the job
2. I feel a bit sorry for Charles Curtis, who is often overlooked in posts like this as the first Native American VP

I believe Michael Connor was on the shortlist as well, although I remember reading how his involvement representing energy companies would create multiple conflicts of interest.

And yes, VP Curtis often gets overlooked. To be fair though, Hoover's entire 4 years in office tend to get overlooked except when trying to pinpoint reasons for The Great Depression.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2021, 11:55:09 AM »

I hope all the centrist liberals are taking notes here: the ones sinking Tanden are not salty progressives (even though they, particularly Bernie, could if they wanted), but other so-called "centrists" like Collins, Romney, and Manchin, even though one would imagine that it would be the reverse given the level of vitriol those liberals typically direct at progressives versus moderates. I really think y'all should keep this in mind when you yet again whine about how dangerous AOC's cult of personality is in 2028 or whatever.

this is a MacArthur subtweet
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2021, 02:08:27 PM »

As to point number two, my sympathies only go so far given all that he did for straight up assimilation. He still makes for a great trivia question though.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2021, 02:12:47 PM »

I understand that it's "pragmatic". Most of my support was extremely begrudging as-is, and was in the case of "at least she's not Bruce Reed or a deficit hawk." That being said, there's a Democratic equivalent to Rose Twitter out there. Not only did Neera amplify the worst actors of this clique, but you could have made the case that she was a part of that clique herself!

There's a difference between, say, attacking Bernie during a heated primary and knowingly and willfully amplifying and fraternizing with anti-Semites and Charlottesville apologists. There's proof of her interacting with, retweeting, following, and even calling the people I mentioned her friends. At best, she has negligently given her platform to bad actors in the party for years. At worst, she agrees with them.

It's still undeniably a cuck move to vote for someone who blamed you for COVID, or is friends with people who call you a fake Jew. I get it and my focus is the same as Bernie's, but it's still cuck energy.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2021, 02:17:58 PM »

I understand that it's "pragmatic". Most of my support was extremely begrudging as-is, and was in the case of "at least she's not Bruce Reed or a deficit hawk." That being said, there's a Democratic equivalent to Rose Twitter out there. Not only did Neera amplify the worst actors of this clique, but you could have made the case that she was a part of that clique herself!

There's a difference between, say, attacking Bernie during a heated primary and knowingly and willfully amplifying and fraternizing with anti-Semites and Charlottesville apologists. There's proof of her interacting with, retweeting, following, and even calling the people I mentioned her friends. At best, she has negligently given her platform to bad actors in the party for years. At worst, she agrees with them.

It's still undeniably a cuck move to vote for someone who blamed you for COVID, or is friends with people who call you a fake Jew. I get it and my focus is the same as Bernie's, but it's still cuck energy.

I’m not defending Tanden or anything; I’m just saying Bernie was showing a willingness to put implementing progressive policies ahead of personal grievances and to me that’s something he doesn’t get enough credit for in general.  To my mind, there’s a difference between being pragmatic and being a spineless pushover; Bernie was being the former.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2021, 07:59:52 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2021, 09:04:15 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2021, 09:24:54 PM by Peak Harry »

If this really does fail against Biden and Schumer's wishes and isn't part of a larger scheme, we'll probably see DC statehood (and possibly the rest of the territories in some form) shoot to the top of the agenda for Spring.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2021, 10:16:48 PM »

It seems that Biden is going to need to find another candidate.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2021, 10:22:51 PM »

If this really does fail against Biden and Schumer's wishes and isn't part of a larger scheme, we'll probably see DC statehood (and possibly the rest of the territories in some form) shoot to the top of the agenda for Spring.
In before Manchin announces he's opposed to DC statehood
politics_king
United States

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2021, 01:19:26 AM »

Murkowski may push her over the finish line. She just said she's reviewing the issue, but I also think Murkowski may be mulling a run as an Independent Senator if a Trumper beats her in the primary. It's almost as if the two parties are shuffling the decks with their members.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2021, 01:21:07 AM »

Murkowski may push her over the finish line. She just said she's reviewing the issue, but I also think Murkowski may be mulling a run as an Independent Senator if a Trumper beats her in the primary. It's almost as if the two parties are shuffling the decks with their members.

Not how it works there anymore, it's top-4 RCV now.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2021, 01:26:24 AM »

Not how it works there anymore, it's top-4 RCV now.

Oh wow! Thanks for the info, didn't know that. Still think Murkowski hasn't ruled out voting for her.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2021, 11:16:24 PM »

Republicans and Manchin are showing blatant hypocrisy voting down Tanden on her "animosity" given the vitriol and hate coming from nominees they voted for over the past four years, not to mention supporting the Traitor Tot. 

But even taking her vitriol out of the equation, I think Tanden is a so-so nominee for the OMB.  And given all the haters she has made on both the Right and Left over the years, she is a so-so nominee with a lot of political baggage.  This is not some exemplary public servant who has been unfairly smeared by the GQP.  In my view she is not a hill worth dying over. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2021, 12:22:46 AM »

She's done. Stick a fork in her. Withdraw the nomination and bring up someone else.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2021, 01:17:45 PM »

I find it funny that this is the hill that Manchin picked. WTF, I love Neera Tanden now. Ok, not really, but I’m still surprised that this is who Manchin decided to put his foot down against. Maybe she’s a sacrificial lamb as others have suggested? Seems kinda far fetched though.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2021, 01:25:08 PM »

Unfortunately Princess Crossfit won't vote for anything Mitch McConnel hasn't sealed with a kiss
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2021, 01:28:44 PM »

Reminder that Collins was the 51st vote for tea party dufus with no particular expertise Mick Mulvany to lead OBM
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2021, 05:37:56 PM »

LMFAO
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2021, 05:42:15 PM »

Ok, I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Seung Min Kim just singlehandedly put the final nail in the coffin of Tanden's nomination.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2021, 05:58:04 PM »

Ok, I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Seung Min Kim just singlehandedly put the final nail in the coffin of Tanden's nomination.

Surprise
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2021, 06:17:11 PM »

It'd be pretty dumb to decide your vote on the basis of that tweet.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2021, 08:15:21 PM »

Well that was true before Murkowski was shown that.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2021, 08:29:29 PM »

To be honest, I'm surprised her behavior at the CAP, which was infinitely more objectionable than her tweets, didn't come up. In a sane world outing a sexual harassment victim would be persona non grata to head any government agency.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies