What states was Perot leading in back in spring '92?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:47:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  What states was Perot leading in back in spring '92?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What states was Perot leading in back in spring '92?  (Read 2348 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2006, 08:57:18 PM »

As you may recall, there was a period back in the spring/summer of 1992, when Perot was actually *leading* in national polls against both Bush and Clinton.  I was just wondering if anyone had any archives of state polls from that period, that showed what states Perot was leading in.  Were they the same states that he ended up doing best in in the actual election or not?

In theory, this sort of information should be out there in cyberspace, but it's rather hard to come by.  A little googling, and I was able to find this NYT story from May 15, 1992:

"In a three-way race, 37 percent of Californians surveyed said they would vote for Mr. Perot, the Texas billionaire, followed by 31 percent for Mr. Bush and 25 percent for Mr. Clinton, the poll reported. Seven percent were undecided."

and this from May 12, 1992:

http://www.annapolisinstitute.net/archives/commentary/pb1992107.html

"Respected polls show Perot running first or second from Louisiana to California. The mid-April Texas poll shows Perot 35%, Bush 30%, and Clinton 20%. Recent polls show Perot in first place in New Mexico (with 31%) and Colorado where Perot (35%) leads Bush (30%) and Clinton (16%). According to respected political analyst Kevin Phillips, surveys in California, Louisiana and Arizona show Perot in second place. Perot's base is clearly surging in the sunbelt, a Republican stronghold in Presidential elections."

Does anyone have any other state polls from that time period?

I wonder, if Perot had somehow managed to stay above 30% in the polls (and not dropped out and gotten back in), what the electoral map would have ultimately looked like.  But I guess that particular question would be for the "what if" forum.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 05:39:09 AM »

NJ May 23 - B 42, C 24, P 22 (the Star-Ledger/Eagleton-Rutgers)
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 10:59:28 PM »

Wow, was it just me or was Clinton getting slaughtered in the spring of 1992?  Damn. Guess the primaries really hurt him.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:48:26 AM »

Perot really just wanted Bush to not be President anymore.  He hates the Bush family.  His campaign was far more anti-Bush than pro-Perot.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 07:06:22 PM »

Wow, was it just me or was Clinton getting slaughtered in the spring of 1992?  Damn. Guess the primaries really hurt him.

Despite Bush's vulnerability, Clinton was still regarded as a weak candidate pretty much throughout the first half of 1992.  In fact, the entire Democratic field was considered to be somewhat lightweight, as the big names like Cuomo, Bradley, Gephardt, etc. had decided not to run.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, that didn't stop him from endorsing G.W. Bush in 2000.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 10:14:13 PM »

Do you think a governor of Arkansas would have gotten the nomination, if Dems were perceived as having a snowball chance in hell?  Why do you think did Hamlet Cuomo decided to answer negatively to the question "to run or not to run"?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 10:23:37 PM »

Do you think a governor of Arkansas would have gotten the nomination, if Dems were perceived as having a snowball chance in hell?  Why do you think did Hamlet Cuomo decided to answer negatively to the question "to run or not to run"?

Skeletons in the closet. . .
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 10:35:55 PM »

Skeletons in the closet. . .

None of which were ever substantiated. They guy had run, what, 3 NY statewide campaigns by then - don't tell me these are fought with kids gloves on.   And, as we know, it's not like Clinton's closet was freshly painted and smelling of roses.

Anyway, NY wasn't the only major state around with a presidentiable governor.  Yes, Clinton is a genius as a politician -  but he was still an unknown draft-evader governor of a third-tier state, running against a victorious war-time President from the heroic generation. Of course, nobody thought he had a chance - Dems didn't nominate him because they thought he could win, he was supposed to be a sacrificial lamb.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 01:38:33 AM »

Perot really just wanted Bush to not be President anymore.  He hates the Bush family.  His campaign was far more anti-Bush than pro-Perot.

Well, that didn't stop him from endorsing G.W. Bush in 2000.

[/quote]

You are correct, I should have left it that he did not like the elder Bush.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies