Ron Johnson: Capitol Attack didn't seem like an armed insurrection to me
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:27:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron Johnson: Capitol Attack didn't seem like an armed insurrection to me
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ron Johnson: Capitol Attack didn't seem like an armed insurrection to me  (Read 1554 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2021, 11:14:09 PM »
« edited: February 16, 2021, 11:17:19 PM by Roll Roons »

Johnson appeared to be more moderate back in 10 and 16. In 2010 he was talking about the debt and other standard Republican talking points. Once he got elected in 16, he veered HARD right. I personally didn’t mind him pre 2016, but he has angered and annoyed me since then. Honestly, it doesn’t even make sense to me; who is he afraid of primarying him? Gallagher and Steil wouldn’t primary him from the right (Tiffany could, but he would lose), Walker wouldnt, so honestly who is he afraid of? I feel he is shooting himself in the foot right now in a really big way. I do think the trends in WOW are truly durable, and I highly doubt if he runs in 22 (even if it’s a red wave) he will win Waukesha with 68% like he did in 2016, and certainly not the 65% he got in Ozaukee. I think honestly he would be lucky to hit 60% in either in 22.

If Johnson does get less than 60% in Waukesha, he's almost certainly f**ked. Even Vukmir and Dan Kelly managed to hit that mark while losing statewide by double digits. Johnson will probably do worse than Trump in rurals, so I just don't see how the math could work for him at that point.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2021, 11:15:55 PM »

Johnson appeared to be more moderate back in 10 and 16. In 2010 he was talking about the debt and other standard Republican talking points. Once he got elected in 16, he veered HARD right. I personally didn’t mind him pre 2016, but he has angered and annoyed me since then. Honestly, it doesn’t even make sense to me; who is he afraid of primarying him? Gallagher and Steil wouldn’t primary him from the right (Tiffany could, but he would lose), Walker wouldnt, so honestly who is he afraid of? I feel he is shooting himself in the foot right now in a really big way. I do think the trends in WOW are truly durable, and I highly doubt if he runs in 22 (even if it’s a red wave) he will win Waukesha with 68% like he did in 2016, and certainly not the 65% he got in Ozaukee. I think honestly he would be lucky to hit 60% in either in 22.

Since he IS shooting himself in the foot by saying this, maybe he feels free to say whatever he really wants to say, and is not worried about election consequences, which could mean it is rather likely that he is not going to run again. He has promised before to serve only two terms. Two terms in the Senate is enough for some other members of the class of 2010, such as Toomey and Portman. Paul and Lee might be calling it quits too.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2021, 11:21:24 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2021, 11:24:47 PM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

Johnson appeared moderate before Walker retired, due to fact he had Walker to cover for him. Both Paul Ryan and Scott Walker were cover, for his more extreme views.  Now, that they are gone, Johnson like Toomey is the last statewide R to be elected

Rand Paul and Lee are there to stop amnesty for illegals, both of them are opposed to all out amnesty to illegals. Both aren't retiring

A better way to handle the amnesty issue was for Biden to continue building wall as well as a pathway to citizenship, he stopped the Wall which doesn't make sense

Immigrants take jobs away from ordinary people as well as Section 8 vouchers due to fact they have big families
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2021, 11:48:59 PM »

Senator Johnson, you litterally ran for your life from this totally not a violent insurrection.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2021, 12:41:12 AM »

Senator Johnson, you litterally ran for your life from this totally not a violent insurrection.

Disingenuous is the order of the day clearly.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2021, 01:25:31 AM »

And Ron Johnson fiddled as the police he claims to support died.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2021, 06:14:38 AM »

It seems in a lot of swing states, the GOP has gone full nuthouse as they try to cling to power. You would think they would moderate to make themselves more appealing to swing voters.

True, but RonJon’s always been a right-wing extremist. Definitely the senators most ideologically out of step with his state.

Are you sure about that? Wisconsin gave us Gov. Scott Walker, Sen. Joseph McCarthy, and Rep. Paul Ryan (Ayn Rand devotee). Wisconsin may be a competitive state electorally, but its conservative voters are very right-wing.

Yeah, it's interesting the degree to which "populism" correlates with ideological extremism. The least polarized states are often the least democratic, and/or the most corrupt. So pick your poison:

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2021, 08:10:56 AM »

Some people are just not very in touch with reality. And many of those types we have in places of power. And that's scary.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2021, 10:19:44 AM »

This statement is one of the most ignorant I've seen in some time.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2021, 12:44:52 PM »

It seems in a lot of swing states, the GOP has gone full nuthouse as they try to cling to power. You would think they would moderate to make themselves more appealing to swing voters.

True, but RonJon’s always been a right-wing extremist. Definitely the senators most ideologically out of step with his state.

Are you sure about that? Wisconsin gave us Gov. Scott Walker, Sen. Joseph McCarthy, and Rep. Paul Ryan (Ayn Rand devotee). Wisconsin may be a competitive state electorally, but its conservative voters are very right-wing.

Also Bob Kasten.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2021, 04:14:25 PM »

In general, what's Johnson trying to get at by spewing all of this conspiratorial BS? Is he scared of a primary? I know people will say "but muh Biden midterm" but he's acting like he represents Kentucky or Oklahoma.
walleye26

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2021, 07:14:38 PM »

In general, what's Johnson trying to get at by spewing all of this conspiratorial BS? Is he scared of a primary? I know people will say "but muh Biden midterm" but he's acting like he represents Kentucky or Oklahoma.

I legit don’t know. I can’t think of anybody who could primary him from the right and win. He is just alienating suburban moderates in places like Appleton, Greenfield, and Mequon at this point.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2021, 07:17:58 PM »

RoJo sucks, news at 11.
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2021, 07:30:31 PM »

Ron Johnson should refrain from making factually accurate statements if he wants to win re-election.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2021, 07:46:39 PM »

Ron Johnson should refrain from making factually accurate statements if he wants to win re-election.
What "factually accurate" statement did he make? Huh
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2021, 08:46:47 PM »

Ron Johnson is DOA not just because he said that Trump didn't incite the riots is that he won in 2010/ when Scott Walker was on the ballot and Paul Ryan was in leadership in the House

There was a reason why Boehner and Paul Ryan retired, they couldn't repeal Obamacare, that's why Romney and Ryan lost to Obama and Biden due to Obamacare repeal.

Ron Johnson will lose due to fact Biden flipped the state from red to blue and is the home of Russ Feingold. our Gov Evers will have coattails
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2021, 09:59:55 PM »

Ironically enough, James Lankford is probably among the most sane of the solidly red state Republican Senators. But yes-the other three Senators from those states (McConnell, Paul, and Inhofe) are odious in their own ways, and in some respects, Johnson is surpassing them. He's always been a very conservative Senator, but seems to think that taking a more Trumpist stance on the issues will help him.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies