GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:51:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 147
Author Topic: GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires  (Read 146954 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: October 14, 2022, 08:33:58 PM »

Anyone ever notice this "low expectations" thing really only happens with Republican candidates? The media never gives this much benefit of the doubt to a Democrat. Do you think the media would fall over themselves praising Fetterman, for example, if he showed up to a debate and waived around his fake sheriff's badge?

Exactly. Democrat is always expected to be fine. Expectations are always on the ground for Republicans. Just look at recent debates with Tudor Dixon or even Vance. Vance literally got praised for just "sounding polished", same thing with Dixon basically.

Democrats are expected to be an 8. Republicans are expected to be a 2. Thus they always get to "outperform expectations"
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #1326 on: October 14, 2022, 08:36:21 PM »

Anyone ever notice this "low expectations" thing really only happens with Republican candidates? The media never gives this much benefit of the doubt to a Democrat.

He's literally the President of the United States right now. (It also happened in the second 2012 debate.)

Do you think the media would fall over themselves praising Fetterman, for example, if he showed up to a debate and waived around his fake sheriff's badge?

I'm not sure if the media will, for reasons elaborated on elsewhere, but voters almost certainly will. Fetterman has a real chance to put himself in the driver's seat in his debate because expectations are so low.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1327 on: October 14, 2022, 08:57:47 PM »

Anyone ever notice this "low expectations" thing really only happens with Republican candidates? The media never gives this much benefit of the doubt to a Democrat. Do you think the media would fall over themselves praising Fetterman, for example, if he showed up to a debate and waived around his fake sheriff's badge?

Joe Biden
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1328 on: October 14, 2022, 09:05:30 PM »

The debate was a wash. Nothing about this race changed.

Now that that's over Warnock just needs to focus on banking votes for the next three weeks so he can end this madness on November 8.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1329 on: October 14, 2022, 09:31:15 PM »

The debate was a wash. Nothing about this race changed.

Now that that's over Warnock just needs to focus on banking votes for the next three weeks so he can end this madness on November 8.

Nah, I would disagree.

The Walker clip is being passed around everywhere, it's at millions of views on Twitter now. At this point it's a net-negative for Walker. He needed to "do no harm" and he failed.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1330 on: October 14, 2022, 09:43:13 PM »

Lmao @ “this isn’t a prop — it’s real!”
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1331 on: October 14, 2022, 09:43:56 PM »

I moved from supporting nobody to supporting Walker after this debate.

I genuinely don’t know how this debate could improve your opinion of Walker, can you please elaborate?

I can understand if it didn’t change your opinion, or if you were supporting him before and continue to do so, but to go from undecided to pro-Walker? How?

I went into the debate thinking he was very stupid because of the media coverage. I thought he did perfectly fine in the debate and I definitely underestimated him. He answered questions far more directly than Warnock and held Warnock's feet to the fire when Warnock tried to act as if he was not just a Biden rubber stamp. He handled conflict well and was respectful at the same time. Clear contrast with Walker being open about his mental struggles in the past and Warnock evading basic questions like the supreme court and whether Biden should run or not.

Did you miss the part where he pulled out a fake police badge
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1332 on: October 14, 2022, 11:47:16 PM »

Joe Biden

It doesn't count when the Enemy of the People have "low expectations" for both debaters!
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #1333 on: October 14, 2022, 11:50:34 PM »

Imagine how much worse Herschel's CTE would be if his head wasn't so tiny.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #1334 on: October 15, 2022, 12:54:06 AM »

Was pleasantly surprised by some of Walker's performance. Obviously there was a still a good deal of idiocy to go around - the solution to rising insulin prices being cheap gasoline, the prop stunt, etc- but I entered with literally zero expectations, and he held Warnock's feet to the fire incredibly effectively on the abortion issue, he declared with no reservations that he would accept any outcome in November, and he didn't completely sh*t the bed. Obviously, accepting the result of an election is not something for which someone should be given much kudos, but it was still pleasing to hear in this day and age.
kwabbit

« Reply #1335 on: October 15, 2022, 02:02:17 AM »

Was pleasantly surprised by some of Walker's performance. Obviously there was a still a good deal of idiocy to go around - the solution to rising insulin prices being cheap gasoline, the prop stunt, etc- but I entered with literally zero expectations, and he held Warnock's feet to the fire incredibly effectively on the abortion issue, he declared with no reservations that he would accept any outcome in November, and he didn't completely sh*t the bed. Obviously, accepting the result of an election is not something for which someone should be given much kudos, but it was still pleasing to hear in this day and age.

Walker wasn't good, but he wasn't a disaster. Quoting Walker is going to look a little nonsensical even if he is talking clearly and coherently because of how marked his accent/vernacular is. He did say some incoherent things, as he does, but he clearly rehearsed a lot for this debate. He sounded stronger than basically any other time I've seen him.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1336 on: October 15, 2022, 02:54:22 AM »

Lmao @ “this isn’t a prop — it’s real!”

It's a real Paw Patrol badge, so in a way he's not wrong.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1337 on: October 15, 2022, 06:39:31 AM »

Herschel Walker is a joke candidate from a joke party who will be supported by joke people.

But I don’t think this debate did much damage.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1338 on: October 15, 2022, 07:46:34 AM »

Somehow I don't think one side saying the issue should be with a woman and her doctor and the other side saying "why are you aborting babies instead of baptizing them" is going to be seen at parity with most rational people
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #1339 on: October 15, 2022, 08:13:58 AM »

Somehow I don't think one side saying the issue should be with a woman and her doctor and the other side saying "why are you aborting babies instead of baptizing them" is going to be seen at parity with most rational people

Walker responding "You want taxpayer funding for abortion, so you're bringing the government right back into the room" upon Warnock saying the doctor's room was too small for a woman, her doctor, and the government was a fantastic rebuttal, and one that Warnock didn't even deny.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #1340 on: October 15, 2022, 08:43:06 AM »

I moved from supporting nobody to supporting Walker after this debate.
Oh, please. As long as Walker didn’t have a mental breakdown on live TV and try to assault Warnock or the moderator, you were always going to come on here and say that he surpassed your expectations and you now support him
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1341 on: October 15, 2022, 08:54:15 AM »

Walker has to peel away middle class blks and females from Warnock not white men like my uncle is middle class and voted for Ossoff and Warnock last time the benefit of Warnock and Kelly is that they have served only 2 yrs not 6 yr terms that's why in the case of Gavin Newsom he had served only 2/4 yrs voters want you to finish your term, my uncle has always been D but there are many like him that aren't willing to go back and vote R again, GA was always changing Chambliss almost lost, Michelle Nunn and Jason Carter were completetove
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1342 on: October 15, 2022, 09:14:18 AM »

Walker responding "You want taxpayer funding for abortion, so you're bringing the government right back into the room" upon Warnock saying the doctor's room was too small for a woman, her doctor, and the government was a fantastic rebuttal, and one that Warnock didn't even deny.

Warnock's position on abortion is something that I've always been very uncomfortable about with him. He's adopting the generic Democratic position on the issue, and I don't think I've ever heard him say that he was personally pro-life or that he didn't morally condone the practice. Yes, he's a Democrat, but he's also a pastor, and I've always struggled with how a man of God can support a practice such as that.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1343 on: October 15, 2022, 09:24:39 AM »

HidingCommentary
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1344 on: October 15, 2022, 09:34:29 AM »

This feels like this debate was a Rorschach test for democrats and republicans except worse because Walker was objectively terrible.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1345 on: October 15, 2022, 09:35:20 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2022, 09:43:19 AM by Torie »

1. I did not watch the debate.

2. I have read press coverage of the debate.

3. If winning the debate means winning the press coverage of it, since relatively few persuadable voters watched the debate, an example of the press coverage that is reasonably representative, is from by far the most influential paper in the state:

Herschel Walker’s debate performance scores points for his campaign 1/

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politics-blog/herschel-walkers-debate-performance-scores-points-with-supporters/NLEXBRY5KFDHJEU3WICO4P5MNQ/

When the history of the control of the Senate campaign in this election cycle is written, it may well be that last night will be viewed as a key, if not the key, inflection point.

1/ Walker even got a very favorable image out of the article, with him coming across as the alpha male in the photo of the two candidates shaking hands.
HidingCommentary
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1346 on: October 15, 2022, 09:46:28 AM »

1. I did not watch the debate.

2. I have read press coverage of the debate.

3. If winning the debate means winning the press coverage of it, since relatively few persuadable voters watched the debate, an example of the press coverage that is reasonably representative, is from by far the most influential paper in the state:

Herschel Walker’s debate performance scores points for his campaign 1/

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politics-blog/herschel-walkers-debate-performance-scores-points-with-supporters/NLEXBRY5KFDHJEU3WICO4P5MNQ/

When the history of the control of the Senate campaign in this election cycle is written, it may well be that last night will be viewed as a key, if not the key, inflection point.

1/ Walker even got a very favorable image out of the article, with him coming across as the alpha male as the two candidates are shaking hands.

That article basically says "Walker didnt crap his pants on stage like feared, so he exceeded expectations". It's not some glowing review of Walker's performance.
HidingCommentary
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1347 on: October 15, 2022, 09:50:27 AM »

I think i'm just gonna log off for the day. I genuinely feel like I'm being gas lit.
citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #1348 on: October 15, 2022, 09:54:31 AM »

The twitterverse seems to be saying "Walker won" so that probably is a net plus for him, if at all.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #1349 on: October 15, 2022, 09:54:58 AM »

The twitterverse seems to be saying "Walker won" so that probably is a net plus for him, if at all.

Congratulations to Herschel Walker and John Fetterman for becoming Senators from the great state of Twitter.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 147  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies