Would a progressive challenge to NY-GOV Cuomo be successful now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:00:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Would a progressive challenge to NY-GOV Cuomo be successful now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would a progressive challenge to NY-GOV Cuomo be successful now?  (Read 709 times)
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2021, 10:27:38 PM »

He's taking a lot of heat at the moment with the Nursing Home cover-up and the MTA fund raid. Everyone here knows I want BDB to run but I doubt it will happen, however a few other names have popped up like Jumaane Williams. What do you think?
LiberalDem19

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 10:33:12 PM »

As much as i'd love to see someone else as NY governor, it's hard to see who runs.

I do think a pragmatic progressive candidate could take him out though.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 10:36:43 PM »

I wish Anthony Brindisi would run again instead of making another bid against Tenney which probably won't have much of a chance. He can speak to his personal experience with the failures in the current NY state government with the way the election was handled, and I feel like he can appeal to all kinds of Democrats who don't like Cuomo. He almost certainly wouldn't run, but I think he would have one of the best chances of taking Cuomo out of anyone.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 11:09:30 PM »

I wish Anthony Brindisi would run again instead of making another bid against Tenney which probably won't have much of a chance. He can speak to his personal experience with the failures in the current NY state government with the way the election was handled, and I feel like he can appeal to all kinds of Democrats who don't like Cuomo. He almost certainly wouldn't run, but I think he would have one of the best chances of taking Cuomo out of anyone.

Brindisi is more conservative than Cuomo, he might get some upstate support but progressives would stay home if those were the two options and imo the race wouldn't be competitive. 
Lognog
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 01:34:38 PM »

I wouldn't say he's doomed for a house comeback, depends on what they do for redistricting
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 01:42:49 PM »

Jumaane will run and lose. Such is the way of Cuomo's New York.

Ugh.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 01:54:24 PM »

A candidate to his left could win, but probably not a JD/DemSoc primary challenger.

If I had to pick the best candidate to knock off Cuomo, right now it would probably be Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 02:08:03 PM »

A candidate to his left could win, but probably not a JD/DemSoc primary challenger.

If I had to pick the best candidate to knock off Cuomo, right now it would probably be Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney.

I would think and prefer Delgado.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 02:26:08 PM »

Anthony Brindisi is ultra cozy with the people in Albany, literally no chance he runs, and he'd have no chance running on a platform attacking the NY government, given he's part of the mess
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 04:31:07 PM »

Why not Eliot Spitzer, again?

I mean, who cares about his baggage.

You need someone like Spitzer to deal with the economic and Wall Street crisis that enflames NY 13 years later....it's like people didn't learn from Spitzer's AG reign in NY......
PAK Man

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 04:36:59 PM »

Why not Eliot Spitzer, again?

I mean, who cares about his baggage.

You need someone like Spitzer to deal with the economic and Wall Street crisis that enflames NY 13 years later....it's like people didn't learn from Spitzer's AG reign in NY......

Who would even vote for him? The headlines would be all about a disgraced governor who resigned in the middle of his term running again. Yeah, it was a long time ago, but that's just going to bring back a wave of bad publicity. It's not worth it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 01:30:56 AM »

It depends on Redistricting, Cuomo botched the Redistricting last time, there is pressure now on him to gerrymander Rs out
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 06:49:28 AM »

I doubt it. I think what's needed as a progressive of more stature, the likes of Jumaane don't have enough appeal to win a statewide primary.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 01:44:24 PM »

If they could get the national party behind them, they'd have a good chance. In this case, it's probable they wouldn't be very progressive to begin with.

Never say never regarding other bids against Cuomo (especially this far out), but the path to victory seems thin.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 03:34:11 PM »

I don’t think it’s likely that he runs, but I think it would be interesting. He would be the first Governor elected from Upstate New York since Roosevelt in 1928, and the first from outside the Hudson Valley in over 100. Unfortunately for him, that means that he has no relationship with most of the state’s downstate Democrats. Not good for a primary challenger.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 07:24:24 PM »

Probably.

If someone who could raise a lot of money, and was really popular with progressives in New York and nationally (like AOC) ran, that would probably be enough to knock off Cuomo.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies