Why are Southerners seen as “nice”?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:21:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Why are Southerners seen as “nice”?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why are Southerners seen as “nice”?  (Read 1060 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2021, 08:20:34 AM »

What makes Southerners, including Texans, seen as “nice” in relation to the rest of the country?? This transcends race and this is something even liberals will defend.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:33:54 AM »

Because we are.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 10:42:32 AM »

Not "nice" per se, I think the stereotype is more that we're gregarious, affable and genteel.  Historically, the South has a more tradition and etiquette-bound culture than other regions of the U.S.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 12:13:22 PM »

Because of the famous chivalry and honor of the Southern people:

(Wikimedia Commons)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 01:11:18 PM »

If I was forced to live in weather like that, I definitely would not be perceived as "nice" at all. Props to Southerners who can actually (somehow) pull it off to the point where it becomes a stereotype.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 02:14:34 PM »

Interesting article about the different personality traits that define different states, and largely confirms stereotypes. In short, the South (and Midwest) has mostly agreeable (i.e. “nice”) people (except Texas, which also fits with stereotypes), while the Northeast has less agreeable and more neurotic people. Meanwhile, the West Coast has more “relaxed” and “creative” types. Again, stereotypes fit perfectly.

https://time.com/7612/americas-mood-map-an-interactive-guide-to-the-united-states-of-attitude/

Interestingly, Kentucky is pretty much a perfect blend of traits it seems, but for what it’s worth the test on the site says I belong in New York.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 02:18:07 PM »

When you have nothing great to say about a place, you fall back to "the people are nice"...

Obviously, that leaves DC in a rather unfortunate situation, but some places truly have no redeeming qualities.
Noodle
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 02:34:36 PM »

Cause we are Virginians are mean tho
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 07:25:00 PM »

It probably all goes back to the slogan of "Southern hospitality" and how they're portrayed in media like 'Doc Hollywood' as being so gosh darn lovable and charming! In my experience it's a load of bulls***, especially in contrast to how my region is regarded as having snobby rude residents.

One actual example I recall was on my family's infamous road trip to Florida where we stopped at a North Carolina Waffle House and my sister asked them if they had milkshakes there. The very blase waitress rolled her eyes and responded with a stern "A what? No! Pick something else!" in response to this cute little seven year old.

Now I know that it's just one example, there are still others though I can cherry-pick, but surely it's as representative of the South as Snooki is of my state.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 10:18:27 PM »

It probably all goes back to the slogan of "Southern hospitality" and how they're portrayed in media like 'Doc Hollywood' as being so gosh darn lovable and charming! In my experience it's a load of bulls***, especially in contrast to how my region is regarded as having snobby rude residents.

One actual example I recall was on my family's infamous road trip to Florida where we stopped at a North Carolina Waffle House and my sister asked them if they had milkshakes there. The very blase waitress rolled her eyes and responded with a stern "A what? No! Pick something else!" in response to this cute little seven year old.

Now I know that it's just one example, there are still others though I can cherry-pick, but surely it's as representative of the South as Snooki is of my state.

That’s a very limited, very anecdotal experience, to say the least. In my own experience, people in the South, in general, usually ARE nicer (outwardly, anyway, which is a very different thing from being better people). And again, that’s backed up by some research into different AVERAGE (really need to emphasize that) personalities across states. Obviously a ton of people in each state won’t match the average, and certainly even those who do can have bad days and cranky moods. But just in general, there’s something to the stereotype, broadly speaking.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 08:11:07 AM »

In my experience Southerners are less likely to be C**ts. They are also the closest thing America get to being Australian. The Americans I get on best with are Southerners probably for that reason.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 08:14:15 AM »

In my experience Southerners are less likely to be C**ts. They are also the closest thing America get to being Australian. The Americans I get on best with are Southerners probably for that reason.
Makes sense. Minus the guns, you’ve got similar weather, country music, beaches, a similar rural urban split, etc ...
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 03:14:00 PM »

That’s a very limited, very anecdotal experience, to say the least. In my own experience, people in the South, in general, usually ARE nicer (outwardly, anyway, which is a very different thing from being better people). And again, that’s backed up by some research into different AVERAGE (really need to emphasize that) personalities across states. Obviously a ton of people in each state won’t match the average, and certainly even those who do can have bad days and cranky moods. But just in general, there’s something to the stereotype, broadly speaking.
Very true! For example, many people would call you a rude blowhard.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 03:46:58 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2021, 04:11:15 PM by Alben Barkley »

The test did say I belonged in New York, so can’t even disagree with you there. Also, Kentucky was the only state on the map that’s white, seemingly a mix of traits rather than as purely agreeable as most other Southern states. Which kinda fits since KY is basically dead center of the country, getting influences from all surrounding regions.

Also, I like the very agreeable, passive-aggressive, Southern way you insulted me: Indirectly refer to what “many people” might say about me, rather than just outright tell me what you think of me. Again, this is why I don’t think being outwardly nicer or more “agreeable” makes for a better person; I actually prefer good, honest, blunt dickishness over that kind of passive-aggressive BS.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 07:04:49 PM »

Indeed. That's my point though. I don't think you can really say with any objectivity that one region of the country has inherently nicer or more pleasant people than any other.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 07:38:41 PM »

Historically, the South was colonized by English aristocrats, so they brought aristocratic manners with them.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 09:50:41 PM »

Personally, I always thought that Southern "niceness" functioned pretty similarity to Minnesota Niceness: pleasant or affable to your face but harsh and judgmental behind your back.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 10:19:50 PM »

Personally, I always thought that Southern "niceness" functioned pretty similarity to Minnesota Niceness: pleasant or affable to your face but harsh and judgmental behind your back.

That is pretty much how it is. Probably in ALL the states colored red/orange on the map I posted, frankly. I'll take the Northeastern "tell you straight up what we think about you to your face" style over that any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 12:00:10 AM »

That is pretty much how it is. Probably in ALL the states colored red/orange on the map I posted, frankly. I'll take the Northeastern "tell you straight up what we think about you to your face" style over that any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Just a personal preference but that is terrifying. Sure Southerners divert their criticism into gossip, but that is a slow, limited process and you can ignore it unless you really messed up. Rapid NYC-ish feedback about all your choices seems like a lot of unsolicited negativity to deal with 🤷‍♂️
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 12:03:23 AM »

It's the same principle as when you match with some lardass on a dating site.

"Oh how did your date go last night?"

"Well they were, uhh, nice!"
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 12:05:06 AM »

Just a personal preference but that is terrifying. Sure Southerners divert their criticism into gossip, but that is a slow, limited process and you can ignore it unless you really messed up. Rapid NYC-ish feedback about all your choices seems like a lot of unsolicited negativity to deal with 🤷‍♂️

I'd rather know exactly what people think of me immediately, even if it's critical, so I can either correct my behavior if they are right or argue with them if they are wrong, rather than have people talk about me behind my back without knowing what they are saying. Which does me no good whatsoever. Seems more forthright and honorable, as well as more pragmatic.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 01:55:37 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2021, 01:59:50 AM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

Due to fact WC means the gap between rich and poor but many of them were the descendents of slave asters whom had legal apartheid and even poor Jews and Poor blacks were subject to apartheid.

That's why Frankfurter, Cardoza, Brandeis joined together with liberal justices to outlaw chain gangs, poll tax and legal apartheid. Allow Public Defender and Miranda rights.

The three stooges and little Rascals portrayed themselves as poor Jews and poor blacks that were subject to the chain gang which rarely gets talked about

Many Southerners steal from neighbors as well, they are in deep poverty, I stayed briefly in MS and most of my nice items were stolen.

But, Northerners are rich and we replace nice things

It's called insurance, I would never visit the South again
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 03:47:55 AM »

The test did say I belonged in New York, so can’t even disagree with you there. Also, Kentucky was the only state on the map that’s white, seemingly a mix of traits rather than as purely agreeable as most other Southern states. Which kinda fits since KY is basically dead center of the country, getting influences from all surrounding regions.

Also, I like the very agreeable, passive-aggressive, Southern way you insulted me: Indirectly refer to what “many people” might say about me, rather than just outright tell me what you think of me. Again, this is why I don’t think being outwardly nicer or more “agreeable” makes for a better person; I actually prefer good, honest, blunt dickishness over that kind of passive-aggressive BS.

I got West Virginia lol
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2021, 12:54:06 PM »

Historically, the South has a more tradition and etiquette-bound culture than other regions of the U.S.

It's this. It's a reflection of etiquette, which is used as a marker of social class and distinction, which excluded/subordinate class people widely adopted in an effort to be accepted or at least more palatable to the elites. With this in mind, what is historically the most socially stratified geographic region of the country?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2021, 12:57:33 PM »

I always associated niceness with the midwest.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies