What would happen to a Democratic version of Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:03:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What would happen to a Democratic version of Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What would happen to a Democratic version of Trump?  (Read 1927 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2021, 10:32:11 PM »

Let's say we had a Democratic President. He openly states multiple times he won't recognize the results of the election if he loses re-election. He loses. He keeps filing lawsuits after the election and all get thrown out and laughed at. The Electoral College votes for his Republican challenger. He refuses to concede and continues to insist the election was rigged. He holds a big rally the day of the certification of the EC vote. He tries to pressure his own VP to throw out the Republican votes but his VP refuses. But before that he holds the rally and calla for protests. A bunch of his supporters storm the Capitol, threaten Congress, delay certification, talk about hanging the Democratic VP and kill a Capitol police officer.

What would be the status of him now?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 10:38:00 PM »

Shot dead on the evening of January 6th, posthumously impeached and convicted by unanimous vote in both chambers the next morning.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 10:40:57 PM »

Impeached, convicted, removed, & disqualified from federal office back in 2017, before it can ever get as bad as Jan. 6th.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 11:14:48 PM »

25th'd not long into the lame duck period, followed by a swift impeachment and removal.

I'm assuming that they would have gotten away with the sh**t during their Presidency because they would have been dealing out red meat to the base. Their Presidency wouldn't have been a one-to-one comparison to Trump - think a federal gun-grabbing program running completely out of control and shooting a lot of gun owners who resisted, in place of the family separations and migrant camps. So a good chunk of the Dems would have stayed on board. But once the President started actively trying to subvert democracy, I believe most of the Democrats would have turned on them.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 11:25:56 PM »

yOU meAn LiKE aL gOrE?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 11:30:49 PM »

Impeached and removed unanimously over Ukraine already, but if that whole scandal doesn't happen, then impeached and removed unanimously before January 20, and the Democratic Party spends a decade or more in the wilderness, with most Democrats thinking we're getting what we deserve.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 08:12:43 AM »

As for foreign policy, the Israel equivalent is fully reestablishing relations with Iran and allying with them.
The Muslim ban is something involving guns(the immigration stuff as stated before is turned into gun control). The tax bill is some kind of MedicareForAll that doesn’t resemble any actual healthcare system, which have much more sustainable budgets.
Red states are constantly vilified on Twitter(think Bush era stereotypes but made much worse).
Country music is somehow in one of this guy’s rants.
The Covid equivalent is backing Iran in a large scale Israel-Iran war that has nuclear weapons involved.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 09:27:05 AM »

I doubt a Trump-esque figure could actually win a presidential election as a Democrat, at least as a 2016 Democrat.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 10:16:01 AM »

I doubt a Trump-esque figure could actually win a presidential election as a Democrat, at least as a 2016 Democrat.

I doubt a Trump-esque figure could even win a Democratic Presidential primary.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 10:27:30 AM »

The only person that would be is Kayne West and he can win a primary against Harris in 2028, not 2024
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 10:30:16 AM »

In 2008 it’s certainly possible, especially if Trump say plans out a potential 2008 run from as far back as 2003 , like he did with a 2016 run in 2011. Basically he positions himself as a very anti war populist throughout those 5 years and it’s very possible he could have been the democratic nominee in 2008 especially given that many future Trump GOP primary voters were still registered democrats back in 2008.

Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 11:17:15 AM »

He's has been convicted of numerous counts of tax evasion, extortion, fraud, and embezzlement and is currently under house arrest at a friend's house in California awaiting sentencing.

During the primary, he polled at around 1%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Avenatti
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/08/10/michael-avenatti-considering-presidential-run-2020-vpx.cnn
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 11:42:19 AM »

What about say, another more-liked celebrity?  Say...Tom Hanks?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 11:49:07 AM »

In that case, all praise Daddy Hanks, long live the Gump, death to his enemies.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 01:00:05 PM »

The "magic", for lack of a better word, of Trump's candidacy was that he combined his profile as a really famous businessman and celebrity with a message of essentially "burn down the system, drain the swamp, I'll speak out for what you think but the media won't like."

Democrats in 2016 certainly weren't all fans of the system (Bernie Sanders got 46% of the primary vote) but they weren't as fervently angry about the system and the way things are going as Republicans were.

I guess a Trump-like figure would have been possible in 2000 or 2004, when cable news was prevalent enough for a rogue candidate to capitalize on name recognition but also be able to work with a base of secular working-class voters within the Democratic party. But Obama changed the coalition of the Democrats in a way were that couldn't work in 2016 or beyond
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 02:22:55 PM »

The scenario just asks about Trump's post-election behavior. You don't have to find an equivalent for this Democrat for everything Trump did. Although he'd probably also be corrupt as hell I'm sure.

I agree that it's incredibly unlikely a Trump-like figure could win the Democratic nomination. You could probably point toward someone like Ted Lieu as a rough equivalent to Trump on social media, but directly comparing him to Trump or expecting Ted Lieu to behave like him if he lost an election is downright laughable. Michael Avenatti fits better than most people but yes it's also crazy thinking of a scenario in which he would win the Democratic nomination.

To create this hypothetical unicorn you might have to think of someone like Pete Buttigieg in terms of office held and pre-election visibility but far more corrupt and abrasive and also able to connect with a completely different faction of the Democratic base.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 03:52:29 PM »

The scenario just asks about Trump's post-election behavior. You don't have to find an equivalent for this Democrat for everything Trump did. Although he'd probably also be corrupt as hell I'm sure.

I agree that it's incredibly unlikely a Trump-like figure could win the Democratic nomination. You could probably point toward someone like Ted Lieu as a rough equivalent to Trump on social media, but directly comparing him to Trump or expecting Ted Lieu to behave like him if he lost an election is downright laughable. Michael Avenatti fits better than most people but yes it's also crazy thinking of a scenario in which he would win the Democratic nomination.

To create this hypothetical unicorn you might have to think of someone like Pete Buttigieg in terms of office held and pre-election visibility but far more corrupt and abrasive and also able to connect with a completely different faction of the Democratic base.

What haha. Ted Lieu can be confrontational on social media but that's hardly Trump-esque.

Avenatti is probably the closest equivalent but the portions of the Democratic Party that still is so improbable.

What I'm trying to get at is that in order to imagine a Democratic Trump you have to imagine a fundamentally different Democratic Party with a fundamentally different set of values. Like a normal political party would remove a President like Trump, but a party that creates a candidate like Trump and elects a President is genuinely not a normal party.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 06:20:35 PM »

What if Obama did all those awful things. Can anyone say the word "annihilated"?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 06:34:59 PM »

If such a character managed to get the democratic nomination in the first place, the Democratic establishment would’ve forced them off the ticket after anything resembling the Access Hollywood tape.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 06:47:31 PM »

They'd put him on Mount Rushmore.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2021, 07:04:20 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2021, 08:28:08 PM »

He'd claim to be a Republican and win the nomination, just like in real life.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2021, 08:29:32 PM »

As I said before Kayne West primaries Harris is the only way for this to happen but it probably won't happen
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2021, 09:04:37 PM »

"Democratic Trump" would have never won the primary in 2016 to begin with.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 08:23:02 AM »

The "magic", for lack of a better word, of Trump's candidacy was that he combined his profile as a really famous businessman and celebrity with a message of essentially "burn down the system, drain the swamp, I'll speak out for what you think but the media won't like."

Democrats in 2016 certainly weren't all fans of the system (Bernie Sanders got 46% of the primary vote) but they weren't as fervently angry about the system and the way things are going as Republicans were.

I guess a Trump-like figure would have been possible in 2000 or 2004, when cable news was prevalent enough for a rogue candidate to capitalize on name recognition but also be able to work with a base of secular working-class voters within the Democratic party. But Obama changed the coalition of the Democrats in a way were that couldn't work in 2016 or beyond
That figure would more likely be a liberal Perot than a Trump.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies