1980 Democratic primary if Ford won in 1976 and these were the candidates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:49:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1980 Democratic primary if Ford won in 1976 and these were the candidates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Walter Mondale (D)

Walter Mondale (R)

Walter Mondale (O/I)

Frank Church (D)

Frank Church (R)

Frank Church (O/I)

Ted Kennedy (D)

Ted Kennedy (R)

Ted Kennedy (O/I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: 1980 Democratic primary if Ford won in 1976 and these were the candidates  (Read 1008 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2021, 11:05:57 PM »

All have an equal chance at winning the nomination.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 11:07:13 PM »

Carter’s a neoliberal, Kennedy’s a scumbag, so easy vote for Church.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 11:11:11 PM »

Carter picked Mondale as a concession to progressives.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 11:14:09 PM »

And as President he deregulated the airlines and appointed Paul Volcker to the Fed to jack up interest rates.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 11:14:34 PM »

Church.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 11:14:59 PM »

He's not running in this hypothetical, unfortunately.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 11:15:24 PM »

And as President he deregulated the airlines and appointed Paul Volcker to the Fed to jack up interest rates.

Both of these things were fantastic decisions. And it's not even really a subject for debate anymore, given that they both worked out quite well. Hard to believe anyone would still seriously argue against them over four decades later.

It's weird to me how sometimes people are so ideological that they would literally prefer objectively worse policies/decisions that theoretically align better with their ideology over pragmatic, evidence-based policies/decisions that get measurable results. See: Bill Clinton's entire presidency, which literally created more jobs and cut poverty more than any other administration in history, yet is still decried by certain lefties for being "nEoLiBerAl." I guess it just goes to show that, despite all the rhetoric about supporting the working man, the goal isn't to create jobs and lift people out of poverty after all, rather just to win an imaginary war of ideas.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 11:15:43 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2021, 11:20:05 PM by darklordoftech »

I meant to say that Mondale is to the left of Carter.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 11:17:58 PM »

He's not running in this hypothetical, unfortunately.

I meant to say that Mondale is the left of Carter.

Lol I’m blind. Still voting for Church I guess but Mondale’s pretty good too.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 05:10:09 AM »

Frank Church, easily.

Gerald Ford as president from 1974 to 1981 and then succeeded by Frank Church would have been such a good timeline. However, Church would have died in his term, as he did in April 1984. I would hope he'd go with a strong vice president like Lloyd Bentsen or Reubin Askew.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 06:03:14 AM »

Church just pips Mondale for me, but I like both a lot. Definitely not Ted Kennedy.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 11:04:19 AM »

Church > Mondale > Mr. Chappaquiddick.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »

Carter did not cut the health and safety regulations on the airlines, that was Reagan.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 11:55:24 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2021, 12:11:24 PM by Blairite »

Carter did not cut the health and safety regulations on the airlines, that was Reagan.

He's talking about policy changes which let airlines fly where the wanted, price tickets how they wanted, and actually compete with eachother for passenger flow (the government used to control these things for some reason)--the consequences of which of course led to mass affordable air travel. The fact that someone thinks this was a bad thing with hindsight is truly strange.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 12:10:43 PM »

He's talking about policy changes which let airlines fly where the wanted, price tickets how they wanted, and actually compete with eachother for passenger flow (the government used to control both these things for some reason)--the consequences of which of course led to mass affordable air travel. Thr fact that someone thinks this was a bad thing with hindsight is truly strange.

1.I've commented on the Carter deregulation of both the airline and trucking industry before here, I didn't know there was anybody else here who was familiar with how much these industries were defacto government run prior to Carter (Nixon actually started the process.  The purpose was not ideological, it was hoped that greater competition in these industries would reduce inflation.)

2.Due to what I wrote above, I don't know if the OP is aware of that.  When people hear "Carter deregulated the airlines and trucking industries" they likely think that included environmental and health and safety regulations since:

A.As I wrote above, I don't think most people are aware those industries were defacto government run, it seems to be a largely forgotten part of American history along with the low grade left wing terrorism of the late 1960s and the early 1970s and the CIA and FBI involvement assisting right wing causes in America from the 1950s to the 1970s which the Church Committee held hearings on.

B. Probably largely due to Reagan, when people hear 'deregulation' they likely think of cuts to environmental or health and safety regulations.

3.I wouldn't say there were no negative consequences to deregulating the airlines.  Due to the lack of competition through the regulations, the companies and the workers were both guaranteed a certain rate of return.  Especially during the transition to the airlines fully embracing and understanding the new system, workers lost their job security and the airlines lost their guaranteed rate of return.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 12:30:02 PM »

Kennedy
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 12:55:38 PM »

How is someone guilty of manslaughter getting votes?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 01:58:20 PM »

How is someone guilty of manslaughter getting votes?

I don't know, ask the over 7 million Americans who voted for him in the actual 1980 Democratic primaries.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 02:47:24 PM »

I don't know, ask the over 7 million Americans who voted for him in the actual 1980 Democratic primaries.
I hold Atlas to a higher standard than America, especially considering access to information about Chappaquiddick.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 02:52:57 PM »

I hold Atlas to a higher standard than America, especially considering access to information about Chappaquiddick.

I would think holding this place to a higher standard than the USA is a wise choice, but I am not completely sure.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 06:07:50 PM »

Church -> Kennedy -> Mr. Budget Hawk
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2021, 07:24:10 PM »

Church, easily.
AlterEgo

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2021, 12:18:09 AM »

He's talking about policy changes which let airlines fly where the wanted, price tickets how they wanted, and actually compete with eachother for passenger flow (the government used to control these things for some reason)--the consequences of which of course led to mass affordable air travel. The fact that someone thinks this was a bad thing with hindsight is truly strange.

If one is only concerned about how cheaply one can get from city A to city B, sure, deregulation has been great. But one can also be concerned about the stability of that industry and what that has meant to its labor force. One can also be concerned about the level of service and comfort.

One can also say that deregulation did lower fares and barriers to competitors for 25 or so years, although clearly bankruptcies, mergers and acquisitions have led to decreased competition, which should begin to increase those prices.

Yes, on net, deregulation has been mostly positive. The question is whether it will continue to be so. Here's a good read:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/223075818_The_Good_the_Bad_and_the_Ugly_30_Years_of_US_Airline_Deregulation
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2021, 02:19:41 AM »

Church
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2021, 04:22:48 AM »

Bill Clinton's entire presidency, which literally created more jobs and cut poverty more than any other administration in history, yet is still decried by certain lefties for being "nEoLiBerAl." I guess it just goes to show that, despite all the rhetoric about supporting the working man, the goal isn't to create jobs and lift people out of poverty after all, rather just to win an imaginary war of ideas.

Are people STILL unironically pushing this myth in Year Of Our Lord Two-Thousand and Twenty-One? There was no prosperity in the 1990s unless you were a stockbroker.

https://www.epi.org/publication/webfeatures_viewpoints_laborday_99/

Also note the quality of "jobs" that were "created" under Slick Willie:

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/turning-poverty-american-crime/
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies