Woke American Ideas are a Threat, French leaders say (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:00:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Woke American Ideas are a Threat, French leaders say (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Woke American Ideas are a Threat, French leaders say  (Read 4088 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: February 13, 2021, 08:59:21 AM »

@tack50 literally what the f**k

1. Wait you're serious about Xahar's life choices? Wanting to marry within one's faith group is... standard religious practice. That in itself has little to do with self-ghettoization or whatever.

2. Religiousness is for the most part irrelevant. Most "native" Europeans are largely secular... and so? Do you believe that those who aren't are less 'integrated'? Of course you think immigrants 'should' be secular, that's what you think about people in general!

3. I mean, what are you even talking about? So you think e.g. Sprouts should not identify as Italian American? Your phrasing sounds almost like "hey erasing identities is good, actually".

4. I think instead parochial boy's eventual kids should do the f**k they want. Smiley
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 10:19:53 AM »

2) I am not going to lie; I would genuinely give religious Christians a "free pass" or at least condemn that less because European countries have all been historically Christian. It is far from ideal and may make me seem a bit of a hypocrite but whatever.

Ay, there's the rub!

Of course, France is a country that makes secularism by far a huge part of its national identity; so part of "being French" certainly involves leaving religion at home (which includes not wearing christian necklaces, or head veils, or turbans, etc).

Yes, and that's a bad thing.

However, assuming he has the "standard" parents came home in the early 1900s and does not have anything Italian about him other than perhaps a surname; yes, I don't think he should really identify as Italian-American.

I mentioned him precisely because he seems to have plenty Italian about him.

I am not fully against hyphenated identities for people who came as kids, or who have both parents born abroad, but by the time you get to grandchilcren, shouldn't they identify fully with the country they were born and raised in, instead of a country they have literally nothing in common other than a surname (and often not even this!) and having very distant relatives?

Are you aware that those grandchildren relatively often are literally citizens of the 'ancestral' country? Among other things.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 02:25:41 PM »

3) The US have a very different superior approach to immigration than European countries.

This is the real problem here. Just copy us, lol.

I will recognize that the US are far superior on this aspect, but the European people are not Americans Tongue I wish it was that easy lol

Basically the US (and actually, no country in the America were never founded as the explicit "homeland of the Americans" in the same way that many European countries were founded by nationalist movements in the 19th and 20th centuries as the "homeland of the Germans", "homeland of the Czechs", "homeland of the Italians", etc.

I am not sure to what extent this historical argument applies and it is definitely not an insurmountable barrier. However I do think that all things equal, the pressure to conform or soft "civic nationalism" will always be bigger in Europe than the US.

This is a point I agree with instead, except you completely flipped the wording in the last part - civic nationalism is the US kind, while ethnic nationalism is the thing you mean that will always be bigger in Europe.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 04:25:11 PM »

France forces migrants to integrate to its culture and customs which is the right approach, you shouldn't  bring in a backwards culture to a liberal western society and expect it to be tolerated.

You know what's "backwards"? Your attitude towards immigration.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 08:04:10 AM »

Meanwhile, the French approach to regional languages:

https://twitter.com/Francebleubzh/status/1362080694529368076

(the argument the minster is giving us: No need to give Breton lessons to students who already speak it!)

Maybe the ministry should also consider not giving French lessons to students who already speak it, while they're at it. Lmao
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies