Whats the "Florida" of your country?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 05:11:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Whats the "Florida" of your country?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Whats the "Florida" of your country?  (Read 1738 times)
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2021, 06:28:54 PM »

in Canada this is tough but Wasaga Beach, Hamilton and Vancouver Island are top contenders. Whats the "Florida" of your country?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 09:47:21 PM »

Gold Coast, Queensland.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 11:37:40 PM »

In terms of "crazy people doing weird sh*t", it's York and Peel Regions.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 03:33:56 AM »

...........Florida
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 04:22:54 AM »

Pretty sure it's Essex.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 04:26:34 AM »

It depends on what you mean by that.

The hot climate is in Sicily, the biggest swamps are in the Po Delta, the beaches on barrier islands are in the Venetian Coast, the endless flat sprawl has barely any comparison, and the crazy people doing weird sh**t are everywhere across Italy.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 04:47:53 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2021, 06:13:45 AM by Alcibiades »

Yeah, definitely Essex, as East Anglian Lefty said, if you’re going by similarly mocked and stereotyped places, as a trashy coastal cultural desert. It is more right-wing than Florida, relative to the rest of country.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 05:49:56 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2021, 06:04:57 AM by Mike88 »

Maybe the Algarve. It has a lot of beaches, somewhat warm weather all year, tons of hotel resorts, a lot of retirees and it has a massive swamp/salt marsh natural park.

Politically, it's a swing area, however it has become an area quite strong for the PS in the last few years. Nonetheless, Ventura, in the 2021 Presidential elections, performed quite well in the region winning up to 20% of the votes in many places, especially those areas with a lot of hotel and beach resorts.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 06:10:19 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2021, 07:07:23 AM by It's morning again in America »

With regards to the beaches and the vacations spots it would either be Lower Saxony, Schleswig-Holstein, or Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

If we equate "crazy people doing weird sh**t" with increasing support for weird right-wingers (first NPD, then AfD) then it can be definitely nailed down to Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. It's also Angela Merkel's "electoral" homestate, although she was neither born nor raised there, just like Florida in Trump's case. In addition, the G8 summit in 2007 was held at the Grand Hotel Heiligendamm at the Mecklenburg coast which would roughly be the equivalent to Trump holding a G7 summit at Mar-a-Lago. Mecklenburg-Vorpommern's second-largest island, Usedom, has the nickname "Sonneninsel" (Sunny Island) which sounds close enough to Sunshine State.

I can't recall anything similar happening in the other two states, they have the reputation of being largely rural and therefore also rather boring. Simply in terms of the state's size Lower Saxony would be Germany's Florida though (4th largest population among the German states).
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 06:18:29 AM »

Yeah, definitely Essex, as East Anglian Lefty said, if you’re going by similarly mocked and stereotyped places, as a trashy coastal cultural desert. It is more right-wing than Florida, relative to the rest of country.

I don't disagree, though I've heard Essex described as England's New Jersey, which also fits pretty well: mix of urban sprawl, surprisingly pretty countryside, kinda crummy beaches, and working class people sneered at by the megalopolis next door and the rest of the country generally.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 06:38:29 AM »

I don't disagree, though I've heard Essex described as England's New Jersey, which also fits pretty well: mix of urban sprawl, surprisingly pretty countryside, kinda crummy beaches, and working class people sneered at by the megalopolis next door and the rest of the country generally.

Yep, New Jersey, especially the more working class coastal areas of the state, is also a good comparison to Essex (up to both having infamous ‘reality’ shows set there), although you don’t find the elite suburbs and racially diverse cities of NJ in Essex.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 07:05:19 AM »

dailymotion.com/video/x31xlmw
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 07:08:13 AM »

The hot climate is in Sicily, the biggest swamps are in the Po Delta, the beaches on barrier islands are in the Venetian Coast, the endless flat sprawl has barely any comparison, and the crazy people doing weird sh**t are everywhere across Italy.
Venice will likely become uninhabitable one day.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 07:12:33 AM »

Maybe. Is that meant as a comparison to Florida too?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 07:13:00 AM »

...what did I just watch...
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 07:14:19 AM »

Maybe. Is that meant as a comparison to Florida too?
Yes. Miami is not a good place to build property.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 07:37:58 AM »

If we’re talking of a place where... unusual... things occur, I think the West Country is a much better British fit for that type of thing than Essex.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021, 08:30:41 AM »

If we’re talking of a place where... unusual... things occur, I think the West Country is a much better British fit for that type of thing than Essex.

The West Country's a bit too rural dominated to be a Florida, but you're right about its reputation for being full of disreputable oddballs. Maybe it's England's Arkansas?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021, 08:40:07 AM »

The West Country's a bit too rural dominated to be a Florida, but you're right about its reputation for being full of disreputable oddballs. Maybe it's England's Arkansas?

Loveable, not disreputable Wink

I mean it has Bristol and the greater Bristol area which is pretty built up these days; in my view you’ve not really lived unless you’ve been on a night out there (esp. on Gloucester Road on the night of the St Paul’s Carnival).
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2021, 09:27:10 AM »

I don't know if Arkansas really has enough of a reputation to be equated with anything.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2021, 09:30:03 AM »

Knokke
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2021, 09:43:16 AM »

Yep, New Jersey, especially the more working class coastal areas of the state, is also a good comparison to Essex (up to both having infamous ‘reality’ shows set there), although you don’t find the elite suburbs and racially diverse cities of NJ in Essex.

Which is quite a significant difference really.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2021, 10:26:10 AM »

Wasaga Beach seems to be Canada's Jersey Shore.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2021, 10:33:56 AM »

It's not a perfect comparison, but places like Brentwood are fairly elite and there's no shortage of wealth even in places that seem more culturally working-class. Though perhaps that's another way of saying that it's the Long Island to London's NYC, rather than the NJ.

In terms of diversity, it's worth noting that everything east of the Lea was Essex until 1965, so you could certainly think of Newham as London's Hudson County.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »

Carinthia most likely.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: