MA-GOV 2022 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:42:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-GOV 2022 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA-GOV 2022 Megathread  (Read 21206 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: February 08, 2021, 02:23:21 PM »

Ben Downing used to be my State Senator. He's good, so I'll tentatively endorse him.

There is some opposition to Baker forming that wasn't there before, between his COVID response and some of his more right-wing positions showing through. As of now he's still heavily favored, though.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 03:55:12 PM »

Ben Downing used to be my State Senator. He's good, so I'll tentatively endorse him.

There is some opposition to Baker forming that wasn't there before, between his COVID response and some of his more right-wing positions showing through. As of now he's still heavily favored, though.

Could you elaborate on this?

His endorsement of Susan Collins and his veto of an abortion bill (because he believe parents should be allowed to force their children to give birth) are what spring to mind. Also he's trying to limit sick pay for state workers. There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 04:22:03 PM »

Could you elaborate on this?

Demanding teachers go into school in person while simultaneously bumping teachers down on the vaccine priority list, trying to expand charter schools in a back door way after Massachusetts voted 2:1 against charter schools.

That too, and the first part falls under the COVID response.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 12:30:18 PM »

Why would it be Lean R without Baker? Sure, MA Republicans tend to be good at winning especially in Republican years. But they don't have much of a bench and they don't seem particularly interested in nominating someone who can win.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 10:39:56 PM »

Why would it be Lean R without Baker? Sure, MA Republicans tend to be good at winning especially in Republican years. But they don't have much of a bench and they don't seem particularly interested in nominating someone who can win.

We've only had one Democratic governor in the last 30 years.

Wow! Thanks for that cool fact! I had no idea!

You didn't read my post.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 05:25:16 PM »

It would be hilarious if the ticket ends up being Downing/Hinds. Hinds succeeded Downing to represent the same district (largest and westernmost in the state) and they're both bald white guys in their forties.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 07:23:35 PM »

Trump endorses Deihl for MA Governor. If Baker runs for reelection then this could work in his favor - it allows him to easily run away from Trump and get Indies to vote for Baker in the R primary. If he doesn't run, then I expect this to give Deihl the nom over Polito and therefore had the race to the Dems.

Baker is getting a taste of his own far-right medicine. If he doesn't like Diehl he shouldn't have endorsed him in 2018 against Warren.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 03:28:39 PM »

Likely D. It's possible that Republicans will find another Baker type person, but it would be hard for that person to win the primary.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 08:24:04 PM »

While I'm still rating Maryland Likely D out of caution, I think this race probably has to be considered Safe D, unless Democrats somehow nominate Coakley again.

I actually think Coakley would win fairly easily in this day and age, as would several other "failed" candidates from the 2010/2014 cycle (Giannoulias, Udall, etc.). Interesting that you think MA is an ever safer bet than MD for Democrats (I’m inclined to agree, although I have both races as Likely D for now).

Anyway, good riddance to Baker.

Coakley almost beat Baker, so she wasn't the godawful candidate in 2014 that she was in 2010. I don't think she would be a shoo-in though. This conversation is pointless because Coakley isn't running or winning the nomination.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 08:45:37 PM »

D's are finally rid of Baker , we can win the Gov mansion again

It will not be any "achievement". Would they win governorship in Alabama - another matter..

P.S. And it wasn't Democrats "getting rid of Baker". They couldn't do it in 2018 and wouldn't do it in 2022. He decided HIMSELF.

More like Republicans getting rid of Baker.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 05:45:40 PM »

Adam Hinds has already secured most of the Western Mass endorsements in the LG race. Also as much as I hate it, Democrats aren't going to want someone as scandal-ridden as Morse dragging down the gubernatorial ticket.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 06:48:25 PM »

Adam Hinds has already secured most of the Western Mass endorsements in the LG race. Also as much as I hate it, Democrats aren't going to want someone as scandal-ridden as Morse dragging down the gubernatorial ticket.

I’d hardly describe Morse as scandal ridden more framed

He was definitely framed, but he's still somewhat tarnished in the public eye. Plus there are a few police-related issues that could come back to haunt him.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 08:26:42 PM »

Why, though?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2021, 07:50:24 PM »

Why, though?

Why not? He’s a young, qualified candidate would have have as good a chance as any. I don’t know anything about him other than what’s on his wikipedia page, but unless he’s got some skeletons I’m not aware of, he seems like a fine candidate.

Sorry. Nothing against Eric Lesser. I just don't see the point of running for LG when it's a crowded field already.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2021, 12:16:32 PM »

RIP Berkshire bald guy ticket.

Sad to see him drop out, but it's not surprising. He would have been a decent sacrificial lamb against Baker (and he could have won if Baker fell through), but with so many big names as possible candidates, there's no way he would get through a primary.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 05:55:21 PM »

I don't know much about Doughty but he seems pretty low-energy from what I can tell. Also, he's from Wrentham (the same town that Scott Brown is from), LOL.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 05:59:52 PM »

In case anyone what Baker was planning on doing after being Governor.

huh, that’s an interesting change of careers

Definitely. Seems like he's really interested in that, though, not in for the money.

I would actually have liked him to stay around, perhaps serve in the Biden Administration.

I would be disappointed if Biden appointed a Geoff Diehl supporter to anything.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies