MA-GOV 2022 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:49:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-GOV 2022 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Author Topic: MA-GOV 2022 Megathread  (Read 21172 times)
JMT

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2021, 09:12:14 AM »

I couldn’t find an existing megathread for the 2022 Massachusetts Gubernatorial election. Please feel free to merge this with an existing thread if I missed it!

This morning, former state senator Ben Downing (D) announced that he’s running for Governor. This is the first formally declared candidate for Democrats.

mikhaela
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 09:13:34 AM »

If Baker runs again, he wins again.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 09:24:53 AM »

Endorsed
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 02:09:29 PM »

Seems nice, wish he had a chance.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 02:23:21 PM »

Ben Downing used to be my State Senator. He's good, so I'll tentatively endorse him.

There is some opposition to Baker forming that wasn't there before, between his COVID response and some of his more right-wing positions showing through. As of now he's still heavily favored, though.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 02:28:40 PM »

Ben Downing used to be my State Senator. He's good, so I'll tentatively endorse him.

There is some opposition to Baker forming that wasn't there before, between his COVID response and some of his more right-wing positions showing through. As of now he's still heavily favored, though.

Could you elaborate on this?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 03:00:20 PM »

Safe R, regardless of whether Baker or Polito is the Republican nominee. MA Dems are too incompetent to win the Governorship.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 03:20:37 PM »

The D's are gonna improve next yr in 2022 should we go back to full Unemployment, of course, if the Recession last thru 2022, expect a neutral Environment, but if D's get back to full Employment in 2022 states like MA and OH can flip D. It's too early to write off races.
We have 20 mnths til Oct 2022

The only state that will stay R as he wants us VT and Scott.

Even NH is vulnerable to a D takeover
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 03:55:12 PM »

His endorsement of Susan Collins and his veto of an abortion bill (because he believe parents should be allowed to force their children to give birth) are what spring to mind. Also he's trying to limit sick pay for state workers. There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 03:59:54 PM »

Demanding teachers go into school in person while simultaneously bumping teachers down on the vaccine priority list, trying to expand charter schools in a back door way after Massachusetts voted 2:1 against charter schools.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 04:22:03 PM »

Demanding teachers go into school in person while simultaneously bumping teachers down on the vaccine priority list, trying to expand charter schools in a back door way after Massachusetts voted 2:1 against charter schools.

That too, and the first part falls under the COVID response.
mpbond
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 08:01:17 PM »

The vaccination rollout in general has been a disaster for him. I go to uni in Mass but live in CT and the difference between the two states rollout is enormous. Anecdotal, but both my 75 year old grandparents in CT have been vaccinated for a month, meanwhile my roommates grandparents, who are over 80, are still on a waitlist. My mother, a teacher, is scheduled to be vaccinated by the end of the month, meanwhile Massachusetts teachers are completely in the dark. For a state that is home to some of the best and most important research and health institutions in the world, the ball has really been dropped with this and if things don't improve soon, Baker's gonna have a huge problem next election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 10:56:56 PM »

Too bad Joe Kennedy doesn't run, if he ran it would be competetive he really messed up his career with Ed Market challenge
Captain_Tom
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 07:32:33 PM »

I couldn’t find an existing megathread for the 2022 Massachusetts Gubernatorial election. Please feel free to merge this with an existing thread if I missed it!

This morning, former state senator Ben Downing (D) announced that he’s running for Governor. This is the first formally declared candidate for Democrats.

Let's go Baker!  He'll probably be thinking about 2024 though.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 07:24:01 AM »

I assume this is going to be like last time, right?

If Baker's vulnerable, then one of Maura Healey, Kennedy etc runs - and if we get another anonymous dem, then its an indication that '22 will be another coronation for Baker.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 09:18:45 AM »

The only person that can beat Baker is Joe Kennedy and so far he isn't running, Market challenge destroyed his career
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 01:41:59 PM »

Safe R with Baker, Lean R without.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 02:07:02 PM »

Safe R, regardless of whether Baker or Polito is the Republican nominee. MA Dems are too incompetent to win the Governorship.

Lol...wut? Likely D without Baker
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 12:48:19 AM »

He would Tom Brady do if he ran as a Republican?
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 02:16:54 PM »

He would Tom Brady do if he ran as a Republican?

Maybe better than the average conservative republican, but once the attack ads start coming in about his support for Trump, he’ll probably be DOA.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 11:24:36 AM »

The only person that can beat Baker is Joe Kennedy and so far he isn't running, Market challenge destroyed his career

Finally .. something that makes sense !

4 years of Gov take him to 2026 Senate. Would make sense. Too much sense. So it’s not happening
Flyersfan232

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 11:57:53 AM »

dont you mean baker lt governor?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 11:59:16 AM »

Finally .. something that makes sense !

4 years of Gov take him to 2026 Senate. Would make sense. Too much sense. So it’s not happening
if he managed to lose a democratic primary as a kennedy how the hell is he going to beat the republican that came with in 8 points of winning boston in 2018?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 12:30:18 PM »

Why would it be Lean R without Baker? Sure, MA Republicans tend to be good at winning especially in Republican years. But they don't have much of a bench and they don't seem particularly interested in nominating someone who can win.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2021, 01:32:47 PM »

Why would it be Lean R without Baker? Sure, MA Republicans tend to be good at winning especially in Republican years. But they don't have much of a bench and they don't seem particularly interested in nominating someone who can win.

We've only had one Democratic governor in the last 30 years.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies