MA-GOV 2022 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:50:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-GOV 2022 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: MA-GOV 2022 Megathread  (Read 21220 times)
swf541

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2021, 04:41:09 AM »

D's are finally rid of Baker , we can win the Gov mansion again

It will not be any "achievement". Would they win governorship in Alabama - another matter..

P.S. And it wasn't Democrats "getting rid of Baker". They couldn't do it in 2018 and wouldn't do it in 2022. He decided HIMSELF.
It indeed wasnt the dems getting rid of him.... was his own party....
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2021, 08:05:24 AM »

D's like Prez Johnson can stop their praise of Baker, finally a D Gov after 8 yrs
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2021, 09:38:29 AM »

Am I the only one surprised that MA-GOP even has a Trump wing that threatened to primary Baker in the first place?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2021, 09:41:22 AM »

It will not be any "achievement". Would they win governorship in Alabama - another matter..

P.S. And it wasn't Democrats "getting rid of Baker". They couldn't do it in 2018 and wouldn't do it in 2022. He decided HIMSELF.

He would win primary, despite all that hate from Trump fanatics....
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2021, 09:42:29 AM »

Polling showed that he'd lose the primaries so I presume that's why he retired.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2021, 09:48:07 AM »

Am I the only one surprised that MA-GOP even has a Trump wing that threatened to primary Baker in the first place?

Trump doesn't like Mavericks he is primarying DeWine, Lisa Murkowski and he has endorsed Abrams over Kemp that's why
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2021, 10:16:40 AM »

Polling showed that he'd lose the primaries so I presume that's why he retired.

Unlikely. Primaries in Massachusetts are open, and number of Indies (among which he was very popular), taking part in Republican primary, would, most likely, surpass number of Republicans...
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #207 on: December 02, 2021, 12:26:44 PM »

I won't rule out the long possibility of a moderate who can survive the base, like Richard Ross, jumping in and winning, nor of Baker "deciding" both nominees are "too extreme" and getting in as an independent at the last minute, but as it stands this moves to a 95%+ D race.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #208 on: December 02, 2021, 04:29:03 PM »

D's like Prez Johnson can stop their praise of Baker, finally a D Gov after 8 yrs

He was still a pretty good governor.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #209 on: December 02, 2021, 04:36:34 PM »

Even if Baker probably still would have won a semi-open Massachusetts primary in the end, it would have been politically grueling and maybe even psychologically exhausting-to-traumatizing. I don't blame him for throwing his hat in, especially after two full terms that most Bay Staters (rightly or not) perceive to have been very successful. And not only should it not be as surprising as it is that the MAGOP has a now-ascendant Trumpist wing, I think people would do well to remember that Trump, at least in 2016, was himself a creature of Northeastern state Republican bases; it was his landslides in states like Massachusetts that solidified him as the primary frontrunner!
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2021, 09:08:56 PM »

What is the view here of Maura Healey? I've heard that she's a staunch progressive, with a "unlikable" personality, who tends to lean in heavily on social and cultural issues (or in other words, that she's the archetype of an upper middle-class, suburban Democrat). I've heard, on the other hand, that she possesses some charisma and could be a solid candidate. What is the consensus?
Duke of York

« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2021, 09:30:11 PM »

What is the view here of Maura Healey? I've heard that she's a staunch progressive, with a "unlikable" personality, who tends to lean in heavily on social and cultural issues (or in other words, that she's the archetype of an upper middle-class, suburban Democrat). I've heard, on the other hand, that she possesses some charisma and could be a solid candidate. What is the consensus?

she will be formidable candidate even if Walsh jumps in.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2021, 10:45:10 PM »

All of this is true. Her "lane" would be similar to Markey's in the primary against Kennedy last year. The perception that there's Coakley potential in the general is motivated by sexism since Healey has, as you say, some charisma and Coakley simply did not, but Healey wouldn't be a shoo-in in a primary against someone like Walsh who could appeal to the types of voters Kennedy tried to mobilize against Markey but without coming across as a lightweight.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2021, 11:05:26 PM »

All of this is true. Her "lane" would be similar to Markey's in the primary against Kennedy last year. The perception that there's Coakley potential in the general is motivated by sexism since Healey has, as you say, some charisma and Coakley simply did not, but Healey wouldn't be a shoo-in in a primary against someone like Walsh who could appeal to the types of voters Kennedy tried to mobilize against Markey but without coming across as a lightweight.

This seems reasonable. I don't know much about Walsh either, other than that he was Mayor of Boston and has a more traditional "pro-labor" background. It'll be interesting, nevertheless, to see a primary play out between them, and to see who would prevail. Either would be a heavy favorite in the general against Diehl, who will probably be the Republican nominee at this point and is far to the right of the state.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2021, 05:44:50 AM »

I’m so confused. Most of you guys are saying Walsh would beat Healey but that Healey would beat Kennedy? LOL.

If Healey is really as much of a rising star as many of you think she is - She should be able to beat Walsh. If she can’t beat Walsh then she wouldn’t beat Kennedy either
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2021, 08:41:12 AM »

New England is very white, irreligious, and deindustrialized. Not sure why anyone would be surprised that the small contingent of Republican voters tends towards Trump. The "moderate" reputation of the state parties is due to their domination by a small handful of donors and experienced organizers.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2021, 09:48:30 AM »

Not sure where the idea that she's unlikeable came from. She manages the difficult balance of being well-liked by both progressives and establishment types in the state. And she's a very strong frontrunner here. Color me skeptical that Walsh jumps in and even more skeptical that he'd do well if he did.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2021, 09:56:47 AM »

You’ll hang me out to try for this take but I do think being there is no incumbent - Kennedy would win this if he ran but he likely has no intrest. Otherwise Healey wins easily.

Walsh would be a good Governor but don’t think he wins against Healey
JMT

« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2021, 03:13:58 PM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2021, 08:45:37 PM »

More like Republicans getting rid of Baker.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2021, 10:35:56 PM »

I’m so confused. Most of you guys are saying Walsh would beat Healey but that Healey would beat Kennedy? LOL.

If Healey is really as much of a rising star as many of you think she is - She should be able to beat Walsh. If she can’t beat Walsh then she wouldn’t beat Kennedy either

Walsh has had more successes in contested Democratic fields in Massachusetts than Kennedy has, even though his were localized to Boston proper.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #221 on: December 04, 2021, 10:52:07 AM »

I still don't get how this guy was dating Fran Drescher...
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: December 04, 2021, 12:03:55 PM »

Ayyadurai’s main function will be to make Diehl look good.
Duke of York

« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2021, 11:36:11 PM »

Ayyadurai’s main function will be to make Diehl look good.

What are the odds Diehl gets the nomination?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: December 04, 2021, 11:58:13 PM »

Joe Kennedy should of ran but he would have to go thru another primary, he would of been a good Gov
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies