MA-GOV 2022 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:40:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-GOV 2022 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: MA-GOV 2022 Megathread  (Read 21199 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »

I can not wrap my brain around the idea that the era of moderate R governors in Massachusetts is over, at least for now, and our tiny Republican party did the deed. It's been more than 30 years since Weld was first elected.

A moderate Republican can win in 2026 or 2030 if a Democratic governor raises taxes.....Baker will not be the last Republican governor
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2021, 03:06:27 PM »

I can not wrap my brain around the idea that the era of moderate R governors in Massachusetts is over, at least for now, and our tiny Republican party did the deed. It's been more than 30 years since Weld was first elected.

A moderate Republican can win in 2026 or 2030 if a Democratic governor raises taxes.....Baker will not be the last Republican governor

But can a moderate Republican win the nomination? And who would that Republican be? There’s no bench for a moderate.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2021, 03:10:01 PM »

But can a moderate Republican win the nomination? And who would that Republican be? There’s no bench for a moderate.
History shows it is possible for a moderate R to win. But as you said there's really no bench. If there's no bench, well, then it's no cigar.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2021, 03:12:38 PM »

History shows it is possible for a moderate R to win. But as you said there's really no bench. If there's no bench, well, then it's no cigar.

I'm not sure a bench is that important. Baker's only elected experience prior to the governorship was select board of a small town.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2021, 03:18:08 PM »

I'm not sure a bench is that important. Baker's only elected experience prior to the governorship was select board of a small town.
Interesting, I was not aware of that.
I guess then it'd depend on whether the small town/suburban voter base outside  Boston feels like it wants a Democratic governor. That depends on the strength of the D nominee and on how much they are prioritizing putting a check on the legislature.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2021, 03:27:29 PM »

History shows it is possible for a moderate R to win.

It seems like Trump has polarized the party so that it’s no longer possible.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: December 01, 2021, 03:28:39 PM »

Likely D. It's possible that Republicans will find another Baker type person, but it would be hard for that person to win the primary.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #182 on: December 01, 2021, 03:40:00 PM »

History shows it is possible for a moderate R to win.

It seems like Trump has polarized the party so that it’s no longer possible.
We don't know yet if Trump will be a huge player in politics in 2022 (if a week is a lifetime in politics, what is a year?), let alone 2026 and 2030. Would he have some instrumental role in bringing about a permanent shift? It feels premature to say Trump has permentantly altered the MA GOP into an outfit that can never win the corner office. It could definitely happen, but that's a different bowl of clam chowder...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #183 on: December 01, 2021, 04:56:47 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2021, 04:59:55 PM by smoltchanov »

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Congratulations to Maura Healey!

You seem to be happy that he's not running for reelection.

Again: don't be surprized. He is a Democratic "activist" after all. That's natural.... for them...

What exactly is so wrong with a Democrat being happy a Democrat will be elected?

Anyway, this race is now Safe D and Healey will be an incredible Governor.

Because your beliefs cannot be sincerely held if they just so happen to align with one particular party. You are only sincere if you believe in nebulous things like bipartisanship and centrism, obviously.

No. Because only idiot can say "BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" to second most popular governor in the nation (and - popular even among Democrats).... No respect=no culture...
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #184 on: December 01, 2021, 05:05:13 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2021, 05:18:01 PM by Josh Shapiro for Governor »

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Again: don't be surprized. He is a Democratic "activist" after all. That's natural.... for them...

What exactly is so wrong with a Democrat being happy a Democrat will be elected?

Because your beliefs cannot be sincerely held if they just so happen to align with one particular party. You are only sincere if you believe in nebulous things like bipartisanship and centrism, obviously.

No. Because only idiot can say "BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" to second most popular governor in the nation (and - popular even among Democrats).... No respect=no culture...

I'm so confused.

So, because he's popular I'm not allowed to prefer a Democrat be in his position?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #185 on: December 01, 2021, 05:09:21 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2021, 05:12:35 PM by smoltchanov »

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm so confused.

So, because he's popular, I'm not allowed to prefer a Democrat be in his position?

Of course - allowed. But - in a intellectially cultural way (IMHO). When i see "good riddance"  not because person is a "bad politician" (that includes "unpopular"), but strictly because person's party membership - excuse me...
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #186 on: December 01, 2021, 05:34:12 PM »

While I'm still rating Maryland Likely D out of caution, I think this race probably has to be considered Safe D, unless Democrats somehow nominate Coakley again.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #187 on: December 01, 2021, 06:16:29 PM »

With Baker and Polito both, this is Safe D
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #188 on: December 01, 2021, 06:24:22 PM »

While I'm still rating Maryland Likely D out of caution, I think this race probably has to be considered Safe D, unless Democrats somehow nominate Coakley again.

I actually think Coakley would win fairly easily in this day and age, as would several other "failed" candidates from the 2010/2014 cycle (Giannoulias, Udall, etc.). Interesting that you think MA is an ever safer bet than MD for Democrats (I’m inclined to agree, although I have both races as Likely D for now).

Anyway, good riddance to Baker.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #189 on: December 01, 2021, 08:20:39 PM »

Dukakis is following the Chomsky model.

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #190 on: December 01, 2021, 08:23:51 PM »

Likely D -> Tossup
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #191 on: December 01, 2021, 08:24:04 PM »

I actually think Coakley would win fairly easily in this day and age, as would several other "failed" candidates from the 2010/2014 cycle (Giannoulias, Udall, etc.). Interesting that you think MA is an ever safer bet than MD for Democrats (I’m inclined to agree, although I have both races as Likely D for now).

Anyway, good riddance to Baker.

Coakley almost beat Baker, so she wasn't the godawful candidate in 2014 that she was in 2010. I don't think she would be a shoo-in though. This conversation is pointless because Coakley isn't running or winning the nomination.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2021, 08:47:11 PM »

Safe D
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #193 on: December 01, 2021, 09:27:32 PM »

Likely D -> Tossup

That Dukakis is still alive is certainly a reminder of how the past isn't that distant, though it has been 33 years since he lost to the elder Bush.
JMT

« Reply #194 on: December 01, 2021, 09:57:12 PM »

progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2021, 10:43:57 PM »

Agreed.  There will be another.  I think this is Maura's to lose.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2021, 10:53:19 PM »

Dukakis would lose because the Republicans would run the tax and spend thing.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2021, 11:13:52 PM »

Dukakis would lose because the Republicans would run the tax and spend thing.
no they'd run the revolving door thing
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2021, 12:23:40 AM »

D's are finally rid of Baker , we can win the Gov mansion again
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2021, 03:17:19 AM »

D's are finally rid of Baker , we can win the Gov mansion again

It will not be any "achievement". Would they win governorship in Alabama - another matter..

P.S. And it wasn't Democrats "getting rid of Baker". They couldn't do it in 2018 and wouldn't do it in 2022. He decided HIMSELF.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies