What if Clinton resigned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:18:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What if Clinton resigned?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Clinton resigned?  (Read 537 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2021, 08:00:57 AM »

How does 2000 go if Gore is the incumbent?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 12:01:29 PM »

I don't see Gore being the Democratic nominee in 2000 if that happens. The defense of Clinton was a major energizing factor for the Democrats, and Gore's enthusiastic cheerleading of Clinton is what propelled him to the nomination. There certainly would have at the minimum been more than Bradley opposing Gore for the nomination. Also, no way Hillary becomes Senator in 2000.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 03:56:40 PM »

If the Lewinsky scandal was bad enough for Clinton to resign in this scenario, then it was much worse than it was in real life - on par with Watergate - in which case, Gore's probably a significant underdog heading into 2000. But the economy was good, so who knows, maybe he does what Ford couldn't & barely trudges across the finish line.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 03:47:56 PM »

If the Lewinsky scandal was bad enough for Clinton to resign in this scenario, then it was much worse than it was in real life - on par with Watergate - in which case, Gore's probably a significant underdog heading into 2000. But the economy was good, so who knows, maybe he does what Ford couldn't & barely trudges across the finish line.

I wasn't even assuming it was worse, just that Billy boy didn't bother fighting it. Without the energy Gore gained from supporting Clinton fighting the impeachment, I think Bradley (or some other Democrat) does what Reagan failed to do in 1976, replace the replacement.  If the Lewinsky scandal was worse, Gore is even more toast, and might not even bother trying for the nomination himself, but try to find someone politically similar to run in his stead.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 10:48:45 AM »

I wasn't even assuming it was worse, just that Billy boy didn't bother fighting it.

The only way Clinton would’ve resigned would’ve been if public opinion had turned against him. I think the only way that might’ve happened would’ve been if Lewinsky had claimed it wasn’t consensual or that Clinton had threatened her if she didn’t sign the false affidavit.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 09:56:33 PM »

Clinton resigning might help Gore, given the advantages of incumbency, if he plays his cards right.

It would, however derail Hillary's career.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 07:36:39 PM »

If the scandal is as it was and Clinton still resigns, I think Gore wins in 2000 as while a majority of the public didn't approve of his actions, most didn't support impeaching and removing him from office over it and I doubt they'd support him being forced to resign over the matter. Gore would ride out the tail end of the dotcom boom as well as peace abroad to his own elected term in 2000.

If the scandal being worse than it was forces Clinton to resign, I think Gore is toast if he even runs at all. I imagine Bradley or Gephardt (most likely the former) are put up to take a loss against Bush (his calls for "restoring honor and dignity to the White House" would have more appeal in this case), while also not having the taint of Clinton/Gore.
Proud Houstonian
Proud Houstianan
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 08:43:33 PM »

He would be a say ford Losing Like This: https://www.yapms.com/app/?m=7wji
Proud Houstonian
Proud Houstianan
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 08:45:45 PM »

Give or take a few states and also a bush popular vote win and florida never happens since w/out florida he still wins 276 to 261 or 262
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies