What are the most overrated movies of all time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:54:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What are the most overrated movies of all time?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What are the most overrated movies of all time?  (Read 1017 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2021, 10:11:37 PM »

Literally everything Tarantino has done.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2021, 11:26:16 PM »

Bull Durham. It's not as wide-spread popular compared to some movies mentioned here, but its fans think its the best sports movie of all time. I found it terribly boring and I think Susan Sarandon is just the absolute worst.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2021, 03:24:42 AM »

The most overrated film I remember watching is probably Bohemian Rhapsody. Nice inoffensive film whose only use is being a Freddie Mercury biopic and attracting Queen fans. I don't know how it got 4 Academy Awards.

Since we are here, when will the John Dule 100 Favourite Films Thread come back?

I hit a wall because I couldn't decide what to put next. I suppose I'll update it soon.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2021, 04:35:35 AM »

Wonder woman 1984. The fact it had more than a 0 percent, a IMDB 1.0, and made even a singular penny makes it the most over rated "movie" of all time. The 18120 seconds I've spent watching it was 18120 too many
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2021, 05:06:55 AM »
« Edited: February 08, 2021, 05:10:05 AM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

X-men Apocalypse that movie was so bad it failed it's expectations

Dark Phoenix was terrible too

Amazing Spider-man was so bad they fired Andrew Garfield a 30 yr old actor isn't a good idea to play a teenager

Miss Marvel, they said it was bad and it definitely wa

Justice League that's why Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill aren't acting in movies any longer

Thor III was bad too
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2021, 09:31:47 AM »

The Green Book. An extremely average film that somehow won best picture.
Tulsi/Tucker/DeSantis Stan
TulsiGabbardStan
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2021, 12:26:34 PM »

X-men Apocalypse that movie was so bad it failed it's expectations

Dark Phoenix was terrible too

Amazing Spider-man was so bad they fired Andrew Garfield a 30 yr old actor isn't a good idea to play a teenager

Miss Marvel, they said it was bad and it definitely wa

Justice League that's why Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill aren't acting in movies any longer

Thor III was bad too

None of these movies are overrated, everyone hates them.

That being said I only watched The Amazing Spider Man out of all of these movies, and that too in 2012.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2021, 12:40:16 PM »

How did I know this was a Dule post just from the way it was written?

The weird thing is, I agree with almost everything here except for Rogue One, which was a very entertaining film I've seen multiple times and one of the top 3 or 4 Star Wars films, IMO.

My overrated films would be:
- Any $1 billion+ superhero film that came out since 2005, including TDK, (but excluding Joker, since I haven't seen that)
- Moonlight, the Green Book, Parasite, La La Land, and Lady Bird
- Any Chris Nolan film since Memento
- Any Quentin Tarantino film since 1995
- Finding Nemo
- Mid to Late 2000's buddy comedies generally
- Get Out
- The original Borat
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2021, 04:55:43 PM »

Several weeks ago I watched Rosemary's Baby for the first time because I read something on the internet saying how the film was ahead of its time and explored themes such as religion, feminism, the counterculture, and contemporary 1960s American politics under the rubric of horror.  

The article was complete nonsense, and the movie wasn't like that at all.  lol.   It has some really nice cinematography, I'll give it that much.  And it appeared it was actually going into some real interesting territory...then the last 5 minutes:  *rolls eyes*

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2021, 06:55:51 PM »

Good list, PP. Most of those films are pretty bad. The only ones I would take serious issue with are Taxi Driver, O Brother Where Art Thou, and Unforgiven. I'd also say that La La Land, while overrated and simplistic, features very clever and memorable music. I enjoy playing it on the piano to this day. There are a lot of films on this list that I think are good, but most of them aren't particularly memorable. Wayne's World, for example, is a fun movie to watch but it isn't anywhere close to my Top 100 list.

I agree that Nolan's fans are obnoxious and his movies are not nearly as clever as people think they are. Inception is decent from a storytelling perspective, and probably my favorite film of his, but it also has absolutely no characterization whatsoever. I often forget that Tom Hardy and Gordon-Levitt are in that film because their characters have so little to do and they're so freaking boring.

Also, thank you for reminding me of Gravity. My God I detest that film. I was pretty excited for it coming out because I enjoyed Cuaron's Y Tu Mama Tambien, and the sole Harry Potter film he directed was easily the best of the bunch. However, it was nothing more than 90 minutes of Sandra Bulls**t flying from one space station to the next. The scene with Clooney holding on to the rope was unbelievably idiotic for any audience member with a third-grade understanding of how space works.

I should also add the filmography of Darren Aronofsky to my list. This man has made one pretentious turd after another, from Requiem for a Dream to The Fountain. Noah with Russell Crowe might be his worst film; it's a sloppy, visually repulsive adaptation of the Biblical story that (I can't believe I'm saying this) completely fails to do justice to the original myth.

Well, as I mentioned I don't necessarily hate any of the movies on my list unless they're in bold. And typically musicals and Westerns don't resonate with me. I do have a select few in those genres that I like such as 'Fiddler on the Roof' and 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' but there are very few and on average I'm more likely to not care for a musical or Western from the get-go.

As far as Aronofsky is concerned I do like most of his movies other than 'The Fountain' and have mixed opinions about 'Mother!' and 'Noah.' In spite of that I understand why many find his films pretentious. However, 'I love and will defend 'The Wrestler' (and not just because it takes in New Jersey). I'm actually curious what you think of it, John Dule. It's probably his most approachable film to people who aren't familiar or don't care for his other works.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2021, 08:35:54 PM »

Well, as I mentioned I don't necessarily hate any of the movies on my list unless they're in bold. And typically musicals and Westerns don't resonate with me. I do have a select few in those genres that I like such as 'Fiddler on the Roof' and 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' but there are very few and on average I'm more likely to not care for a musical or Western from the get-go.

As far as Aronofsky is concerned I do like most of his movies other than 'The Fountain' and have mixed opinions about 'Mother!' and 'Noah.' In spite of that I understand why many find his films pretentious. However, 'I love and will defend 'The Wrestler' (and not just because it takes in New Jersey). I'm actually curious what you think of it, John Dule. It's probably his most approachable film to people who aren't familiar or don't care for his other works.

I still have not seen The Wrestler, but I've heard it's his best movie, so perhaps I should give it a shot someday. I had largely forgotten Aronofsky existed until Mother! came out, and at the behest of a friend I gave it a shot. It was actually quite good; a bit heavy-handed, but definitely the first movie of his that I can say I genuinely enjoyed. I typically don't like Jennifer Lawrence either, but something about that film clicked with me. I think it's because the home invasion aspect of it played up the psychological terror of one's privacy and personal space being violated, and of course I like the religious commentary in it.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2021, 10:09:03 PM »

Lol at the length of Progressive Pessimists list.

You can tell a movie buff by the films they detest.

Not all films appeal to the same people, so I try not to look at ratings.

I only have a couple of simple rules with films.

1. Don't insult my intelligence where we get to the point where I want to turn it off. I want to get the end of the film wanting more, not realising how long the film went for.

2. Don't start really strong with the production quality and then lose the storyline with a real faded 'let's wrap this up' energy level at the end.

3. No cute moral punchlines at the end like a Facebook meme about the meaning of life.

I can handle a fairly diverse range of subject material as long as it is made with passion and intelligence.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2021, 04:20:43 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2021, 04:26:24 AM by Progressive Pessimist »

Lol at the length of Progressive Pessimists list.

You can tell a movie buff by the films they detest.

Not all films appeal to the same people, so I try not to look at ratings.

I only have a couple of simple rules with films.

1. Don't insult my intelligence where we get to the point where I want to turn it off. I want to get the end of the film wanting more, not realising how long the film went for.

2. Don't start really strong with the production quality and then lose the storyline with a real faded 'let's wrap this up' energy level at the end.

3. No cute moral punchlines at the end like a Facebook meme about the meaning of life.

I can handle a fairly diverse range of subject material as long as it is made with passion and intelligence.

Haha! I know! I got carried away. I apologize if it took up to much room. What films weren't on my list, right?

But for real, I like threads like these because I now have this in writing for future reference. It might be an obsessive-compulsive thing but I find making lists of things therapeutic.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2021, 02:10:50 PM »

A ton lol.

I rated all of those below 4/10

The Usual Suspects
Life is Beautiful
Braveheart
Requiem for a Dream
V for Vendetta
Incendies
Inception

Perhaps if i rewatch them, they might get a better rating (mostly only applies to Requiem for a Dream and Inception)
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2021, 09:02:03 PM »

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: I really don't see why this has become part of the Holiday Canon. I don't think there's a single moment I laughed when watching it. It feels exactly like one of those sequels that are solely made because the last movie turned more of a profit than the execs were expecting and the actors didn't have anything else lined up. Very Pirates of the Caribbean 4. Then again, I'm also weird in that European Vacation is probably my favorite of the National Lampoon's Vacation movies.

I may get some hate for this, but I feel the same way about "A Christmas Story." It does have some funny moments but it got absolutely played to death.

RE: National Lampoon, aren't there different actors playing the kids in "Vacation" and "Christmas Vacation"? That always confused me.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2021, 02:05:42 PM »

Margin Call is trash, especially considering how The Big Short is superior in almost every conceivable way:  more informative, more entertaining, historically more accurate, etc....
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies