What are the most overrated movies of all time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:33:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What are the most overrated movies of all time?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What are the most overrated movies of all time?  (Read 1016 times)
Tulsi/Tucker/DeSantis Stan
TulsiGabbardStan
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2021, 11:08:08 AM »

And no I don’t count films like Titanic or Avatar. They’re terrible movies but so many people call then overrated they aren’t overrated anymore imho.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 11:12:05 AM »

The Matrix
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 11:18:45 AM »

The Dark Knight.
LBJer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 11:46:21 AM »

And no I don’t count films like Titanic or Avatar. They’re terrible movies but so many people call then overrated they aren’t overrated anymore imho.

I've never seen Avatar, but I would say that Titanic is an excellent movie.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 12:04:43 PM »

The Titantic isn't overrated, it's very good movie that you can only watch once because it can be quite heavy and doesn't have the happy ending that you see in other movies

An overrated movie I thought was Citizen Kane, the entire Twilight franchise, Top Gun, Forest Gump and Pulp Fiction(unpopular)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 12:52:51 PM »

The Titantic isn't overrated, it's very good movie that you can only watch once because it can be quite heavy and doesn't have the happy ending that you see in other movies

Is this /s?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 02:12:54 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2021, 06:32:02 PM by Crumpets »

Deadpool: I made it about half way through and had to turn it off. The characters were unlikable, the humor felt soulless and manufactured, and I don't even remember what the plot or conflict were supposed to be. Maybe it gets better at the end, I don't know.

Bridge to Terabithia: This is mostly forgotten as far as I can tell, but the fact that this didn't go down as one of the worst high-budget movies of recent decades along with the likes of Battlefield Earth or Movie 43 tells me it's still vastly overrated. I went to see this for a friend's birthday party and there were a grand sum total of two reactions from everyone in that theatre: crying or uproarious laughter. It was truly shocking as a member of the audience, even as a kid, to see how badly that movie handled the last half hour or so. If you want to watch a somewhat similar, but I believe very underrated movie, check out the Last Mimzy.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: I really don't see why this has become part of the Holiday Canon. I don't think there's a single moment I laughed when watching it. It feels exactly like one of those sequels that are solely made because the last movie turned more of a profit than the execs were expecting and the actors didn't have anything else lined up. Very Pirates of the Caribbean 4. Then again, I'm also weird in that European Vacation is probably my favorite of the National Lampoon's Vacation movies.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 03:13:58 PM »

The Dark Knight: One truly great performance amidst a muddled, messy plot and generally poor acting otherwise. The dialogue is stilted, and Nolan (as usual) cares more about constructing elaborate and memorable set pieces than character development.

The Matrix: Its revolutionary special effects are aging poorly, and this is making people realize that the rest of the movie just isn't that special. However, the movie is still much better than its sequels, which people hated even at the time.

ET: An unrelentingly sappy, heartstring-tugging Spielberg love-fest that pales in comparison to Close Encounters. While its impact on pop culture can't be denied, it doesn't seem to be standing the test of time in the way that (for example) Raiders of the Lost Ark has. I know of very few people who would count it among their favorite films today.

Hugo: Arguably Martin Scorsese's worst directorial effort, with a whopping 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. This movie is colossally predictable; it borrows heavily from better films that deal with the same subject matter, and its visual effects are more distracting than groundbreaking.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: An ADHD mishmash for man-children, assembled from disconnected plotlines featuring Nazis, aliens, Norse gods, billionaire inventors, mad scientists, and mutants. Tonally inconsistent from beginning to end. The few decent films in the series are the standalone adventures, which at least have a semblance of continuity. The big Avengers movies, however, are impossible-to-follow clusterf**ks of ugly, cluttered CGI bodies flailing around the screen. Age of Ultron is the worst entry in the series, but Black Panther gets a special shoutout as "most overrated" because of the morons who see it as some kind of civil rights milestone.

The Harry Potter series: While I defend the books as a shining example of children's literature, these movies are quite terrible. The child actors simply aren't believable; Emma Watson is a terrible actress, which is probably why she has begun to abandon that career path in favor of activism. The bright moments are mostly from Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith, but they cannot save these films from being sterile reproductions of much better original stories.

Disney Wars: There are maybe two truly great Star Wars films, as well as two others that are fun to watch just for so-bad-it's-good purposes. The Disney trilogy and Rogue One, however, are truly unwatchable. It is painfully obvious watching these films that Disney's corporate suits had no plan whatsoever for the overarching plot of the series; they simply threw together a series of disconnected scenes and hoped that they would meet the low bar for fan service. None of the logic in these movies coheres because there is essentially no story to them.

Gladiator: To discuss it is to overrate it.

Moonlight: A poorly conceived drama about a gay black kid that managed to win an Oscar through pure white liberal guilt. The main character in this movie is a blank slate. He has no personality aside from being a victim, and this is not enough for him to carry the entire movie on his back. The "seamless" performances by the three actors who play him succeed because they hardly need to act in order to depict this character.

The Oscar Bait Biopic """True Stories""":  The Theory of Everything. Bohemian Rhapsody. The Imitation Game. Hidden Figures. The Dig. Trumbo. On the Basis of Sex. Loving. Mr Turner. Darkest Hour. All the Money in the World. A United Kingdom. Ford v Ferrari. Selma. The Professor and the Madman. The Post. Florence Foster Jenkins. If you've seen one of them, you've seen them all. None of them are worth anyone's time.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 03:30:36 PM »

TulsiGabbardStan, guys.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 03:33:31 PM »

All Nightmare on Elm Street & Halloween movies (apart from the respective first movie). Repetitive overuse of cliché horror elements.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 04:39:57 PM »

The most overrated film I remember watching is probably Bohemian Rhapsody. Nice inoffensive film whose only use is being a Freddie Mercury biopic and attracting Queen fans. I don't know how it got 4 Academy Awards.

Since we are here, when will the John Dule 100 Favourite Films Thread come back?
TulsiGabbardStan
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 05:33:36 PM »

The Dark Knight: One truly great performance amidst a muddled, messy plot and generally poor acting otherwise. The dialogue is stilted, and Nolan (as usual) cares more about constructing elaborate and memorable set pieces than character development.

The Matrix: Its revolutionary special effects are aging poorly, and this is making people realize that the rest of the movie just isn't that special. However, the movie is still much better than its sequels, which people hated even at the time.

ET: An unrelentingly sappy, heartstring-tugging Spielberg love-fest that pales in comparison to Close Encounters. While its impact on pop culture can't be denied, it doesn't seem to be standing the test of time in the way that (for example) Raiders of the Lost Ark has. I know of very few people who would count it among their favorite films today.

Hugo: Arguably Martin Scorsese's worst directorial effort, with a whopping 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. This movie is colossally predictable; it borrows heavily from better films that deal with the same subject matter, and its visual effects are more distracting than groundbreaking.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: An ADHD mishmash for man-children, assembled from disconnected plotlines featuring Nazis, aliens, Norse gods, billionaire inventors, mad scientists, and mutants. Tonally inconsistent from beginning to end. The few decent films in the series are the standalone adventures, which at least have a semblance of continuity. The big Avengers movies, however, are impossible-to-follow clusterf**ks of ugly, cluttered CGI bodies flailing around the screen. Age of Ultron is the worst entry in the series, but Black Panther gets a special shoutout as "most overrated" because of the morons who see it as some kind of civil rights milestone.

The Harry Potter series: While I defend the books as a shining example of children's literature, these movies are quite terrible. The child actors simply aren't believable; Emma Watson is a terrible actress, which is probably why she has begun to abandon that career path in favor of activism. The bright moments are mostly from Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith, but they cannot save these films from being sterile reproductions of much better original stories.

Disney Wars: There are maybe two truly great Star Wars films, as well as two others that are fun to watch just for so-bad-it's-good purposes. The Disney trilogy and Rogue One, however, are truly unwatchable. It is painfully obvious watching these films that Disney's corporate suits had no plan whatsoever for the overarching plot of the series; they simply threw together a series of disconnected scenes and hoped that they would meet the low bar for fan service. None of the logic in these movies coheres because there is essentially no story to them.

Gladiator: To discuss it is to overrate it.

Moonlight: A poorly conceived drama about a gay black kid that managed to win an Oscar through pure white liberal guilt. The main character in this movie is a blank slate. He has no personality aside from being a victim, and this is not enough for him to carry the entire movie on his back. The "seamless" performances by the three actors who play him succeed because they hardly need to act in order to depict this character.

The Oscar Bait Biopic """True Stories""": The Theory of Everything. Bohemian Rhapsody. The Imitation Game. Hidden Figures. The Dig. Trumbo. On the Basis of Sex. Loving. Mr Turner. Darkest Hour. All the Money in the World. A United Kingdom. Ford v Ferrari. Selma. The Professor and the Madman. The Post. Florence Foster Jenkins. If you've seen one of them, you've seen them all. None of them are worth anyone's time.

I agree with pretty much nearly everything here. However, The Dark Knight is still atleast top 100 of all time, no matter how overrated it is.

Also, the Harry Potter books also suck. Not as much as the movies, but still.
TulsiGabbardStan
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 05:33:58 PM »

I like it philosophically but yeah, it’s aged sort of poorly.
TulsiGabbardStan
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 05:34:14 PM »

I've never seen Avatar, but I would say that Titanic is an excellent movie.

I’ve never finished Titanic.
TulsiGabbardStan
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 05:34:33 PM »

Still a great movie but yeah it’s overrated
TulsiGabbardStan
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 05:35:19 PM »

Deadpool: I made it about half way through and had to turn it off. The characters were unlikable, the humor felt soulless and manufactured, and I don't even remember what the plot or conflict were supposed to be. Maybe it gets better at the end, I don't know.

Bridge to Terabithia: This is mostly forgotten as far as I can tell, but the fact that this didn't go down as one of the worst high-budget movies of recent decades along with the likes of Battlefield Earth or Movie 43 still tells me it's still vastly overrated. I went to see this for a friend's birthday party and there were a grand sum total of two reactions from everyone in that theatre: crying or uproarious laughter. It was truly shocking as a member of the audience, even as a kid, to see how badly that movie handled the last half hour or so. If you want to watch a somewhat similar, but I believe very underrated movie, check out the Last Mimzy.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: I really don't see why this has become part of the Holiday Canon. I don't think there's a single moment I laughed when watching it. It feels exactly like one of those sequels that are solely made because the last movie turned more of a profit than the execs were expecting and the actors didn't have anything else lined up. Very Pirates of the Caribbean 4. Then again, I'm also weird in that European Vacation is probably my favorite of the National Lampoon's Vacation movies.

Dead on with Deadpool. Unfunny, repetitive, bland, and it comes across as insulting to the audience’s intelligence
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 05:40:33 PM »

Bridge to Terabithia: This is mostly forgotten as far as I can tell, but the fact that this didn't go down as one of the worst high-budget movies of recent decades along with the likes of Battlefield Earth or Movie 43 still tells me it's still vastly overrated. I went to see this for a friend's birthday party and there were a grand sum total of two reactions from everyone in that theatre: crying or uproarious laughter. It was truly shocking as a member of the audience, even as a kid, to see how badly that movie handled the last half hour or so. If you want to watch a somewhat similar, but I believe very underrated movie, check out the Last Mimzy.

Absolutely agree with the last one. I was expecting a somewhat silly, but still laugh-out-loud film, but it was boring with very few funny moments.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2021, 07:41:09 PM »

Funny, I think "Titanic" and "Avatar" are in the top 100 films ever made.
Rosethecommie
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2021, 07:54:28 PM »

Star Wars
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 07:58:14 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2021, 08:18:39 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

This is tough for me since I have a lot but may not be able to recall all of them, so to help out I will be consulting IMDB's Top 250 list. Here we go!:

-The Dark Knight.
-Inception.
-Spirited Away.
-Interstellar (f***ing Nolan fans on this website!).
-The Prestige.
-Rear Window.
-Memento (just kidding! I actually like this Nolan movie).
-Joker.
-Singin' in the Rain.
-Taxi Driver.
-Heat.
-Green Book.
-Batman Begins (I'm not done yet!).
-Unforgiven.
-Howl's Moving Castle.
-Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.
-Raging Bull.
-Shutter Island.
-Chinatown.
-Gone with the Wind.
-The Deer Hunter.
-Catch Me If You Can.
-Cool Hand Luke.
-Platoon.
-Logan.
-The Help.

Movies that came to mind not on that list:
-American Honey.
-The French Connection.
-O Brother, Where Art Thou?
-Miller's Crossing.
-Burn After Reading.
-True Grit (both of them).
-The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (the first two vignettes are excellent though).
-The Magnificent Seven (the original).
-Kentucky Fried Movie.
-Christmas Vacation.
-Caddyshack.
-Hereditary.
-The Exorcist.
-Sophie's Choice.
-Cabaret.
-La La Land.
-First Man.
-Deadpool.
-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban as well as Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince-all the other movies are fine.
-Children of Men.
-Roma.
-Gravity.
-Hugo.
-The Irishman.
-Thor: Ragnarok.
-Jojo Rabbit.
-Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood.
-The Last Black Man in San Francisco.
-BlacKKKlansman.
-A Star is Born (the 2018 one).
-Drive.
-The Fifth Element.
-Lethal Weapon.
-Night of the Living Dead.
-Superbad.
-Anchorman.
-All of the Austin Powers Movies.
-Wayne's World.
-Manhattan.
-The Revanant.
-The Hangover.
-Easy Rider.
-Baby Driver.
-Call Me By Your Name.
-I Heart Huckabees.
-Silver Linings Playbook.
-American Hustle.
-Mud.
-Midnight Special.
-Snatch.
-Hell or High Water.
-Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi.
-Rosemary's Baby.
-Dunkirk (That's right, motherf***ers!).
-Darkest Hour.
-3:10 to Yuma.
-Dallas Buyer's Club.
-Beetlejuice.
-Edward Scissorhands.
-Sweeney Todd.
-Mystic River.
-Knocked Up.
- We Need to Talk About Kevin.
-Crash.
-The Blindside.
-Magnolia.
-The Princess Bride.
-Spanglish.
-Dazed and Confused.
-Michael Clayton.
-Midnight Cowboy.
-Glengarry Glen Ross.
-Scent of a Woman.
- Napoleon Dynamite.
-Being John Malkovich.
-Pineapple Express.
-Spring Breakers.
-The Disaster Artist.
-Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
-Clerks as well as pretty much any other Kevin Smith film that was well-received at the time.
-Blues Brothers.
-Happy Feet.
-Pitch Perfect.
-The Game.
-Winter's Bone
-The Goonies.
-Monster Squad.
-Elle.
-Escape from new York.
-The Warriors.
-Monster's Ball.
-You Were Never Really Here.
-District 9.
-Jerry McGuire.
-As Good as it Gets.

Yeah...there are a lot. I'm sure I'll think of more in the future but for now I think I pissed enough people off (especially Coen brothers, Alfonso Cuaron, Christopher Nolan, Guy Ritchie, and Studio Ghibli fans).

By the way, as you may have noticed, I went a bit further and made a distinction between films I have a seething hatred for (in bold) and those that I don't necessarily hate but have major problems with that cause me not to match the excitement and esteem that they typically get.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 08:45:49 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2021, 10:05:18 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I mostly agree with Dule here though will strongly disagree on The Dark Knight and have a soft spot for three of his listed Oscar Bait films (notably, The Imitation Game, because the fan fiction is just irresistible but I can just add Milk to your list). Obviously The Matrix and Moonlight are #1 and 2 most overrated, and I'm glad I don't have to watch Gladiator to feel as if I've missed something.

I almost want to give La La Land another chance, but everything about it was a complete miss so I probably won't.
I think The Favourite might be the only movie I've ever had to shut off for quality reasons, so while I wasn't a Green Book fan per se, I am definitely not sympathetic to the counterarguments. (Bohemian Rhapsody goes without saying...did anyone serious actually like that as a film??)

Pan's Labyrinth should be nowhere near a quality film list.
Wonder should not have an 8.0, not even close. The quality of writing is so incredibly poor and out of touch of what school children are that I fully expected a 6.0.
Office Space is a film that I've already given two chances to, and there is absolutely nothing funny in this film. It's not just an "outdated concept" either.

The ones listed below I also find egregiously and irredeemably bad films:
Her
Sideways
Caddyshack
Fried Green Tomatoes
All That Jazz
Bridesmaids
Revolutionary Road
The Breakfast Club
God's Own Country
Little Miss Sunshine
Law Abiding Citizen
Bood Diamond
Michael Clayton
(500) Days of Summer
Bull Durham
Jerry Maguire
Out of Africa
Le fabuleux destin d'Amelie Pulain

There is one other that I would like to list, but I'll refrain since it is universally beloved by everybody so I'll just not be smart enough to get it. (It's not Pulp Fiction which I would consider overrated but still an average film much like Casablanca, The Searchers and another that cannot be named on here.)

There are many others I could name, but one other "below average" one that I must point out: Mean Streets. How this could be a break-out film for anyone is incomprehensible in the current year. Completely uninteresting characters. No complexities about it all. I'm glad I'll be able to drop it from the top 20 Scorsese feature films I've seen later this year (presumably).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2021, 08:52:16 PM »

The Breakfast Club
Michael Clayton
(500) Days of Summer
I watch all of these at least once a year.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2021, 09:14:31 PM »

Good list, PP. Most of those films are pretty bad. The only ones I would take serious issue with are Taxi Driver, O Brother Where Art Thou, and Unforgiven. I'd also say that La La Land, while overrated and simplistic, features very clever and memorable music. I enjoy playing it on the piano to this day. There are a lot of films on this list that I think are good, but most of them aren't particularly memorable. Wayne's World, for example, is a fun movie to watch but it isn't anywhere close to my Top 100 list.

I agree that Nolan's fans are obnoxious and his movies are not nearly as clever as people think they are. Inception is decent from a storytelling perspective, and probably my favorite film of his, but it also has absolutely no characterization whatsoever. I often forget that Tom Hardy and Gordon-Levitt are in that film because their characters have so little to do and they're so freaking boring.

Also, thank you for reminding me of Gravity. My God I detest that film. I was pretty excited for it coming out because I enjoyed Cuaron's Y Tu Mama Tambien, and the sole Harry Potter film he directed was easily the best of the bunch. However, it was nothing more than 90 minutes of Sandra Bulls**t flying from one space station to the next. The scene with Clooney holding on to the rope was unbelievably idiotic for any audience member with a third-grade understanding of how space works.

I should also add the filmography of Darren Aronofsky to my list. This man has made one pretentious turd after another, from Requiem for a Dream to The Fountain. Noah with Russell Crowe might be his worst film; it's a sloppy, visually repulsive adaptation of the Biblical story that (I can't believe I'm saying this) completely fails to do justice to the original myth.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2021, 09:41:55 PM »

- Deadpool (same reasons as Crumpets, essentially; never found it funny at all, and the plot was lost on me.)
- Forrest Gump (it's not a bad movie, and it has its place; I just don't think it's as good as people insist it is.)
- The Godfather (bore me to tears, and it insists upon itself.)
- Eat, Pray, Love (tbf the movie and book are mostly popular, and marketed toward, middle-aged women, but it's so materialistic that the message of discovering oneself is lost.)
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off (just never found it funny.)
- The Hangover series (ugh.)
- Step Brothers (ugh.)
- Anchorman (seriously, f#ck everything Will Ferrell's ever done.)
- Zoolander (not funny. also see above.)
- All the Austin Powers movies (just incredibly juvenile humor in general. also, f#ck everything Michael Myers has ever done.)
- The Avengers movies (with the exception of The Crow (which is one of my top three all-time favorite films) and Nolan's Batman movies, I just really hate superhero movies. this one just happens to be the most popular in memes.)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2021, 09:54:19 PM »

The Social Network. Awful movie.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length