SENATE RESOLUTION: Chinese Currency Manipulation Resolution (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:01:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE RESOLUTION: Chinese Currency Manipulation Resolution (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE RESOLUTION: Chinese Currency Manipulation Resolution (Passed)  (Read 1932 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: February 14, 2021, 05:31:50 AM »

I'm generally quite open to oppose China's actions; whether it's aggressive expansion against the waters of its neighbours, its poor labor conditions or it's treatment of the uyghurs- but on the specific issue of currency manipulation the consensus seems well unclear about whether china is meeting all of the criteria for manipulation.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 04:50:39 PM »

I'm generally quite open to oppose China's actions; whether it's aggressive expansion against the waters of its neighbours, its poor labor conditions or it's treatment of the uyghurs- but on the specific issue of currency manipulation the consensus seems well unclear about whether china is meeting all of the criteria for manipulation.

Could you detail some of the criteria that they do not meet?

I'm not sure if the ban on quoting articles still exists but it was laregly drawn from here.

https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/china-manipulating-its-currency

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/09/imf-report-trump-currency-manipulation-1653096

I appreciate this is a different scenario though- I'd be happy with either going through the GM for more info, or passing something relating to the State Department to investigate this.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 04:17:36 PM »

I often go for the most obscure reference I can get for bill titles so I might not be the best person to ask.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 04:19:26 PM »

SENATE RESOLUTION

To condemn the People's Republic of China in its currency manipulation and subversive actions in the Asia Pacific region

Senate Resolution: To condemn the trade policies and territorial expansion by the Peoples Republic of China.

Be it Resolved in both Houses of Congress Assembled,

Section 1. Background

In flagrant violation of international law, the People's Republic of China has taken a series of actions that involve uses of force to instigate retaliation between its neighbors such as India. If no action is taken on the part of Atlasia, the two countries will be set on a path toward war. The purpose of this resolution is to condemn China's practices and tactics as it relates to their un-quenched desire for territorial expansion at the expense of the rest of the world.

As it relates to currency manipulation, China is able to set the value of its currency as it sees fit as it possesses a centrally-planned economy. This provides an unfair advantage to the People's Republic of China because the value of other nations' currency continues to fluctuate. By lowering the value of their currency, China gains an unfair advantage. While steps have been taken in recent years, the Republic of Atlasia shall monitor this activity closely to regain an international trade balance.

Section 2. Definition
1. Salami slicing practices entail using subversive tactics to expand their territorial claims by being the aggressor and then claiming self-defense when another nation retaliates.

Section 2. Adoption
1. The passage of this resolution will create a watch-list and add China as a member country
2. Upon passage, The Republic of Atlasia will officially condemn China's "salami-slicing" practices in Asia.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 06:48:11 PM »

Any further thoughts on this from anybody or are we happy to move to a final vote soon?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 04:41:44 PM »

A final vote is now open on this bill.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom