SENATE RESOLUTION: Chinese Currency Manipulation Resolution (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:07:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE RESOLUTION: Chinese Currency Manipulation Resolution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE RESOLUTION: Chinese Currency Manipulation Resolution (Passed)  (Read 1904 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2021, 02:58:57 AM »
« edited: March 24, 2021, 10:28:38 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE RESOLUTION
To condemn the People's Republic of China in its currency manipulation and subversive actions in the Asia Pacific region

Be it Resolved in both Houses of Congress Assembled,

Section 1. Background

In flagrant violation of international law, the People's Republic of China has taken a series of actions that involve uses of force to instigate retaliation between its neighbors such as India. If no action is taken on the part of Atlasia, the two countries will be set on a path toward war. The purpose of this resolution is to condemn China's practices and tactics as it relates to their un-quenched desire for territorial expansion at the expense of the rest of the world.

As it relates to currency manipulation, China is able to set the value of its currency as it sees fit as it possesses a centrally-planned economy. This provides an unfair advantage to the People's Republic of China because the value of other nations' currency continues to fluctuate. By lowering the value of their currency, China gains an unfair advantage. While steps have been taken in recent years, the Republic of Atlasia shall monitor this activity closely to regain an international trade balance.

Section 2. Adoption
1. The passage of this resolution will create a watch-list and add China as a member country
2. Upon passage, The Republic of Atlasia will officially condemn China's "salami-slicing" practices in Asia.

Sponsor: Spark
Senate Designation: SB28:13
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 07:02:14 AM »

I remember in real life former president Trump making this exact claim (and passing similar stuff). How true was Trump's claim irl and to what extent does it apply to Atlasia? (China is definitely weaker in Atlasia's unverse after all)
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 12:29:15 PM »

As the sponsor of this resolution, I believe it is in the interest of our land to set an example for upholding the standards of international law and conduct. That China's behavior is lacking in this instance, and to preserve territorial integrity and freedoms worldwide.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 02:14:44 AM »

While I would support similar legislation IRL, as tack said, this simply does not reflect the in-game circumstances of a severely weakened China. I would also add that this Congress passed a resolution last year condemning China for its human rights abuses and its placement on the UN Human Rights Council.

With respect to the sponsor, I'm motioning to table this resolution.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 04:24:56 PM »

Seconding the motion to table
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 04:30:32 PM »

A 48-hour period is declared on the motion to table. Two-thirds of voting senators (excluding abstentions) are needed to table.

Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 04:31:06 PM »

Aye
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 04:31:47 PM »

Nay
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 04:32:33 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 12:16:05 AM »

NAY

1. A weakened China on its own is not necessarily an assurance of non-engagement in such predatory practices. In fact you could argue they have more incentive to do so.

2. A resolution condemning human rights violations is not mutually exclusive to also going on the record in terms of trade practices.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 12:21:08 AM »

I remember in real life former president Trump making this exact claim (and passing similar stuff). How true was Trump's claim irl and to what extent does it apply to Atlasia? (China is definitely weaker in Atlasia's unverse after all)

Romney also pressed the issue in 2012 and 2008.

I seem to recall in 2012, Harry Reid was supportive of taking action here as well while Dean Heller opposed doing so, it wasn't as clean a partisan issue back then.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 02:05:48 PM »

I would like to be heard on the matter.

I believe it is imperative that we counteract and denounce these actions by China in Eastern Asia. If we fail to take an active role on the matter, who will? It does not matter about how a country appears to be, this resolution is concerned with the matters as they are. This is the People's Republic of China's total strategy, to put up a facade and then blame the defending country as the aggressor. It has been part of their tactics all along and it must end now.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 10:33:42 PM »

Vote on Motion to Table:

Aye (2): Devout Centrist and Scott
Nay (2): NC Yankee and Spark
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0): Tack and Blair.

Two thirds having not voted in the affirmative, the Resolution is not tabled.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 05:31:50 AM »

I'm generally quite open to oppose China's actions; whether it's aggressive expansion against the waters of its neighbours, its poor labor conditions or it's treatment of the uyghurs- but on the specific issue of currency manipulation the consensus seems well unclear about whether china is meeting all of the criteria for manipulation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 11:55:05 AM »

I'm generally quite open to oppose China's actions; whether it's aggressive expansion against the waters of its neighbours, its poor labor conditions or it's treatment of the uyghurs- but on the specific issue of currency manipulation the consensus seems well unclear about whether china is meeting all of the criteria for manipulation.

Could you detail some of the criteria that they do not meet?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 10:00:52 AM »

Not a member anymore, but, once again, I authored (well, really borrowed) a resolution condemning China for its human rights violations. My resolution went a step further and also condemned the UN for appointing China to the HRC.

But I think with regard to currency manipulation, we need some clarification from the GM or Secretary of State as to whether that is happening. Based on talks with the Secretary of State, my understanding is that we are trying to use religious tolerance as a bargaining chip.

And now that I think of it, passing that resolution may very well have cost us that bargaining chip. But the UN deserves a fair share of the blame for appointing them in the first place and further compromising their own credibility.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 12:14:06 PM »

Not a member anymore, but, once again, I authored (well, really borrowed) a resolution condemning China for its human rights violations. My resolution went a step further and also condemned the UN for appointing China to the HRC.

But I think with regard to currency manipulation, we need some clarification from the GM or Secretary of State as to whether that is happening. Based on talks with the Secretary of State, my understanding is that we are trying to use religious tolerance as a bargaining chip.

And now that I think of it, passing that resolution may very well have cost us that bargaining chip. But the UN deserves a fair share of the blame for appointing them in the first place and further compromising their own credibility.

You don't need to state the obvious Scott or ask permission. You are free to post in here anytime. I am not Polnut.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 04:50:39 PM »

I'm not sure if the ban on quoting articles still exists but it was laregly drawn from here.

https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/china-manipulating-its-currency

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/09/imf-report-trump-currency-manipulation-1653096

I appreciate this is a different scenario though- I'd be happy with either going through the GM for more info, or passing something relating to the State Department to investigate this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 10:54:09 PM »

I'm not sure if the ban on quoting articles still exists but it was laregly drawn from here.

https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/china-manipulating-its-currency

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/09/imf-report-trump-currency-manipulation-1653096

I appreciate this is a different scenario though- I'd be happy with either going through the GM for more info, or passing something relating to the State Department to investigate this.

I am going to have to switch to the other computer to view these. Doubt XP will open them.

Also I thought it was just a limit on article length of quoting, when did a complete ban go into effect?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 07:28:35 PM »

Forgot to check those, will seek to tonight.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2021, 12:32:40 AM »

Having read the articles it does make a compelling case against manipulation having occurred at least in recent times.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2021, 12:09:05 PM »

Reading those articles I get to the opposite conclusion to Yankee, which adding to the fact that China in Atlasia's timeline is a weaker candidate makes me lean against the bill, though I am still undecided.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 03:35:29 AM »

Reading those articles I get to the opposite conclusion to Yankee, which adding to the fact that China in Atlasia's timeline is a weaker candidate makes me lean against the bill, though I am still undecided.

Explain.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 04:13:39 AM »

Explain.
The articles, in particular the 2nd one, seem fairly clear to me in saying China is not a manipulator?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2021, 04:23:01 AM »

Explain.
The articles, in particular the 2nd one, seem fairly clear to me in saying China is not a manipulator?

But that is what I also said.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies