AL-SEN: Shelby retiring (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:14:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-SEN: Shelby retiring (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AL-SEN: Shelby retiring  (Read 21980 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: February 05, 2021, 07:33:55 PM »

After suffering a humiliating 20+ pt. loss to Tommy Tuberville in 2020, Sessions' political career is over, and Trump almost certainly would support an opponent if he did decide to run again. Moreover, I think Sessions himself is tired and is no longer interested in launching another bid for public office.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 09:41:11 PM »

Brooks considering:

It would be an immense downgrade if Brooks were to succeed Shelby, comparable to, and perhaps even worse than, the downgrade we experienced when Jones was succeeded by Tuberville.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 01:09:23 PM »

She seems nice enough, not really very impressive though. I hope she beats Mo Brooks in the primary

I would hope so also, but I don't think so. Brooks has the Trump endorsement, and the Republican base tends to value ideological rigidity above all else.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:15:23 AM »

Shelby endorsed Britt.

So i guess we will see whose endorsement matters more.

I’d love to be wrong, but pretty sure it will be the cult leader’s.

Shelby, if I recall, also supported Sessions, and we saw what happened with him. I don't think he will be of much help to Britt, unfortunately. That seat will go to Brooks.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 11:14:33 AM »

I wonder how much she is going to lose by. Is it more or less likely that she loses by double digits?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »

Mo Brooks statement

Pathetic, not to mention dangerous. In any other country, he'd be forced to step down.
Is this modern Republican party's twitter version of "extremism in the defense of liberty, is no vice"?

The irony is that Goldwater himself, if he were alive today, probably would have been a "Never Trumper" and left the Party in the manner that the likes of people such as Bill Kristol, Jennifer Rubin, and George Will did.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 10:05:01 PM »

They were probably brought on board by Shelby, who obviously has close relationships with many of his colleagues.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »

Still a long time until the Alabama primary, and Trump has yet to campaign for Brooks (which he 100% WILL). Safe Brooks.

If Mo Brooks doesn't win his primary (absent some unforeseen scandal which damages Brooks), I will quit this forum forever. Yeah I'm doing the thing.

The brazen chamber of commerce shill Katie Britt must not be allowed to get into elected office. I will vote democrat if she somehow wins the GOP nomination.

Why would Brooks be a better Senator than Britt?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 01:27:26 PM »

Still a long time until the Alabama primary, and Trump has yet to campaign for Brooks (which he 100% WILL). Safe Brooks.

If Mo Brooks doesn't win his primary (absent some unforeseen scandal which damages Brooks), I will quit this forum forever. Yeah I'm doing the thing.

The brazen chamber of commerce shill Katie Britt must not be allowed to get into elected office. I will vote democrat if she somehow wins the GOP nomination.

He is not a glorified hussy and open borders advocate who was handpicked to be the successor of a RINO who has been in federal office for like 50 years.

You say that Shelby is a RINO? He's been a loyal party-line vote for Republicans.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 01:34:06 PM »

He is not a glorified hussy and open borders advocate who was handpicked to be the successor of a RINO who has been in federal office for like 50 years.

You say that Shelby is a RINO? He's been a loyal party-line vote for Republicans.

No he has not been. He is not a conservative. The only credit to his name is that he has prostitued his vote out big interests to "bring back the bacon" to Alabama. Sorry, I care more about politicians who can deliver on things that matter and not just suck off the federal teats.

Shelby voted against both of Trump's impeachments, voted for the tax cuts, voted for all of Trump's judicial appointees, and voted for the Obamacare repeal. Those are all party-line Republican positions. But because he is a "pork barreler", he is a RINO? That doesn't entirely make sense to me.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 01:38:20 PM »

No he has not been. He is not a conservative. The only credit to his name is that he has prostitued his vote out big interests to "bring back the bacon" to Alabama. Sorry, I care more about politicians who can deliver on things that matter and not just suck off the federal teats.

Shelby voted against both of Trump's impeachments, voted for the tax cuts, voted for all of Trump's judicial appointees, and voted for the Obamacare repeal. Those are all party-line Republican positions. But because he is a "pork barreler", he is a RINO? That doesn't entirely make sense to me.

How many Obama and Biden judges did he vote for? Tax cuts are neoliberal, not conservative. Voting against a contrived sham impeachment is not impressive... at all.

Trump promoted and signed the tax cuts into law. And as far as I know, Biden's judicial nominees have been confirmed with only a few crossover Republican votes.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 07:57:23 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/alabama-senate-trump/2021/12/18/4363b67e-5e87-11ec-8665-aed48580f911_story.html

Trump is reportedly mad that Brooks is running a lackluster campaign and has failed to put the race away. Plus he was actually impressed when he met Britt and her husband (a former Bama football star who later played for the Pats).

I wouldn't put it past Trump if he decides to switch his endorsement to Britt. Trump likes to align himself with "winners", and Britt, like Shelby, is supportive of him and won't work against him.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 06:37:39 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/alabama-senate-trump/2021/12/18/4363b67e-5e87-11ec-8665-aed48580f911_story.html

Trump is reportedly mad that Brooks is running a lackluster campaign and has failed to put the race away. Plus he was actually impressed when he met Britt and her husband (a former Bama football star who later played for the Pats).

I wouldn't put it past Trump if he decides to switch his endorsement to Britt. Trump likes to align himself with "winners", and Britt, like Shelby, is supportive of him and won't work against him.

But does it really matter who Trump endorses? We are talking about the home state of Luther Strange, you know. And to quote Romney for the tenth time or so, endorsements are not "worth a thimble of spit."

I'm not saying that an endorsement determines all, but Britt clearly has been running a better campaign than Brooks and seems to have impressed Trump personally.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 12:29:08 PM »

Uhhh:

If true, this is not surprising. Britt clearly has the support of the Republican establishment, has raised a considerable amount of money, and isn't taking things for granted. Moreover, she is telegenic and far more personable than Brooks, and her relative youth also works in her favor. Trump himself likes to be linked to "winners" and he is apparently getting increasingly unsatisfied about Brooks.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 07:55:44 PM »

Britt raises over 3 times as much as Brooks in Quarter 4

Britt seems to be gaining the upper hand over Brooks.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2022, 02:01:49 PM »

Who should win the primary, Britt or Durant?

I'd say Britt, who is a Generic Establishment Republican, similar to Shelby, her former boss and mentor. She's probably the best we can get from Alabama.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies