AL-SEN: Shelby retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:33:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-SEN: Shelby retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Author Topic: AL-SEN: Shelby retiring  (Read 21972 times)
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2021, 02:32:08 PM »

Without Jones & Shelby, AL set to have the worst representation of all the states. Glad I got outta there! They deserve Moo Brooks & Ray Moore that’s for sure. Glad they’re set to be losing an electoral vote too lma0
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2021, 04:01:49 AM »

Without Jones & Shelby, AL set to have the worst representation of all the states. Glad I got outta there! They deserve Moo Brooks & Ray Moore that’s for sure. Glad they’re set to be losing an electoral vote too lma0

New census numbers show it's not a sure thing.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2021, 11:23:03 AM »

Dammit!
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2021, 12:17:22 PM »

What happened?
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2021, 06:08:34 AM »

What happened?

New York has suffered some large population loss and could lose two seats rather than just one.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2021, 01:45:39 PM »

Having both Jones and Shelby replaced in two years is the best thing to happen to AL in decades.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2021, 12:15:29 PM »

LOL
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2021, 12:35:35 PM »

LOL

If she's serious, she knows she's DOA and is doing it because she's bored of being in the House.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2021, 01:06:38 PM »

LOL

If she's serious, she knows she's DOA and is doing it because she's bored of being in the House.

Or trying to increase her profile for some unknown reason, maybe to join the Biden administration.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2021, 05:37:26 PM »

LOL

LOL, it would be a kamikaze mission.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2021, 05:38:53 PM »

LOL

S T R O N G C A N D I D A T E
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2021, 05:43:05 PM »

LOL

The problem I have with that analogy is that kamikazes did succeed in wreaking havoc on the U.S. Navy.  It wasn't just a suicide mission that resulted in the plane being shot down harmlessly over open water.  They did real damage to their targets.  So how does that translate to the political sphere?  
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2021, 05:53:12 PM »

LOL

The problem I have with that analogy is that kamikazes did succeed in wreaking havoc on the U.S. Navy.  It wasn't just a suicide mission that resulted in the plane being shot down harmlessly over open water.  They did real damage to their targets.  So how does that translate to the political sphere?  

Kamikazes were not that effective to be honest. Barely 1/5 of the Kamikazes even hit a ship.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2021, 05:57:49 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2021, 09:51:27 PM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

LOL

Kamikazes were not that effective to be honest. Barely 1/5 of the Kamikazes even hit a ship.

They still sank 34 ships, damaged 368 others, and caused nearly 10,000 casualties, according to the U.S. Air Force:

Although not often thought of as a precision weapon, the various Kamikaze attackers that first appeared in the fall of 1944 functioned much like modern antishipping missiles, and thus can legitimately be considered a part of the precision weapon story. The Kamikaze was the deadliest aerial antishipping threat faced by Allied surface warfare forces in the war. Approximately 2,800 Kamikaze attackers sunk 34 Navy ships, damaged 368 others, killed 4,900 sailors, and wounded over 4,800. Despite radar detection and cuing, airborne interception and attrition, and massive antiaircraft barrages, a distressing 14 percent of Kamikazes survived to score a hit on a ship; nearly 8.5 percent of all ships hit by Kamikazes sank. As soon as they appeared, then, Kamikazes revealed their power to force significant changes in Allied naval planning and operations, despite relatively small numbers. Clearly, like the antishipping cruise missile of a later era, the Kamikaze had the potential to influence events all out of proportion to its actual strength.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2021, 05:59:29 PM »

LOL

Given the state of Japanese industry and war situation at that point in the conflict, Kamikazes absolutely made sense.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2021, 06:13:40 PM »

LOL

They still sank 34 ships, damaged 368 others, and caused nearly 8,000 casualties, according to the U.S. Air Force.

The numbers are subject to debate but it's generally estimated that Kamikazes killed between 4k and 7k Americans sailors, the Japanese on the other hand lost between 4k and 14k men.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2021, 07:56:14 PM »

LOL

They still sank 34 ships, damaged 368 others, and caused nearly 8,000 casualties, according to the U.S. Air Force.

The numbers are subject to debate but it's generally estimated that Kamikazes killed between 4k and 7k Americans sailors, the Japanese on the other hand lost between 4k and 14k men.

Here's a good video on the topic, he articulates the view better than I do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-GVSXy37Gc
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2021, 10:04:06 PM »

Glad you are gone!
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2021, 10:08:39 PM »

Glad you are gone!

I’m taking my electoral vote elsewhere lel
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2021, 12:22:01 AM »

LOL

Being a blue in a red state there’s about three reasons someone runs. Either they’re delusional, they’re retiring with a bang, or they’re auditioning for a high office. Likely one of the latter two in her case. I like Sewell, she’s smart and educated just got bad luck of being in the wrong state. Maybe she’ll find her way into Biden’s cabinet in a few years.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2021, 12:31:08 AM »

They still sank 34 ships, damaged 368 others, and caused nearly 10,000 casualties, according to the U.S. Air Force:

Although not often thought of as a precision weapon, the various Kamikaze attackers that first appeared in the fall of 1944 functioned much like modern antishipping missiles, and thus can legitimately be considered a part of the precision weapon story. The Kamikaze was the deadliest aerial antishipping threat faced by Allied surface warfare forces in the war. Approximately 2,800 Kamikaze attackers sunk 34 Navy ships, damaged 368 others, killed 4,900 sailors, and wounded over 4,800. Despite radar detection and cuing, airborne interception and attrition, and massive antiaircraft barrages, a distressing 14 percent of Kamikazes survived to score a hit on a ship; nearly 8.5 percent of all ships hit by Kamikazes sank. As soon as they appeared, then, Kamikazes revealed their power to force significant changes in Allied naval planning and operations, despite relatively small numbers. Clearly, like the antishipping cruise missile of a later era, the Kamikaze had the potential to influence events all out of proportion to its actual strength.
1.19% accuracy. If you invented a gun that worked that often, you’d have the worst gun in the world.

The real problem is that the Japanese had no clue it wasn’t working because nobody could report back on how well suicide missions did.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2021, 01:05:27 PM »

I think it’s hilarious Sewell’s chances are discussed like a failed war strategy here. What if she goes up against Moore or another turd-tier candidate? Her chances are going to be better than Jones without having Trump on the ballot. Safe R with the slight possibility of being Likely R imo
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2021, 01:11:33 PM »

I think it’s hilarious Sewell’s chances are discussed like a failed war strategy here. What if she goes up against Moore or another turd-tier candidate?

She almost certainly still loses because it's a Biden midterm with the associated turnout patterns for other row officers and because polarisation is likely to be stronger than it was in the 2017 special election.

The population of oldschool New Deal Democrats was small then but potentially large enough to decide the race. It's smaller now.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2021, 01:14:19 PM »

I think it’s hilarious Sewell’s chances are discussed like a failed war strategy here. What if she goes up against Moore or another turd-tier candidate? Her chances are going to be better than Jones without having Trump on the ballot. Safe R with the slight possibility of being Likely R imo

Sure, because we all know that Alabama is a dem leaning state when Trump is not on the ballot.

You should take a look at how the (relatively) serious 2018 dem gubernatorial candidate fared. Sewell is a liberal democrat without any appeal outside of black voters and she would lose by +25 points in what will likely be a red leaning year anyway.

As for Moore, the dude got 7% in the primary in 2020 I think you can rule him out.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2021, 06:49:29 AM »

Even Moore would've won in 2018.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies