2008: Al Gore/Joe Biden vs. John McCain/Joe Lieberman (no stock market crash)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:58:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: Al Gore/Joe Biden vs. John McCain/Joe Lieberman (no stock market crash)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008: Al Gore/Joe Biden vs. John McCain/Joe Lieberman (no stock market crash)  (Read 393 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2021, 06:37:45 AM »

Stock market crash doesn't happen before the election and Al Gore runs again for president. He defeats Hillary for the nomination while Obama sits the election, eying a gubernatorial bid in 2010. Al Gore picks Joe Biden as running mate while John McCain resists pressure from the right and goes with Joe Lieberman, who was once Gore's running mate. What happens?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 07:56:19 AM »

I think Gore/Biden wins. However, given both the lack of economic stress, and the media chatter about McCain's experienced, bipartisan ticket, it's close than in the real election, more like 2004 than 2008.

Something vaguely like this:

Obama overperformed in the Midwest, so I could see Gore-Biden targeting the South instead, deploying a strategy closer to the one used by Clinton and Bush.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 11:04:13 PM »

Tilt Gore. Even outside the crash Bush's unpopularity still would've been a problem.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 05:56:16 AM »

Tilt Gore. Even outside the crash Bush's unpopularity still would've been a problem.

Mostly because of Iraq, it seems. However, even a popular two term president doesn't automatically translate into a victory of his party's nominee. See Eisenhower, Clinton and Obama, who were all solid above water on the eve of the election to pick their successors. 1988 is sort of an exception, though I think even that one was winnable if Democrats chose a better candidate than Dukakis.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 06:40:23 PM »

Mostly because of Iraq, it seems. However, even a popular two term president doesn't automatically translate into a victory of his party's nominee. See Eisenhower, Clinton and Obama, who were all solid above water on the eve of the election to pick their successors. 1988 is sort of an exception, though I think even that one was winnable if Democrats chose a better candidate than Dukakis.

The Democrats could have won in 1988. However, I think their field that year was fairly poor. Gephardt or Gore would have done better but would have still lost imo.

If Bush isn't the nominee then I think the Democrats are probably favoured to win even with Dukakis, as A) Bush was clearly the strongest candidate the GOP had and B) if the incumbent VP is losing the primary, bar exceptional circumstances, that means the party is probably in trouble
ale62
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 12:19:10 PM »

I am sure that Gore/Biden will wins.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies