Texas 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:26:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 44
Poll
Question: Current gubernatorial rating?
Safe R

Likely R

Lean R

Tossup/tilt R

Tossup/tilt D

Lean D

Likely D

Safe D

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 245

Author Topic: Texas 2022 megathread  (Read 63413 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: November 15, 2021, 11:19:15 AM »

I agree with you for once lol
Southern Reactionary Dem
SouthernReactionaryDem
Rookie
United States

« Reply #326 on: November 15, 2021, 11:22:01 AM »

Abbott will easily win over perennial candidate O'Rourke by double digits.

This. I think the TX Democrats will regret trotting this guy out there again, especially after he let the mask slip on his second amendment views.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #327 on: November 15, 2021, 11:24:57 AM »

The most interesting thing about this race (other than the RGV/South TX & Hispanic trends) will be whether Abbott wins by a narrower margin than DeSantis and whether this marks the beginning of a long-term shift in which TX becomes less Republican than FL both in terms of likelihood and margin (unfortunately, there’s no Senate race in TX in 2022 to compare to FL). I’m expecting Abbott to win by high single digits, but TX Republicans are very lucky that Trump lost in 2020.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #328 on: November 15, 2021, 11:33:21 AM »

Lmao! Safe R, Abbott +17

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #329 on: November 15, 2021, 11:37:48 AM »

McConaughey needs to run as a Dem/Independent or this is a guaranteed loss.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #330 on: November 15, 2021, 12:18:16 PM »

McConaughey needs to run as a Dem/Independent or this is a guaranteed loss.

He's not running he gave a boost to Beto campaign
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #331 on: November 15, 2021, 12:38:38 PM »

Third time's a charm?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #332 on: November 15, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »

Either this is an audition for a Biden Cabinet post, or he's really badly advised. Running in 2022 but not 2020 is electoral suicide.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #333 on: November 15, 2021, 12:43:10 PM »

Terrible announcement video. Why would you mention job creation when it has to be Abbott's #1 thing to run on? And your "big vision" alternative is legalizing marijuana???

He almost convinced me that Abbott is a better choice!
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #334 on: November 15, 2021, 12:51:17 PM »

Yeah, O'Rourke is just becoming a perennial candidate. McConaughey would be far better
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #335 on: November 15, 2021, 01:24:07 PM »

Why do users think McCounghey is gonna run Abbott is the clear Fav since Biden border policy has made this a 304 EC map, you see how Demings is doing in a border crisis and she reminds voters of Harris she is 12 pts down

We have a pro immigrant Gov I'm Newsom and he is poor
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #336 on: November 15, 2021, 01:53:25 PM »

God speed you brave fool
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #337 on: November 15, 2021, 02:38:27 PM »

Yeah, O'Rourke is just becoming a perennial candidate. McConaughey would be far better
At what point does this occur? Like seeing descriptions of John James as a perennial candidate just seems wrong. He's not running for random seats whenever possible, it was only two times. It seems the same for Robert here, with him having made one close af race, his god awful "just made for it" presidential campaign, and now this run for governor. Does the prez race really turn him into a perennial candidate?
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #338 on: November 15, 2021, 04:46:00 PM »

Beta O'Rourke will only hurt the Texas Democratic Party.

Only question is R+10 or R+15?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #339 on: November 15, 2021, 04:57:52 PM »

The most interesting thing about this race (other than the RGV/South TX & Hispanic trends) will be whether Abbott wins by a narrower margin than DeSantis and whether this marks the beginning of a long-term shift in which TX becomes less Republican than FL both in terms of likelihood and margin (unfortunately, there’s no Senate race in TX in 2022 to compare to FL). I’m expecting Abbott to win by high single digits, but TX Republicans are very lucky that Trump lost in 2020.

More or less where I am, I want to see if he can do better than Hillary, which would already be an improvement from Hegar's 2020 performance, also I want to see if the massive inroads that Democrats made in the suburbs from 2016-2020 will continue in a Republican leaning year. I do still think Republicans have more upside in TX than FL, and personally I don't expect that to reverse until either 2024-2028. Anyways let's just say if O'Rourke can do better than Hillary, that'd be a good sign, especially against a Republican not-named Trump, if he can match Biden (unlikely, but I guess could happen if trends accelerate or Abbott's issues weigh him down), that should send alarm bells at Ted Cruz HQ as well as the RNC, because that'd show a. Texas is trending D and it's not just b/c of Trump and b. It'd put in a range where it'd be very winnable for Dems in 2024, this will be an interesting race to watch, even if the outcome is (likely) decided, margins and swings are going to tell the real stories in this one.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #340 on: November 15, 2021, 06:31:54 PM »

Likely R

The only offices TXDP can pick up are LG and AG
PoliticsWatcher1
Rookie
« Reply #341 on: November 15, 2021, 06:59:30 PM »

Abbott is winning easily.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #342 on: November 15, 2021, 07:27:15 PM »

Well that's pretty much the race. With Beto now in, he's a shoe-in to the democratic nomination. I expect just about every high profile Texas democrat to endorse him for governor.

Abbott will most likely win his primary, but it will definitely be more competitive than the democratic primary (even if neither are really all that competitive in the first place). While Beto will likely win every county in his primary except for a few rural ones where no one votes in the dem primary, there's a chance that one of Abbott's challengers (likely Huffines and/or West) may win a few rural counties in the republican primary, though this won't change the fact that Abbott is most likely to win the primary.

As of right now, my prediction for the race is R+9-10. If this were a Trump midterm, Abbott would likely only hold on by around 5-6. Beto, due to his higher profile status, will almost certainly do a much better job at energizing voters than Lupe Valdez in 2018, not to mention this will highly likely become a nationalized race. It also helps Beto and the dems that there are multiple big issues to run on against Abbott and the republicans, most notably the power grid failure, abortion, guns, and voting rights. On the other hand, Abbott and the GOP have their own issues to energize their base on, most notably the economy, border crisis, medical freedom, oil and gas, and education/CRT. If we start seeing multiple scandals arise from schools in Texas, the latter issue will certainly help Abbott just like it did with Youngkin in Virginia this year.

Those are just my 2 cents for right now. Let me know what y'all think!
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #343 on: November 15, 2021, 07:34:41 PM »

I think it's gotta be worth more than two cents
Great analysis!

I'm surprised you didn't mention O'Rourke's unpopularity and extreme failure in polls, though
Do you expect that Democrat-leaners who may have been turned off by his comments may be forced into his lane due to polarization and nationalization, or will they look towards Abbott's relative moderate image (if he has one)?

Also, what do you expect to occur in the crucial counties of Tarrant, Collin, and Denton?
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #344 on: November 15, 2021, 07:37:42 PM »

Absolutely not a thing
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #345 on: November 15, 2021, 07:40:55 PM »

Well that's pretty much the race. With Beto now in, he's a shoe-in to the democratic nomination. I expect just about every high profile Texas democrat to endorse him for governor.

Abbott will most likely win his primary, but it will definitely be more competitive than the democratic primary (even if neither are really all that competitive in the first place). While Beto will likely win every county in his primary except for a few rural ones where no one votes in the dem primary, there's a chance that one of Abbott's challengers (likely Huffines and/or West) may win a few rural counties in the republican primary, though this won't change the fact that Abbott is most likely to win the primary.

As of right now, my prediction for the race is R+9-10. If this were a Trump midterm, Abbott would likely only hold on by around 5-6. Beto, due to his higher profile status, will almost certainly do a much better job at energizing voters than Lupe Valdez in 2018, not to mention this will highly likely become a nationalized race. It also helps Beto and the dems that there are multiple big issues to run on against Abbott and the republicans, most notably the power grid failure, abortion, guns, and voting rights. On the other hand, Abbott and the GOP have their own issues to energize their base on, most notably the economy, border crisis, medical freedom, oil and gas, and education/CRT. If we start seeing multiple scandals arise from schools in Texas, the latter issue will certainly help Abbott just like it did with Youngkin in Virginia this year.

Your flawed data is only correct if Biden Approvals stay exactly where they're at now, 41%, Beto is young he is a fresh face and Biden won't be at 41% on Nov 22 more like 50

If we go by Approvals a yr before Election Ted Strickland would have been reelected, he was leading Kaich in R2K polls in 2009

We won't know until Aug 22 what Biden Approvals are, users need to be patient and wait until campaign begins
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #346 on: November 15, 2021, 07:59:43 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2021, 08:06:01 PM by Lone Star Politics »

I think it's gotta be worth more than two cents
Great analysis!

I'm surprised you didn't mention O'Rourke's unpopularity and extreme failure in polls, though
Do you expect that Democrat-leaners who may have been turned off by his comments may be forced into his lane due to polarization and nationalization, or will they look towards Abbott's relative moderate image (if he has one)?

Also, what do you expect to occur in the crucial counties of Tarrant, Collin, and Denton?

All 3 are swinging dem from 2018, but won't vote as dem as they did in 2020, especially since statewide republicans do a lot better than Trump in Texas.

I'd expect Tarrant to be somewhere around R+7, Collin R+9, Denton R+13. Each of them could be a couple points more republican that I stated, but still close to that number.

To answer your other question, I think much of the stuff that went down this year (power grid, abortion bill, etc) has made Abbott a more polarizing figure than 2018. Yes, Beto's comments will hurt him, especially the "hell yes" and taxing churches gaffes from his presidential campaign. Yes, those said comments will be on every attack ad towards Beto this time. There are certainly gonna be some dems who may have been turned off by those comments who come back to him because the alternative is "mUh Texas Taliban." Although if Matthew McConaughey decides to step in as an independent, we could see many of those voters flock to him instead, making for a very interesting 3-way race.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #347 on: November 15, 2021, 09:00:17 PM »

What’s in it for Beto? Doesn’t this set him up worse for ‘24 than simply skipping this race? I don’t really get the strategy behind this decision.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #348 on: November 15, 2021, 09:14:16 PM »

What’s in it for Beto? Doesn’t this set him up worse for ‘24 than simply skipping this race? I don’t really get the strategy behind this decision.
I suspect he's in it because he thinks he can win.

To be fair, there is a path to victory- it's just narrow. Beto needs a combination of several factors such as- voters not being too enraged at his gun stance thanks to finding other issues more important; ability to attract the sorts of suburban voters who'd have gone for Youngkin in VA (e.g. clearly favouring parents having a say in education); most likely casting himself as a more independent-minded candidate so as to not make it a de facto referendum on Joe Biden; campaigning among and winning back Clinton-Trump Hispanic voters; finding attacks on Abbott that hit (whether it be the power grid or any future events that happen).

The one thing Beto has in his favour is populism and the campaigning ability- he certainly wouldn't neglect South Texas Hispanic voters in the way Biden did, for example.

Unfortunately for him there's still a pretty heavy trend against him- Dem midterm, somewhat tainted image with the gun comments, state is still generally Lean R for now, and he's less of a new/trendy figure now. I don't fancy his chances. But, there is a path (though narrow), and I absolutely expect him to be trying his hardest for it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #349 on: November 15, 2021, 09:33:31 PM »

Beto can win this race, we also have very competitive H be seats in TX, we can't go without a Gubernatorial election without having a nominee anyways or else Rs are gonna sweep the competetive H races

We also need VR to pass, we don't know what Manchin will do once all the Spending bills and Debt Ceiling is passed, that is the time to reform the Filibuster

We won't know if we won't try but  Conservatives thinking that Biden will be at 41% Approvals are fooling themselves
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies