is your favorite band active, and if so do you like the "new stuff"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:26:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  is your favorite band active, and if so do you like the "new stuff"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: is your favorite band active, and if so do you like the "new stuff"?
they are not active

no new stuff, but they still tour from time to time

some of them still tour

they are active but the new stuff is mostly garbage

they are active, their new stuff is hit and miss

they are active and their stuff is good

they are active and their stuff is as good as anything older they've done

my favorite band is new(ish)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: is your favorite band active, and if so do you like the "new stuff"?  (Read 596 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2021, 12:44:11 AM »

go
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 01:49:22 AM »

Well, Husker Du broke up in 1988, but Bob Mould has been very active ever since and while he went thru some "phases" that were hit and miss, his last 4 or 5 albums have been great and his current band is the best he's played with since Husker Du.

However, Husker Du had two two singer-songwriters and Grant Hart had drug and health issues that limited his output and success post Husker Du and he died in 2017. 

Hart and Mould didn't so much collaborate but instead alternated their songs, but it was a very powerful ying-yang thing they had going even though, or maybe because, they couldn't stand each other.  So, even though Mould is still at the top of his creative game, it can never match Husker Du.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 01:53:45 AM »

Radiohead. They tour and release an album every 4-5 years. I like everything they've done outside of Pablo Honey to varying degrees. Their most recent was their best since the 90's.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 01:57:08 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2021, 02:05:50 AM by Now We Are Free »

Sort of a mix of options 2, 5 and 6. They reunited a couple years ago and toured again and released a few new songs...but they're not even putting out full new albums. Like literally two new songs. One of which is pretty good even if it sounds more like a new band influenced by them instead of them:

The other of which I wouldn't call bad but is pretty subpar by their standards:

There's really only two bands I like that have been consistently putting out music for over two decades, and have all of their music be consistently good for that whole period: Superchunk and Buffalo Tom.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 02:03:45 AM »

Well, Husker Du broke up in 1988, but Bob Mould has been very active ever since and while he went thru some "phases" that were hit and miss, his last 4 or 5 albums have been great and his current band is the best he's played with since Husker Du.

However, Husker Du had two two singer-songwriters and Grant Hart had drug and health issues that limited his output and success post Husker Du and he died in 2017. 

Hart and Mould didn't so much collaborate but instead alternated their songs, but it was a very powerful ying-yang thing they had going even though, or maybe because, they couldn't stand each other.  So, even though Mould is still at the top of his creative game, it can never match Husker Du.

So fun story you might find interesting: I was once going with my parents to a Twins game they had a free extra ticket too and wore a Husker Du shirt for local pride purposes since I didn't have a Twins jersey. The doorman noticed it and said "Great shirt!"

Then when I was leaving and filing out of the stadium some gray haired guy also saw my shirt and said something like "Awesome shirt, awesome band!"

It was the ages of the commentators that I found most impressive.

BTW, opinion of this cover?

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 02:24:37 AM »

Is Husker Du the only good (English language) band with umlauts in their name?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 02:45:39 AM »

Yes still active. Like their new stuff? Ehhh. I don't hate it. (Band = Opeth)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 07:15:10 AM »

Tegan and Sara fall between a 5 and a 6. Their most recent album was easily their best since 2009. Their Christmas song was sweet and sappy.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 07:28:16 AM »

They are active and their new stuff continues to blow me away with each release
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 09:23:28 AM »

Metallica are obviously still active, and I think I have made my admiration for the album S&M2, which was published just last August, very very clear.

Pink Floyd are not active anymore, but I was old enough to follow when their last album The Endless River was published and the song Louder Than Words was passing on the radios, and I like it.

Although they're clearly below the first two, I'm going to mention Coldplay just because I can. I have not given much thought to their last album Everyday Life. It seems good and better than the immediately preceding stuff, but they were undeniably superior at the beginnings.

I answered in the poll using Metallica, so "they are active and their stuff is as good as anything older they've done".
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 11:32:18 AM »

So fun story you might find interesting: I was once going with my parents to a Twins game they had a free extra ticket too and wore a Husker Du shirt for local pride purposes since I didn't have a Twins jersey. The doorman noticed it and said "Great shirt!"

Then when I was leaving and filing out of the stadium some gray haired guy also saw my shirt and said something like "Awesome shirt, awesome band!"

It was the ages of the commentators that I found most impressive.

BTW, opinion of this cover?

The cover is fine, but they can't drive a song like Husker Du could and Husker had a very strong concept of melody and even harmony for a post-punk/pre-grunge band.  I mean they did write pop songs, they just played them differently.

As for the age of Husker Du fans, well, time does march on.  I know a lovely 70 year old lady who told me the story of going to see the Beatles play in New Orleans in 1964 when she was 15 year old girl screaming her head off as all the girls did then.

I only got to see Husker Du play once in 1987 in Dallas when I was 19 and they played their last album Warehouse from beginning to end live and that was it.    They were very good live but it was a little odd and some were disappointed that they didn't play anything else, but apparently Mould and Hart weren't even talking at that point so it was the best they could do.  And while they were in the underground scene in Minneapolis for a few years before they broke out, their recording output  really only went from 1983 to 1987 (5 albums two of them double plus the EP) a pretty narrow window to become a fan.  I'm sure every grunge musician heard Husker Du and I'm sure they were influential on them and Zen Arcade or New Day Rising will still pop up on all time album lists from time to time, but they probably will never be in the R&R HoF.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 11:40:18 AM »

Pearl Jam - yes. Freddie Mercury and Kurt Cobain are dead so no more music from their bands. Queen is still touring with Adam Lambert but they don't record, they just do covers of the old stuff.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 03:27:27 PM »

Music stopped being interesting the day John Bonham died.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 03:32:08 PM »

My favourite band changes every two weeks on average, but the one I go have gone back to the most often over the last few years is Cowboys Fringants, whose last album came out in 2019, and it was fantastic.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 06:19:06 PM »

Most of my favourite bands and artists are not active (some of them are even dead, like Tim Buckley or Nick Drake), but a few of of them are still around. Currently I am listening a lot of Greek rebetiko music from the 1930s; you can imagine that artists like Roza Eskenazi (a Sephardic Jew born in Constantinople who sang in Greek and Turkish) died years ago, too. Dead Can Dance is a band that I like
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 07:18:15 PM »

Battista basically said what needed to about Pinbk Floyd, and I concur.

So I'll pick another band: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. They are still active and their most recent album, "Ghosteen," was probably my favorite album of the three they released last decade. It's a lot different in being more ambient compared to their usual post-punk sort of stuff but is still thematically similar.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 11:28:19 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2021, 11:32:09 AM by SecularGlobalist »

Yes.   Nightmares on Wax ages like a fine Cabernet, and their latest album Shape the Future is outstanding.   No filler, straight no chaser.   It's surprising how downtempo isn't more popular.   In the US, at least.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 03:21:42 PM »

My favorite band split up right around the time they became my favorite band, lol Tongue
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 04:18:03 PM »

John and George are dead so no.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »