LC 10.1 Resolution Condemning Fast-Food Burger Restaurants (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:03:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 10.1 Resolution Condemning Fast-Food Burger Restaurants (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LC 10.1 Resolution Condemning Fast-Food Burger Restaurants  (Read 715 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« on: January 27, 2021, 11:48:27 PM »

So, Last Council we debated formally banning these types of places, or taxing them out of existence. After a healthy process that included a vote by the region, we decided not to take that action.

However, it remains clear that these places are ridiculously bad to eat at and that they are not healthy in any sense of the word. Therefore the Government should make it abundantly clear that they do not condone the practices of these restaurants by passing this resolution. This isn't a ban, and does not change policy or punish employees. It does however make a strong statement against fast food burgers.

I urge support.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 07:18:46 PM »

My concerns with this legislation is that it targets specific businesses, which represents interference by the government in a free market to help some businesses and specifically target these. Yes, it's only a resolution, but it will still have some impact. Why is something like "Steak N' Shake" exempt from this bill? The only way I see fit to do this is to issue generic statements against all fast food restaurants. Regardless on my position of regulating fast food, this current bill is a total nonstarter

The wording is "including but not limited to", so the resolution is not designed to be exclusive. If the Chancellor wishes to introduce an amendment adding additional restaurants to the resolution, however, I will not object.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »

I don't think "is the region going to get sued?" should be our primary consideration for any bill. We should be honored to defend our bills against legal challenges. 

That being said, the amendment is friendly.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 12:17:06 PM »

Unsure what is more ridiculous between Dwarven Dragon's proposal, IBNU's rebuttal, or the fact that the two now belong to the same party.

Also Dwarven Dragon did you really switch parties because you couldn't stand all your fellow Laborites dunking on you for your rambling crusade against fast foods?

While I will not discuss my exact reasoning in this setting at this time, my fast food crusade was not a factor in the decision.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 02:07:08 PM »

No Objection, and I look forward to any further related legislation the chancellor may craft
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 02:26:41 PM »

Based on the plans of the Chancellor, and to avoid creating unnecessary dissent:

Abstain
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies