LC 10.1 Resolution Condemning Fast-Food Burger Restaurants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:23:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 10.1 Resolution Condemning Fast-Food Burger Restaurants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LC 10.1 Resolution Condemning Fast-Food Burger Restaurants  (Read 678 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2021, 11:40:04 PM »

Resolution condemning Fast-Food Burger Restaurants

The Lincoln Council hereby:

- Recognizes that fast-food Burgers are typically made with grease, ingredients designed to add fat, and/or inordinately large amounts of toppings, and typically served with ridiculously unhealthy french fries.
- Recognizes that Restaurants, including but not limited to, McDonalds, Burger King, Five Guys, Wendy's, In-And-Out, and What-a-burger, that serve fast-food burgers serve little purpose other than to make people Obese.
- Hereby Condemns all such fast-food burger restaurants for being the biggest cause of obesity in the region, and urges the populace to never eat at such places.

Sponsor: Dwarven Dragon

Sponsor please advocate for your proposal
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 11:40:35 PM »

Really?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 11:48:27 PM »

So, Last Council we debated formally banning these types of places, or taxing them out of existence. After a healthy process that included a vote by the region, we decided not to take that action.

However, it remains clear that these places are ridiculously bad to eat at and that they are not healthy in any sense of the word. Therefore the Government should make it abundantly clear that they do not condone the practices of these restaurants by passing this resolution. This isn't a ban, and does not change policy or punish employees. It does however make a strong statement against fast food burgers.

I urge support.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 08:10:39 AM »

- Recognizes that fast-food Burgers are typically made with grease, ingredients designed to add fat, and/or inordinately large amounts of toppings, and typically served with ridiculously unhealthy french fries.
- Recognizes that Restaurants, including but not limited to, McDonalds, Burger King, Five Guys, Wendy's, In-And-Out, and What-a-burger, that serve fast-food burgers serve little purpose other than to make people Obese.
- Hereby Condemns all such fast-food burger restaurants for being the biggest cause of obesity in the region, and urges the populace to never eat at such places.

Sponsor: Dwarven Dragon

Sponsor please advocate for your proposal

This bill is one of the most draconian assaults on Lincon Culture and Heritage, the fast-food burger might be called gressy and low-class  by rich  eltietsts who think importing rare berries from thousands of miles away is better but for the good and hard working people of this region the burger is a vital part of our culture heritage.

I spent many a summer day in my childhood biking for kilometers across pleasant trails before recharging myself at these affordable establishments which were affordable with my meager earnings. Who is the goverment to tell people what they should or shouldn't eat ?. Franchies are one of the main routes to small business success in the region yet the labour government see's fit to attack them and criticize small busniess that is the berock of our economy under the guise of health.

I urge every councillor present to see the resolution for the piece of elitests nonsence that it is and vote against it.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 08:39:49 AM »

The Speakership views this as a non-serious proposal and to that effect will vote against it

There are ways to reduce obesity in Lincoln, this is an over pretentious waste of time
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 08:43:06 AM »

Do you seriously expect a different reaction to this every time you propose this Wulfric? Do you have any self-awarness at all?

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 11:46:46 AM »

the labour government see's fit to attack them
Oh, I'm afraid Wulfric is in your party, dear.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 07:15:36 PM »

My concerns with this legislation is that it targets specific businesses, which represents interference by the government in a free market to help some businesses and specifically target these. Yes, it's only a resolution, but it will still have some impact. Why is something like "Steak N' Shake" exempt from this bill? The only way I see fit to do this is to issue generic statements against all fast food restaurants. Regardless on my position of regulating fast food, this current bill is a total nonstarter
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 07:18:46 PM »

My concerns with this legislation is that it targets specific businesses, which represents interference by the government in a free market to help some businesses and specifically target these. Yes, it's only a resolution, but it will still have some impact. Why is something like "Steak N' Shake" exempt from this bill? The only way I see fit to do this is to issue generic statements against all fast food restaurants. Regardless on my position of regulating fast food, this current bill is a total nonstarter

The wording is "including but not limited to", so the resolution is not designed to be exclusive. If the Chancellor wishes to introduce an amendment adding additional restaurants to the resolution, however, I will not object.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 07:22:16 PM »

I still am undecided about this, but here's an amendment to ensure that the region doesn't get sued

- Recognizes that fast foodRestaurants, including but not limited to, McDonalds, Burger King, Five Guys, Wendy's, In-And-Out, and What-a-burger, that serve fast-food burgers serve little purpose other than to make people Obese.

On a second thought, I'm thinking we should retire this amendment and do something broader with regards to regulating agriculture, give me some time to think on this.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »

I don't think "is the region going to get sued?" should be our primary consideration for any bill. We should be honored to defend our bills against legal challenges. 

That being said, the amendment is friendly.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 07:26:13 PM »

I don't think "is the region going to get sued?" should be our primary consideration for any bill. We should be honored to defend our bills against legal challenges. 

June 2019 called. Tongue
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 08:02:46 PM »

This resolution is ridiculous; well-intentioned yes, but fundamentally unserious. I respect the sponsor's dedicated crusade against obesity, but it seems clear to me that this legislation is pointless from whatever standpoint one approaches it. If one is like the sponsor, that is to say, that one is inclined towards using government to change eating habits in hopes of preventing obesity, then this resolution is simply a toothless gesture. If one is more like myself, and therefore hesitant to insert government too directly in these matters, then the resolution is not only superfluous but also emblematic of an over-reliance on government solutions to solve social problems. Again, the Councillor is well-intentioned, but these repeated attempts to regulate restaurants into oblivion, or else to launch grand cultural crusades against them in the vain hope of dissuading the general public from eating at such establishments, have faced rejection by voters and Councillors alike. At some point, I should think, it would be in the best interests of the public that we seek to address this problem through other policy prescriptions if we are dead set on doing something about it.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 09:10:33 PM »

Anyways, I'm not going to sue the region over a non-binding resolution, but this is very dumb and y'all should be ashamed of yourselves if you vote to pass it.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 09:19:04 PM »

As this measure opposed by the majority of Council and is not serious, I move for this to be brought to a final vote

Without objection?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 07:31:10 AM »

Unsure what is more ridiculous between Dwarven Dragon's proposal, IBNU's rebuttal, or the fact that the two now belong to the same party.

Also Dwarven Dragon did you really switch parties because you couldn't stand all your fellow Laborites dunking on you for your rambling crusade against fast foods?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 12:00:40 PM »

I won't sign this if it passes btw. Don't waste your time.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 12:07:12 PM »

Unsure what is more ridiculous between Dwarven Dragon's proposal, IBNU's rebuttal, or the fact that the two now belong to the same party.

Also Dwarven Dragon did you really switch parties because you couldn't stand all your fellow Laborites dunking on you for your rambling crusade against fast foods?
Ohh this month's NPC elections are gonna be SO! FUN!
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 12:17:06 PM »

While I will not discuss my exact reasoning in this setting at this time, my fast food crusade was not a factor in the decision.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 12:23:14 PM »

I move to wave 72 hr requirement, so the Speaker can move for a vote, 24 hours to object

I plan to do something with this, but this bill is unworkable
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 02:07:08 PM »

No Objection, and I look forward to any further related legislation the chancellor may craft
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2021, 02:20:34 PM »

Without objection I will move this to a final vote

Nay
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 02:26:41 PM »

Based on the plans of the Chancellor, and to avoid creating unnecessary dissent:

Abstain
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2021, 03:43:15 PM »

Nay
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P