Is this scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian transphobic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:04:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is this scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian transphobic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian transphobic?  (Read 298 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2021, 07:00:06 PM »

And if so, should John Cleese be cancelled?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 07:10:15 PM »

John Cleese has revealed himself to be an ass over the past few years, and is one of my heroes that I'm glad I never met.

But as for the scene itself, it has clearly aged poorly though I admit to still laughing at it. Given the time though it might actually have been slightly progressive. But obviously Eric Idle's character is not a realistic portrayal of a trans person. Trans people know that even if they transition they will not be biologically transformed into the sex they are transitioning to. The most fundamental thing to understand about trans issues is the difference between sex (biological and assigned) and gender (which is societal).

I don't know, maybe I'm biased because I love Monty Python too much but I also don't want to be a hypocrite with how often I advocate for re-examining and re-contextualizing aspects of our culture.

Ironically, if there's anyone who probably hates this scene, it's John Cleese. I remember reading about how John Cleese actually feels embarrassed and bothered by how successful Monty Python was. He apparently hates their past work.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 11:57:41 PM »

Trans people know that even if they transition they will not be biologically transformed into the sex they are transitioning to.

"I'm the female gender, not the female sex" makes just about as much sense as "I'm the individual, not the person."
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 07:35:40 PM »

Trans people know that even if they transition they will not be biologically transformed into the sex they are transitioning to.

"I'm the female gender, not the female sex" makes just about as much sense as "I'm the individual, not the person."

I already explained the difference between gender and sex in my post. It is a very real difference that society is finally coming to terms with and why jokes like this were completely acceptable at the time and now may be a bit removed from where society has progressed to.

Though even with that in mind, transgenderism as a concept is actually much older with there being many instances of transvestites or transsexuals existing in past centuries. I would recommend watching Ed Wood's 'Glen or Glenda.' It's not a good movie at all but is fascinating in how ahead of its time it is and how in explaining trans issues almost makes it resemble a film today (maybe minus how bats*** crazy it gets at times) even as it was made in the 1950's.

I don't want to sound like I am speaking for the trans community though, some of whom post on this website. I would be curious to what they would have to say about this scene from the film.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies