Kentucky 2023 gubernatorial election megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:13:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kentucky 2023 gubernatorial election megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33
Poll
Question: Rate the 2023 Kentucky gubernatorial election
Safe D

Likely D

Lean D

Tossup/tilt D

Tossup/tilt R

Lean R

Likely R

Safe R

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 262

Author Topic: Kentucky 2023 gubernatorial election megathread  (Read 46416 times)
EastwoodS

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: November 07, 2023, 02:47:55 PM »

Jefferson is low too but they have more people
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #676 on: November 07, 2023, 03:01:06 PM »

Jefferson is low too but they have more people
How does Jefferson compare to rural? I know rural is bad for Cameron right now but if Jefferson is even lower Cameron could still be in the game.
ReallySuper
El Salvador

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: -7.39

« Reply #677 on: November 07, 2023, 03:08:05 PM »

this is right at what it was in 2019 in louisville (47.9%)

sec. of state predicts statewide turnout will be 42% (two points down from 2019)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #678 on: November 07, 2023, 03:10:43 PM »

Small sample size, but that looks good for Beshear and what he would need, versus all these Cameron counties seem below average.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #679 on: November 07, 2023, 03:23:51 PM »

Turnout looks really bad for Cameron. I could see Beshear winning by 5+, and have upped my prediction to Beshear +3.5.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #680 on: November 07, 2023, 03:25:49 PM »

Does turnout look bad for Cameron because he wasn't an inspiring candidate, the election itsself is not seen as important or these people are kind of resigned to Beshear, who hasn't enflamed much passion against him? I guess a combination of all of these. (However, not getting ahead of myself here, the election isn't over and Beshear isn't guaranteed to win yet).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #681 on: November 07, 2023, 03:28:04 PM »

Does turnout look bad for Cameron because he wasn't an inspiring candidate, the election itsself is not seen as important or these people are kind of resigned to Beshear, who hasn't enflamed much passion against him? I guess a combination of all of these. (However, not getting ahead of myself here, the election isn't over and Beshear isn't guaranteed to win yet).

If Beshear does end up winning decently and turnout IS low in Cameron areas, yeah I wonder if it also is partly that strongly GOP voters don't mind Beshear as much so weren't as inclined to go and vote against him, and then add that Cameron wasn't inspiring on their own side, a lot of hardcore GOPers were just like meh, if Beshear wins, it's not the end of the world.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #682 on: November 07, 2023, 03:29:50 PM »

Yeah my guess is that KY Governor isn’t viewed as much as a proxy this time as last time as Bevin basically was the KY version of Trump and you could say Beshear was Biden .

Cameron really isn’t like any of the other GOP candidates as the candidate you could say he was most like was Pence who is out of the race now , and Beshear’s approvals are way better than Biden’s so he isn’t really like Biden this time either
EastwoodS

« Reply #683 on: November 07, 2023, 03:33:55 PM »

SOS is predicting 45% turnout. Up 3% from 2019
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #684 on: November 07, 2023, 03:36:17 PM »

If Beshear does end up winning decently and turnout IS low in Cameron areas, yeah I wonder if it also is partly that strongly GOP voters don't mind Beshear as much so weren't as inclined to go and vote against him, and then add that Cameron wasn't inspiring on their own side, a lot of hardcore GOPers were just like meh, if Beshear wins, it's not the end of the world.
The GOP's majority in either legislative chamber isn't in any real danger, either. Now, if either chamber was competitive, THEN you might see better turnout for Cameron.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #685 on: November 07, 2023, 03:38:34 PM »

this is right at what it was in 2019 in louisville (47.9%)

sec. of state predicts statewide turnout will be 42% (two points down from 2019)
That tweet was from 6-7am this morning though. I don't think it has accomidated for the in person numbers yet.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #686 on: November 07, 2023, 03:45:26 PM »

It probably actually is in large part because a nontrivial number of rural Kentucky whites who otherwise would vote Republican can't bring themselves to turn out for a black man.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #687 on: November 07, 2023, 03:47:41 PM »

It probably actually is in large part because a nontrivial number of rural Kentucky whites who otherwise would vote Republican can't bring themselves to turn out for a black man.
If Cameron was running in Indiana, he wouldn't have too much of a problem.
EastwoodS

« Reply #688 on: November 07, 2023, 03:49:38 PM »

That is so ed up
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #689 on: November 07, 2023, 04:02:27 PM »

I’m honestly very surprised by the late dooming here. Cameron is a very weak candidate and Beshear is relatively popular. I expect him to win by no less than 5%.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #690 on: November 07, 2023, 04:42:46 PM »

I mean Tim Scott has done super well with Deep South whites in his elections and SC whites are probably more racist than KY ones .

I would say the main difference is that republicans clearly have turnout problems outside the south west in offyear elections now
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #691 on: November 07, 2023, 04:44:31 PM »

I think the answer might actually just be that Cameron is perceived as so close to Mitch McConnell who basically everyone hates. They might vote for him out of sheer partisanship, but getting a McConnell protege into the governor's mansion in an odd year election against a Governor that most people probably think is at least "OK" isn't a big priority.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #692 on: November 07, 2023, 04:47:49 PM »

I’m honestly very surprised by the late dooming here. Cameron is a very weak candidate and Beshear is relatively popular. I expect him to win by no less than 5%.

Beshear is popular and I still think he’ll win, but what makes Cameron “very weak”? He seems like a fairly generic R, all things considered.
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #693 on: November 07, 2023, 04:49:15 PM »

I certainly agree that there is plenty of unfortunate racism in rural white America, but I've never really seen any evidence of that racism manifesting in dislike of African American Republican candidates. This type of modern-day racism generally consists of dislike/fear of Black culture and dislike of how liberal leaning they are generally are politically. These same types of generally racist people often have no problem at all befriending black people whom they individually trust (which is why having a black friend is not considered good proof of not being racist). Likewise, from what I've seen these people also have no issue with Black Republican candidates, as those candidates break with the majority political views of the black community and generally appeal to conservative whites in their messaging. African American Republicans are viewed by plenty of generally racist whites as "the good ones." This is why Black Republicans such as Tim Scott have had no issues being elected in the South. If anything, these voters probably like electing Black Republicans since it helps them rebut claims of being racist.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #694 on: November 07, 2023, 04:51:12 PM »

Beshear is popular and I still think he’ll win, but what makes Cameron “very weak”? He seems like a fairly generic R, all things considered.

Generic is only a strength if you're up against a sh-t opponent. It's a weakness otherwise.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #695 on: November 07, 2023, 04:52:55 PM »

Still?!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #696 on: November 07, 2023, 04:53:50 PM »

As I noted above he's so heavily connected to McConnell who is a very unpopular and toxic figure, even if he's able to get reelected via sheer partisanship.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #697 on: November 07, 2023, 05:00:40 PM »

Still?!

Yeah, racism ain't over yet. Certainly not in Eastern Kentucky.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #698 on: November 07, 2023, 05:04:46 PM »

Still?!

Yeah, racism ain't over yet. Certainly not in Eastern Kentucky.

Or in North Georgia, either.  I think in some cases it's unconscious racism; while some people wouldn't intentionally discriminate, they may get an uncomfortable "vibe" about a black candidate when it comes time to choose.  (For others, of course, it's more conscious and deliberate.)
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #699 on: November 07, 2023, 05:05:01 PM »

Yeah I think Beshear wins again and outperforms his 2019 margins, so about Beshear +3. Maybe even more if rural GOP turnout is still very abysmal. Cameron +2 is definitely not happening tonight.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies