Kentucky 2023 gubernatorial election megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:56:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kentucky 2023 gubernatorial election megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 33
Poll
Question: Rate the 2023 Kentucky gubernatorial election
Safe D

Likely D

Lean D

Tossup/tilt D

Tossup/tilt R

Lean R

Likely R

Safe R

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 262

Author Topic: Kentucky 2023 gubernatorial election megathread  (Read 48226 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: September 13, 2023, 03:29:44 PM »

I did a fun little "Yik Yak" poll of my college, I asked people who they would vote for in 2023, for context, this is a moderate, left-of-center college in a deep red, suburban county of Lexington. People had 4 options; Andy, Cameron, not voting, and I don't know..
Out of 426 voters in this poll, Beshear won like 60%, Cameron came in 4th place with 9%, lolo. Not really telling of much but still funny.
Wait, I thought Yik Yak was dead a couple years ago?
EastwoodS

« Reply #376 on: September 13, 2023, 03:34:30 PM »

I did a fun little "Yik Yak" poll of my college, I asked people who they would vote for in 2023, for context, this is a moderate, left-of-center college in a deep red, suburban county of Lexington. People had 4 options; Andy, Cameron, not voting, and I don't know..
Out of 426 voters in this poll, Beshear won like 60%, Cameron came in 4th place with 9%, lolo. Not really telling of much but still funny.
nah, it's huge and alive and well at my school still
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #377 on: September 13, 2023, 03:40:49 PM »

Like literally dead, shut down by the developer.
EastwoodS

« Reply #378 on: September 13, 2023, 03:44:11 PM »

Like literally dead, shut down by the developer.
nope.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #379 on: September 13, 2023, 06:00:54 PM »

It was brought back in 2021 during lockdowns after being shut down in 2017.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #380 on: September 14, 2023, 01:08:15 AM »

The rights to the name were sold and a new app was created by that name. A few months ago I went hiking with my brother (a current undergraduate at UCLA) and noticed that he was wearing socks that had what I recognized as the Yik Yak logo on them. I asked why there were yaks on his socks and he said that there was this new app that was doing marketing on campus and they had been handing out branded socks. I couldn't keep myself from laughing when he described it like that because he just had no idea that Yik Yak had been big when I was in college.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #381 on: September 14, 2023, 02:13:25 AM »

Wait I'm trying to figure out what "deep red, suburban county of Lexington" there even is that also has a college? Closest thing I can think of is EKU? (Beshear won Madison County last time btw.) Only alternative is Centre in Danville/Boyle County (Boyle voted slightly for Bevin last time, but I expect it to flip to Beshear based on the 2020 -- when it voted left of the state -- and 2022 -- when it voted against the abortion ban -- results there). But calling either Richmond or Danville a "suburb" of Lexington is a stretch; the Lexington metro proper is Clark, Jessamine, Bourbon, Woodford, and Scott, in addition to of course Fayette.

Also I too am amazed YikYak is still a thing. I was out of school by the time it became big but my brother wasn't. I heard they basically destroyed themselves by ruining the anonymity; is it now fully anonymous again?
EastwoodS

« Reply #382 on: September 14, 2023, 07:02:28 AM »

Wait I'm trying to figure out what "deep red, suburban county of Lexington" there even is that also has a college? Closest thing I can think of is EKU? (Beshear won Madison County last time btw.) Only alternative is Centre in Danville/Boyle County (Boyle voted slightly for Bevin last time, but I expect it to flip to Beshear based on the 2020 -- when it voted left of the state -- and 2022 -- when it voted against the abortion ban -- results there). But calling either Richmond or Danville a "suburb" of Lexington is a stretch; the Lexington metro proper is Clark, Jessamine, Bourbon, Woodford, and Scott, in addition to of course Fayette.

Also I too am amazed YikYak is still a thing. I was out of school by the time it became big but my brother wasn't. I heard they basically destroyed themselves by ruining the anonymity; is it now fully anonymous again?
yeah, I go to EKU and I've always felt it was a suburb cause you are only 25 minutes from Lexington and I drive home to Louisville all the time so it feels like a quick drive that this point.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #383 on: September 20, 2023, 09:52:29 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #384 on: September 20, 2023, 01:49:22 PM »

This is all he has? Cameron seriously just screams lame. He just doesn't have the juice.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #385 on: September 20, 2023, 02:14:15 PM »

Honestly if any candidates win by more than 5 it could mean something for 2024. Otherwise, definitely not.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #386 on: September 20, 2023, 05:57:05 PM »

This is all he has? Cameron seriously just screams lame. He just doesn't have the juice.

Cameron needs to touch bluegrass.

(I've been waiting to use that one)
EastwoodS

« Reply #387 on: September 20, 2023, 07:16:19 PM »

Cameron is Bob Dole style lame. I've never been so enthusiastic to vote Democratic in my life.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #388 on: September 20, 2023, 07:18:50 PM »

Cameron is Bob Dole style lame. I've never been so enthusiastic to vote Democratic in my life.
It's very weird to see you leading towards voting for a Democrat, let alone being enthusiastic to do so.
I guess that might speak to Cameron being hugely awful?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #389 on: September 21, 2023, 08:09:32 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #390 on: September 21, 2023, 08:59:34 AM »

Honestly if any candidates win by more than 5 it could mean something for 2024. Otherwise, definitely not.

I'm not sure there are national implications. KY goc in recent decades always went as the next presidential election a year later, though it's most likely just a coincidence.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #391 on: September 21, 2023, 09:08:20 AM »

Cameron's response probably won't persuade many voters concerned about abortion that he supports exceptions and it may hurt him with hardcore anti-abortion voters who don't support any exceptions.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #392 on: September 21, 2023, 09:12:54 AM »

In a halfway decent world that ad would sink Cameron forever. Beshear seems favored here but it's not a done deal.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #393 on: September 21, 2023, 09:17:05 AM »

The problem here is that we lost Roe v. Wade under the Democrats. If I was President last year when Roe v. Wade was gutted, I would have had a remedy ready by the end of the weekend, maybe even by the end of the evening. Even after Roe v. Wade was gutted, the Democrats still did not codify Roe v. Wade when they had the chance.

I think the Democrats still control the 2 major cities in Kentucky and a few rural counties too. Are they doing anything to safeguard abortion rights in these places?

So basically this issue has become a fundraising cudgel for the Democrats. They talk a lot, but haven't done anything.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #394 on: September 21, 2023, 09:41:39 AM »

The problem here is that we lost Roe v. Wade under the Democrats. If I was President last year when Roe v. Wade was gutted, I would have had a remedy ready by the end of the weekend, maybe even by the end of the evening. Even after Roe v. Wade was gutted, the Democrats still did not codify Roe v. Wade when they had the chance.

I think the Democrats still control the 2 major cities in Kentucky and a few rural counties too. Are they doing anything to safeguard abortion rights in these places?

So basically this issue has become a fundraising cudgel for the Democrats. They talk a lot, but haven't done anything.

Not trying to derail this thread, but do you know how the US Senate works? You need 60 votes to codify Roe.

There is no unilateral solution to Roe v Wade going down. This is really giving "do something" crowd vibes.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #395 on: September 21, 2023, 08:42:14 PM »

Turns out most sane people don’t like recklessly outlawing medical procedures, especially when not having access to them kills people.

Who could have possibly seen this coming!
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #396 on: September 22, 2023, 09:03:04 AM »

Not trying to derail this thread, but do you know how the US Senate works? You need 60 votes to codify Roe.

There is no unilateral solution to Roe v Wade going down. This is really giving "do something" crowd vibes.

Why didn't they codify Roe in 2009 then?  There were 60 Dems + at least 3 pro-choice R's (Murkowski, Collins and Snowe) in the senate at the time.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #397 on: September 22, 2023, 09:25:27 AM »

Why didn't they codify Roe in 2009 then?  There were 60 Dems + at least 3 pro-choice R's (Murkowski, Collins and Snowe) in the senate at the time.

A ton of those Dems were not pro-choice Dems, especially given there were still many more red state Dems back then. And I don't even think that Murkowski or Collins would've went along with it back then either.
ReallySuper
El Salvador

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: -7.39

« Reply #398 on: September 22, 2023, 10:59:44 PM »

i am usually the first to criticize dems (especially louisville corporate real estate vulture demonrats), but since abortion is legislated for at the state level there's literally nothing they can do. you can't "safeguard abortion rights" in louisville or lexington when the state legislature has already forced the last abortion clinics to close (and not just with the dobbs decision + the trigger law, but through a sustained years-long campaign). and lou metro actually did pass an (unconstitutional) ordinance creating a buffer zone around the EMW clinic to protect women from reactionary protesters. also worth noting that beshear pretty much single-handedly doubled the number of clinics in ky (from 1 to 2 lol) before the trigger ban went into effect by reversing bevin's onerous restrictions
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #399 on: September 24, 2023, 10:16:33 AM »

Anecdotally: I have been driving around the state recently and seen probably hundreds of Beshear signs. In cities, suburbs, rural areas, small towns alike. Not a single Cameron sign. Some of these Beshear signs are even next to Trump signs.

Now you might say that yard signs don't mean much, that liberals/Democrats are more likely to be politically engaged anyway, etc. (Although that doesn't explain the ones next to Trump signs.) But all I can say is that, driving through Ohio and Michigan in October 2016, that's when I started to get really worried that Trump could win because I saw Trump sign after Trump sign and no Hillary signs. Seems the enthusiasm is on Beshear's side, and even Cameron's Republican voters by and large aren't thrilled with him. Not saying they won't come out to vote for him, but I am increasingly doubting it will be enough. At this point I now expect Beshear to win by a significantly bigger margin than last time, if not by the landslide margin some polls are showing.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies