Louisiana 2023 gubernatorial election megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:12:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Louisiana 2023 gubernatorial election megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Rate the 2023 Louisiana gubernatorial election
Safe R

Likely R

Lean R

Tossup/tilt R

Tossup/tilt D

Lean D

Likely D

Safe D

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 170

Author Topic: Louisiana 2023 gubernatorial election megathread  (Read 23761 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« on: January 28, 2021, 06:45:52 PM »

John Neely Kennedy will be the next governor imo.

I thinkhe retires fromhis senate seat in 2022 and gets replaced in the Senate by Jeff Landry.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 07:26:23 PM »

Who would win a Landry vs Nungesser runoff?

I think Landry would be favored since Nungesser would be framed as the RINO candidate.

I'm not so sure about that. Landry is the most polarizing of any of the candidates in this race. I'm actually of the opinion that Landry likely loses to any Republican as the other Republican probably gets enough Democratic voters to get them over the finish line, if nothing else. That being said, Landry would beat any Democrat.

If it was Kennedy vs Nungesser? Yes that would be a very likely Kennedy Victory, but between Landry and Nungesser I actually think Nungesser would stand a good chance. And I think Landry is the only Republican Nungesser could beat.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 05:06:47 AM »

Mitch Landrieu is the only Democrat that can keep this seat...

Other than that, Likely R.

10 years ago, he would have been a very strong candidate.

But he governed New Orleans fairly liberally and made some polarizing decisions that alienated the former Blue Dog swing voters he would need in order to win.

At this point I think he'd lose to just about any Republican.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 04:00:27 PM »

What exactly are the odds of Kennedy running?

I feel like he makes noise about running for Governor every four years, but he's never pulled the trigger. It's kind of a boy who cried wolf situation at this point.

Maybe both senators will face each other? Nah too exciting...

I endorse John Kennedy if he runs

Go Kennedy !
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 02:32:47 PM »

The Republicans are all staying out of this race, clearing the field for Landry to a degree I wasn't expecting.

I'd be surprised if Landry isn't elected the next governor, given all of his viable opponents seem to have decided against running.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 04:59:28 AM »

It looks like the most significant challenger Jeff Landry is going to have is John Schroder, the State Treasurer.

I more or less knew how the other major Republicans were positioned politically, but I have to admit I don't know much about Schroder. Is he more moderate, more conservative, or similar to Landry? Is there any possibility he becomes the de facto alternative candidate to Landry?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 07:26:44 AM »

It looks like the most significant challenger Jeff Landry is going to have is John Schroder, the State Treasurer.

I more or less knew how the other major Republicans were positioned politically, but I have to admit I don't know much about Schroder. Is he more moderate, more conservative, or similar to Landry? Is there any possibility he becomes the de facto alternative candidate to Landry?

Local denizens will give better answer, but, AFAIK - he is a solid conservative, almost "on par" with Landry, just less "vocal". Nungesser would be "moderate alternative" to Landry, but, with him deciding to pass this race, in absence of Vitter-type scandal i don't see real alternatives to Landry now..

Yeah makes sense.

I think the only people who could have beaten Landry would have been Kennedy (the Governor's Mansion was his if he wanted it, I'm honestly not sure why he decided not to run at the end) and Nungesser (who could have made the race competititive, and given Kennedy didn't run I don't know why he didn't try).

But yeah Schroder seems both too unknown and undistinguished, and also too similar to Landry in order to be an effective challenger.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies