Louisiana 2023 gubernatorial election megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:36:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Louisiana 2023 gubernatorial election megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Poll
Question: Rate the 2023 Louisiana gubernatorial election
Safe R

Likely R

Lean R

Tossup/tilt R

Tossup/tilt D

Lean D

Likely D

Safe D

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 170

Author Topic: Louisiana 2023 gubernatorial election megathread  (Read 23708 times)
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 08:52:51 PM »

John Neely Kennedy will be the next governor imo.

I thinkhe retires fromhis senate seat in 2022 and gets replaced in the Senate by Jeff Landry.

Edwin Edwards if he wants it
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 10:43:32 PM »

I thinkhe retires fromhis senate seat in 2022 and gets replaced in the Senate by Jeff Landry.

He can't. Unless he receives a full pardon, he cannot seek the governorship until 15 years have passed since the end of his prison sentence, which would be in 2027 when he is 100 years old.

Face it, we're not getting the epic wizard vs lizard rematch we've all been waiting for.  Sad
Flyersfan232

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2021, 04:53:42 PM »

r/r runoff
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 04:41:30 PM »

If JBE really wants to, he could back Dardenne in 2023 so that his successor is reasonably close to being like him.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2021, 07:43:44 AM »

I'd say the only thing that would make this safe D is if David Duke runs for governor again. Landrieu probably wins in a landslide and he probably wins Calcasieu and St Tammany parishes as well (which Edwin Edwards did against Duke in 1991).

Even David Duke would win Louisiana with a Democrat in the Oval Office.

Nowadays the ad campaign would probably be "Vote for the Klansman: it's important (he's a PATRIOT and supports the 2A and STRONG BORDERS)"

Duke is still really hated in Louisiana and I think the Klan aspect would be too bitter a pill to swallow for a critical mass, but it would certainly be much closer than 91.

David Vitter lost by double digits despite a Democrat as the president.

The only people Duke could maybe beat are Gary Landrieu or Bill Jefferson.
He has Roy Moore issues.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2021, 11:44:11 AM »

We need to recruit Ed Orgeron and Joe Burrow to run!!!
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2021, 01:16:19 AM »

As i said many times - JBE and, probably, Beshear on Democratic side, and Baker, Hogan and Phil Scott - on Republican, are examples of "the last of Mohicans". After them - US elections will become even more predictable and boring... They already are in 98% of cases, they will - in 99.9%. Only fundamental change in party system can help to avoid such situation...
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2021, 03:06:34 AM »

Burrow I ain't so sure about. I know he's a celebrity in Louisiana but he plays in Cincinnati right now (and plus he's from Iowa).

Now Orgeron, I have extreme doubts about it as I'm sure he loves his job as LSU coach and doesn't want to leave that position anytime soon (and it would probably harm his reputation as "Coach O" if he did), though he may be slightly more likely than Burrow. Though he may be more of an independent politically? He endorsed JBE in 2019 and Trump in 2020 so I'm not sure how it'd help him in a gubernatorial run.

To summarize it all though, neither of them are running for ANY political office anytime soon.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2021, 11:36:58 AM »

Burrow I ain't so sure about. I know he's a celebrity in Louisiana but he plays in Cincinnati right now (and plus he's from Iowa).

Now Orgeron, I have extreme doubts about it as I'm sure he loves his job as LSU coach and doesn't want to leave that position anytime soon (and it would probably harm his reputation as "Coach O" if he did), though he may be slightly more likely than Burrow. Though he may be more of an independent politically? He endorsed JBE in 2019 and Trump in 2020 so I'm not sure how it'd help him in a gubernatorial run.

To summarize it all though, neither of them are running for ANY political office anytime soon.

To clarify I’m joking. And Burrow is from Ohio not Iowa.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2021, 12:19:43 PM »

I think we'll have a Democrat in the runoff, New Orleans is just too influential in Louisiana politics for a R/R runoff.

That said, unless Biden's popularity shoots way up, or it's clear by election day 2023 he isn't running for reelection, any Democrat will be an underdog.

Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2021, 02:06:46 PM »

To clarify I’m joking. And Burrow is from Ohio not Iowa.

Well he was born in Iowa but I guess he did spend most of his life in Ohio.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2021, 01:41:20 PM »

Honestly wonder if we may see Gary Chambers Jr. jump into this race? Obviously he won't win, but it'd still be interesting to see.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2021, 08:38:22 AM »

As i said many times - JBE and, probably, Beshear on Democratic side, and Baker, Hogan and Phil Scott - on Republican, are examples of "the last of Mohicans". After them - US elections will become even more predictable and boring... They already are in 98% of cases, they will - in 99.9%. Only fundamental change in party system can help to avoid such situation...

I don't think the moderate Rs on the East Coast will die out, given how Scott/Baker/Hogan have all won landslide victories during D waves and presidential years. Red states do seem to be getting redder on the state level though.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2021, 10:49:46 PM »

Toss-up. Depends on nominees. Slight GOP edge.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2021, 12:54:41 AM »

I don't think the moderate Rs on the East Coast will die out, given how Scott/Baker/Hogan have all won landslide victories during D waves and presidential years. Red states do seem to be getting redder on the state level though.

Well - yes and no, IMHO. Moderate Rs on the East coast need to win primaries first. And in situation where (even on the East Coast) most of party organizations are dominated by Trumpists, and many "activists", who dominate primaries, are Trumpists too, that may become serious problem. In 2018 both Baker and Scott had conservative primary opponents, who, while having no chances in GE, and being much "lower class" politicians in general, were, nevertheless, able to get about 1/3 of primary vote simply by being "real conservatives". BTW - the same may gradually happen with Democrats in red staes: only"diehard activists" will care about Democratic primaries, most liberal (and having no chances in GE) candidates - nominated, and Republicans - elected.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2021, 02:17:27 AM »

Update: According to wikipedia, Orgeron is now listed as a potential republican candidate, as is Steve Scalise. I don't expect either of them to run though.

Jeff Landry is now listed in the "publicly expressed interest" part, and has the most outside sources by his name. Seems very likely he could end up being the nominee and eventual winner, as Kennedy will likely decline to run in order to stay in the senate, hopefully as majority leader?

P.S., bump.
Zendstrummer
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2022, 08:02:59 AM »

I wonder if Ralph Abraham will run again? He probably would have beat JBE last time if he had finished ahead of Rispone. I could also see Jeff Landry easily win.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2022, 10:20:12 AM »

Er, no...

this is an even safer flip than MA-GOV 2022/MD-GOV 2022
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2022, 12:44:31 PM »

Er, no...

You don't realize that LA Senate is a battlefield state now, because Kennedy has to get to 50, the game plan is win LA Sen and then Gov race, it's not the polls what's happening now in Jan it's the end result polls

That's why I have endorsed Chambers, like Warnock he can win a runoff and FL, OH and NC aren't over since Rs are only leading by 4 pts well within margin of error

Rs think they're safe Rubio and DeSantis only leading by 4 pts
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2022, 02:49:12 PM »

Er, no...

You don't realize that LA Senate is a battlefield state now, because Kennedy has to get to 50, the game plan is win LA Sen and then Gov race, it's not the polls what's happening now in Jan it's the end result polls

That's why I have endorsed Chambers, like Warnock he can win a runoff and FL, OH and NC aren't over since Rs are only leading by 4 pts well within margin of error

Kennedy's already got 50, and he's gonna pass 60.

Safe R no matter how much #resist money Grifter Chambers gets.

Governors race is safe R too even if Chambers decides to go for governor after getting his butt handed to him in the senate race.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2022, 03:02:01 PM »

Er, no...

Governors race is safe R too even if Chambers decides to go for governor after getting his butt handed to him in the senate race.

D's just put made L A a battleground state there is no poll that shows Kennedy at 50 percent
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2022, 03:11:57 PM »

Er, no...

D's just put made L A a battleground state there is no poll that shows Kennedy at 50 percent

What polls? And if they really made Louisiana a battleground priority then the party is ran by idiots.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2022, 02:55:23 AM »

Er, no...

Not much safer, but at least - on par (may be -slighjtly more safe). Even much more conservative candidate (at least Blanco-level) wouldn't save party now, and "progressive" (especially - "social progressive") as a statewide candidate in this state is a mockery pf highest order...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2022, 11:01:39 AM »

Gimme a break safe R LA it's a Democratic state in local elections and Kennedy can still lose in a Runoff and we win the Gov race in 2023 in KY as well, as you know very well states don't vote automatically for Prez and local elections
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2022, 02:12:23 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2022, 02:20:33 PM by Lone Star Politics »

He can't. Unless he receives a full pardon, he cannot seek the governorship until 15 years have passed since the end of his prison sentence, which would be in 2027 when he is 100 years old.

Face it, we're not getting the epic wizard vs lizard rematch we've all been waiting for.  Sad

Oh and I guess I should also add that he’s dead now so…

Gimme a break safe R LA it's a Democratic state in local elections and Kennedy can still lose in a Runoff and we win the Gov race in 2023 in KY as well, as you know very well states don't vote automatically for Prez and local elections

A liberal democrat like Chambers (who’s almost certain to lose this year) is NOT winning a gubernatorial race in Louisiana, especially when Louisiana voted for Trump by nearly 20% both elections. JBE was a centrist democrat that won his first election in 2015 after the previous governor was deeply unpopular, and barely held on in 2019 due to the national environment. Had the 2019 election taken place in 2020 instead, JBE would’ve went down by a lot.

Also remember that most democrats outside of Shreveport, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans are ancestral democrats who never bothered to switch to the GOP. Sure they may vote for democrat small town mayors but I guarantee the democrat mayors in these small towns aren’t advocating for very liberal policies. I have very full confidence that the 2023 gubernatorial election is automatically safe R if it ends up between Chambers and literally any republican. And remember JBE is term-limited which basically guarantees that Louisiana will be an R flip.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies