If Texas v Pennsylvania passed, what would have been worse?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:48:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  If Texas v Pennsylvania passed, what would have been worse?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If Texas v Pennsylvania passed, what would have been worse?
Dred v Scott

Texas v Pennsylvania

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: If Texas v Pennsylvania passed, what would have been worse?  (Read 228 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2021, 05:09:38 PM »

vote
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 05:43:04 PM »

Something would have to be seriously wrong with the court system for the Supreme Court to even hear the Texas v. Pennsylvania case, so whatever events happened to make the court actively anti-democracy would be worse than Dred Scott because it would imply that no one had rights, including but not limited to African Americans. That said, this question doesn't really make sense in a vacuum because Texas never had a chance of winning the Texas v. Pennsylvania case.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 10:51:26 AM »

Texas v. Pennsylvania.

Dred Scott I guesss makes at least some coherent (but wrong) arguments, despite being an incredibly awful decision. Per Wikipedia's very limited summary, point 3 makes at least some sense if you thinkg that black people are property ("The Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment prohibits the federal government from freeing slaves brought into federal territories.").

I would disagree with the ruling there, but at least it's something that makes some limited legal sense

Texas v. Pennsylvania would have been 100% nonsensical; and I imagine any lawyer would think it is a mockery of the legal profession (though actual Atlas lawyers feel free to correct me).

Seriously, even what was arguably the Fantasyland equivalent to Texas v. Pennsylvania was better than the RL one somehow. Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 11:51:20 AM »

Texas v. Pennsylvania.

Dred Scott I guesss makes at least some coherent (but wrong) arguments, despite being an incredibly awful decision. Per Wikipedia's very limited summary, point 3 makes at least some sense if you thinkg that black people are property ("The Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment prohibits the federal government from freeing slaves brought into federal territories.").

I would disagree with the ruling there, but at least it's something that makes some limited legal sense

Texas v. Pennsylvania would have been 100% nonsensical; and I imagine any lawyer would think it is a mockery of the legal profession (though actual Atlas lawyers feel free to correct me).

Seriously, even what was arguably the Fantasyland equivalent to Texas v. Pennsylvania was better than the RL one somehow. Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction

Using arguments which are historically and legally baseless to support the notion that neGroeS aRe nOt pEople and that therefore Dred Scott lacks standing, and then instead of just dismissing the lawsuit and closing the case, spending a sh**tload of pages on what should have been obiter dicta to basically declare that slavery is sacred and the federal government cannot do jacksh**t about it is NOT making a mockery of the legal profession?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 11:53:26 AM »

Texas v. Pennsylvania.

Using arguments which are historically and legally baseless to support the notion that neGroeS aRe nOt pEople and that therefore Dred Scott lacks standing, and then instead of just dismissing the lawsuit and closing the case, spending a sh**tload of pages on what should have been obiter dicta to basically declare that slavery is sacred and the federal government cannot do jacksh**t about it is NOT making a mockery of the legal profession?

Oh it absolutely was a joke, but the Texas v. Pennsylvania case would have been an even bigger mockery I think Tongue
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 12:10:54 PM »

If it was heard, we know it's likely to be rejected, but would Thomas or Alito have objected. They supported the claims by Trump that the election was stolen?

I believe Alito would have objected while Thomas would not (for some other originalist constitutional reason)

Would it have been 7-2 / 8-1 or 9-0?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies