Punk purists vs metal purists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:33:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Punk purists vs metal purists
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who are more annoying?
Punk purists

Metal purists

Trick question - both punk and metal suck

They’re equally annoying

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Punk purists vs metal purists  (Read 640 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2021, 02:05:15 PM »

Equally annoying, and I’m gonna listen to some crossover hardcore/thrash metal now.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 02:09:28 PM »

I guess I"m a little confused as to what you mean by "purists".
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 02:39:35 PM »

I guess I"m a little confused as to what you mean by "purists".

People who make it a point to criticize bands (and their fans) for not being sufficiently punk or metal, and in this context, punk fans who hate all metal and metalheads and metalheads who reciprocate.

Battle of the fanbois subcultures, in other words.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 02:53:45 PM »

The first, and most important difference, is that metal is awful, while punk is not.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 03:42:37 PM »

Metal purists are the worse because they act like Slayer and Metallica are like the pinnacle of music with fast riffs and treat ANY guitar music as like insufficient compared to those bands. Punk purists are like..."you don't not bathe as much i don't bathe"
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 11:56:46 PM »

I'm a heavy metal guy and used to be semi-active in the metal community. From my experience, metal purists are less annoying than punk purists (or emo purists like BRTD). With one noteable exception: "classic metal" purists who only like 80s metal or modern bands that sound like 80s bands and reject any form of modern metal.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 09:55:22 AM »

I mean, they're both just white guys with electric guitars sounding angry. Can people even tell the difference between them? Cheesy
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 12:43:53 PM »

I mean, they're both just white guys with electric guitars sounding angry. Can people even tell the difference between them? Cheesy
I know you're joking a bit, but my experience in Toronto's metal scene was that it's a somewhat multi-cultural scene.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 12:54:07 PM »

Yes and the difference is  VERY, VERY IMPORTANT to a lot of people in these scenes.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 03:24:38 PM »

I'm a heavy metal guy and used to be semi-active in the metal community. From my experience, metal purists are less annoying than punk purists (or emo purists like BRTD). With one noteable exception: "classic metal" purists who only like 80s metal or modern bands that sound like 80s bands and reject any form of modern metal.

I'm actually not an emo purist. I mean I listen to Taking Back Sunday!
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 04:41:49 PM »

Yes and the difference is  VERY, VERY IMPORTANT to a lot of people in these scenes.
Right. Which is why it's so great to poke fun at. Because I fundamentally don't care.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 05:19:11 PM »

Right. Which is why it's so great to poke fun at. Because I fundamentally don't care.

To be fair, punk vs. metal is not exactly some tiny niche difference which only purists would obsess over. They are completely different genres, and indeed have several closer relatives than one another.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 02:01:29 AM »

Not sure if joking, but in punk the emphasis is on speed and punk bands are not necessarily all that loud. You also see a wide variety of vocal styles and almost never overt screaming/growling as in metal. Love punk but metal is not my thing at all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 03:51:19 AM »

I guess I don't know any "purists".  I try not associate with people who take sh**t too seriously.  In my experience the average punk is more open to non-punk music than the average metalhead is open to non-metal music.

and to be fair to Blairite, there is some overlap (Motorhead and Suicidal Tendencies for two).  Of course there is a difference....punk is sloppy fast and loud, metal is tight, fast and loud but there are bands that somehow live in the middle.  Punk is generally more political and deals with real things whereas metal is more about satan and sex.  But some punk bands are apolitical and some metal bands sing about real stuff.  Metal is guitar focused, punk likes their guitars obviously, but the drumming is way more important than in metal.  A good punk band has to have a good drummer, a metal band has to have a good guitarist.  Both piss off parents, which is a part of the fun when you're a teenager discovering this stuff.  My kids never got to experience that joy, how are you going to offend parents who listen to GWAR and The Dead Kennedys?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 10:29:20 PM »

how are you going to offend parents who listen to GWAR and The Dead Kennedys?

How about some Celine Dion or Michael Bolton?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 12:09:15 AM »

how are you going to offend parents who listen to GWAR and The Dead Kennedys?

How about some Celine Dion or Michael Bolton?
if anything would do it, that would be it.  One of them did get into Lady Gaga, but she's better than either of those.  The oldest boy (and the only one to show any musical talent) loves him some Ben Folds...too soft for my tastes, but he's talented.  The younger ones (23 and 19) like Nirvana and Blink 182 and that kind of stuff, which is cool.  My wife listens to worse music than my kids.  She used to listen to Static X and Pink Floyd, now it's....I don't even know, I call it "sexy baby" music because the female singers sing sexy songs but do so with what sounds like baby talk.  It's creepy.

(though we all like that Michael Bolton song he did for SNL with the Lonely Island boys, and the Micheal Bolton Valentine Special on Netflix is fun.  Props to him for being able to laugh at himself.  Artists that are Very Serious People suck, and he's not that.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies