OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:28:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance  (Read 95102 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 22, 2021, 04:33:33 PM »

Josh Mandel at it again with the boomer TPUSA talking points

It tells you that Josh Mandel is an idiot

It tells you the best reason Mandel can come up with for supporting his party is the letters in its name.

a.) He's an idiot for whom basic logic and reasoning is challenging
b.) There are literally no other reasons to support his party except for the one he gave
c.) Both of the above

I think the answer's probably C.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 04:38:41 PM »

Some old, once deleted tweets JD Vance tweets that were critical of President Trump have come out.

Ohio Republican Senate candidate J.D. Vance said on Monday that he regrets posting since-deleted tweets critical of former President Trump.

“Like a lot of people, I criticized Trump back in 2016,” Vance told Fox News' Alicia Acuna during a Monday interview. “And I ask folks not to judge me based on what I said in 2016, because I’ve been very open that I did say those critical things and I regret them, and I regret being wrong about the guy. I think he was a good president, I think he made a lot of good decisions for people, and I think he took a lot of flak.”

“I think … the most important thing, is not what you said five years ago, but whether you’re willing to stand up and take the heat and take the hits for actually defending the interests of the American people,” Vance said.

Vance also says in the clip shared by Mediaite that he met with Trump recently at his Mar-a-Lago estate and calls him a “good president.”

Vance has turned into a coward over Trump - yet another victim of Trump who has been corrupted - someone who's abandoned all their principles.

Now I'm wondering what if it was a good idea to get the copy of Hillbilly Elegy I got last Christmas.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 04:56:19 PM »

If the Ohio Republican Party eats each other up by now and May and there is still divisions, Tim Ryan better go on the offense and attack Republicans as fascists who want to give tax cuts to the rich and etc.

He should campaign in Southeast Ohio with Sen. Brown, try to win Meigs County.

He needs to rack up Brown 2006-Brown 2012-Brown 2018 numbers.

I disagree. No expert on OH politics but Southeast Ohio is somewhat sparsely populated and gone for the Democrats - too Trumpy. Ryan, if he wants any chance at a win, should focus largely on the suburbs and, most importantly, on his home base of Northeast Ohio - It's dense, and has a lot of his voters (WWC) as well as his home turf. If he can somehow move Northeast Ohio significantly leftwards and not do too badly in the suburbs, he might hypothetically somehow pull off a win (though he'd also need to have all the cards go his way and have the GOP nominee make many gaffes).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 09:23:24 PM »

Ohio is about to have the most populist Senate delegation in the country

OH delegation combined isn't even nearly as #populist as Jon Tester alone

You need to calm down about Jon Tester's populism already.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 05:40:17 PM »

I will be very surprised if this race is within 10 points at a minimum.

We will see. I admit 2022 will be bad, but Ryan's a strong candidate who will make Northeast OH a bit bluer than it otherwise would be / a bit less red than it otherwise would be. Given that Ryan's strong and Vance/Mandel could quite possibly shoot themselves in the foot in the GE, I'd actually argue the race has a less than 50% chance of going red by double digits. But we'll see.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 09:04:23 PM »

Vance surge suggests Kemp could have a hard race coming once Trump steps in Georgia.

Trump has been stepping in for ages. Kemp will win easily.

This. Kemp will easy win the nomination, and based on his approvals right now, the general won't be too tough either. I'd say the nomination is Safe Kemp and the general is about Lean Kemp.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 09:56:23 PM »

Vance surge suggests Kemp could have a hard race coming once Trump steps in Georgia.

Trump has been stepping in for ages. Kemp will win easily.
If Perdue overperforms by the same margin Vance did in Ohio the GA Governor GOP Primary is going to a Runoff.
This. Kemp will easy win the nomination, and based on his approvals right now, the general won't be too tough either. I'd say the nomination is Safe Kemp and the general is about Lean Kemp.

Don't you worry, I'll be proven right when Perdue loses. It's on May 24, so 3 weeks from now. Not all endorsements of Trump's work (see AL, where he endorsed firebrand conservative Brooks - and then Brooks did so badly and it was so clear he was going to lose even Trump unendorsed him).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 04:57:01 PM »

It’s such a shame Ryan is going to lose because he’s running such a good campaign

Agreed. I'm still disgusted at how two-faced Vance is....I remember I read Hillbilly Elegy and then read people wanted Vance to challenge Sherrod Brown back in 2018. I was a little disappointed that he didn't, and thought it would be cool if he was a Senator (be careful what you wish for!). Well, Vance has proven to be a massive, unprincipled and insincere HP since, and I hope he loses. But yeah, despite Ryan running a great campaign, Vance probably wins comfortably.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 01:20:40 AM »

Oh perfect. Democratic donors are once again going to blow millions on a state that they aren’t winning, huh? You want your donation to be worthwhile, donate to Democrats with a solid chance of victory, like John Fetterman.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 08:38:54 PM »

Vance is a fake Appalachian, not a fake Ohioan.

Agreed 100%. The way he pretends he's from Breathitt County is just lame. He's legitimately from OH though.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 08:43:19 PM »

Tim Ryan borrowing from the Fetterman playbook a bit

Given Tim Ryan is a career politician.. I'm not sure who is more out of touch.

Fetterman has some credence attacking Oz, given he's a carpetbagger who's wife has more connection to PA..

Vance is just a Ohioan who's career resulted in him moving to another state.

You're so gullible. You're playing right into the hands of a multibillionaire, Peter Thiel. You think you're supporting some populist who cares about you? Really? Yeah, sure, J.D. Vance is genuinely an Ohioan. But he's also a wealthy venture capitalist. And when he's elected, see what he does for the working class. Spoiler alert: NOTHING. He'll vote for tax cuts like the 2017 one for the ultra-rich. When it comes to healthcare for the poor (including the miners), when it comes to Medicaid and Social Security, when it comes to food stamps, when it comes to infrastructure, he will deliver ZERO to the working classes of OH or WV or any part of the country. I'll tell you something: you need to decide what matters more - culture wars like those over LGBT+ rights and abortion, or economic, bread-and-butter issues, issues of healthcare and taxes. In other words, do you prioritise wedge issues the top 1% creates to divide the bottom 99%, to divert their attention, to keep them fighting amongst each other, and to let their common enemy, the ultra-rich, get away; or issues that would help the 99% rise up against the 1% just slightly, that would lessen the massive, yawning wealth gap that has expanded massively? Do you want a senator who will support the unemployed and the poor (including the miners you claim to support in your signature), or one who just votes for tax cuts for the donor class, for the 1%, for literal multibillionaires like Thiel? J.D. Vance may be Ohioan. But he is NOT populist and he is BY NO MEANS for the working class. He is for the ultra-ultra-rich. Is that the man you really want to support? In that case, you're both pathetic and gullible (though your endorsements in your signature told me that quite clearly already).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 08:47:34 PM »

Stupid line of attack to go after someone for leaving a state when it was because they joined the military.

Agreed.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 02:19:06 PM »

Tim Ryan borrowing from the Fetterman playbook a bit

Given Tim Ryan is a career politician.. I'm not sure who is more out of touch.

Fetterman has some credence attacking Oz, given he's a carpetbagger who's wife has more connection to PA..

Vance is just a Ohioan who's career resulted in him moving to another state.

You're so gullible. You're playing right into the hands of a multibillionaire, Peter Thiel. You think you're supporting some populist who cares about you? Really? Yeah, sure, J.D. Vance is genuinely an Ohioan. But he's also a wealthy venture capitalist. And when he's elected, see what he does for the working class. Spoiler alert: NOTHING. He'll vote for tax cuts like the 2017 one for the ultra-rich. When it comes to healthcare for the poor (including the miners), when it comes to Medicaid and Social Security, when it comes to food stamps, when it comes to infrastructure, he will deliver ZERO to the working classes of OH or WV or any part of the country. I'll tell you something: you need to decide what matters more - culture wars like those over LGBT+ rights and abortion, or economic, bread-and-butter issues, issues of healthcare and taxes. In other words, do you prioritise wedge issues the top 1% creates to divide the bottom 99%, to divert their attention, to keep them fighting amongst each other, and to let their common enemy, the ultra-rich, get away; or issues that would help the 99% rise up against the 1% just slightly, that would lessen the massive, yawning wealth gap that has expanded massively? Do you want a senator who will support the unemployed and the poor (including the miners you claim to support in your signature), or one who just votes for tax cuts for the donor class, for the 1%, for literal multibillionaires like Thiel? J.D. Vance may be Ohioan. But he is NOT populist and he is BY NO MEANS for the working class. He is for the ultra-ultra-rich. Is that the man you really want to support? In that case, you're both pathetic and gullible (though your endorsements in your signature told me that quite clearly already).
I won't support a unashamed social liberal in Tim Ryan.

Sure if he expressed some independence on social issues I would consider it.. but no, over his tenure in congress he's become increasingly a party line voter.

Vance's wealth doesn't particularly matter.. upwards mobility is to be applauded and J.D has come from WWC roots.

Regarding the first two paragraphs: Okay, so you prioritise social issues (and culture war wedge issues) over bread-and-butter economic issues. Fair enough. I understand that.

Regarding the third paragraph: I agree with you, but that's not what I was saying to begin with. Vance's wealth and upward mobility are not bad things by any means (and yes, they absolutely should be applauded - he is a self-made man who made his wealth through hard work and perseverance). What IS a bad thing is his economic views. He is being funded by a multibillionaire, and in office, his 'populist' WWC rhetoric aside, he will vote to give those making millions of dollars a year tax breaks (don't be fooled - when he says tax cuts, he's not talking about tax cuts for the middle class, he's talking about tax cuts for the 1%). When it comes to Medicaid or unemployment benefits or 'supporting the minors' or funding schools, he will reject all of that in favour of, you guessed it, tax cuts for the rich. Trump's 2017 tax cuts - what did they do? They were a giveaway to the ultra-rich, to the donor class who fund the GOP. They were not meant to, and they did not, help the middle- or lower-classes. I'm hardly opposed to tax cuts that are genuinely for the middle class. What I oppose, however, is more tax breaks for the top 1% and the ultra-rich. Warren Buffet is a multibillionaire and he has said multiple times that, crazy as it is, he pays a lower tax rate than his employees because of loopholes and whatnot. Donald Trump doesn't pay any income tax, while working-class people working 9-to-5 jobs and overtime to put food on the table do. The top 1% of earners have 32.3% of national wealth, whereas the bottom 90% own just 30.5% - yes, you got that right: the top 1% are richer than the bottom 90%! I don't think any of those facts is reasonable, in fact, I consider them outrageous -  and I would think you wouldn't, either. The fact that you're choosing a few culture war wedge issues demonstrates to me that the 1%'s strategy of using culture wars to distract and divide the 99% has succeeded to some extent. You can still realise that the enemy is not women who have abortions or LGBT+ people, but the 1% that are taking advantage of the bottom 99%, the multibillionaires like Thiel who control government through their $$$.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies