OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:23:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 75
Author Topic: OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance  (Read 94966 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2021, 07:41:19 PM »

I am glad Jordan is out he has the same problem as D Hassert a wrestling sex scandal
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2021, 07:46:30 PM »

Thank goodness that Jordan won't be in the Senate! I'm sure that whomever the inevitable Republican Senator ends up being won't be much better, but even a 1% improvement in sanity, when it comes to what the GOP has become, still makes a world of difference. It's a Roger Marshall situation.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2021, 08:01:28 PM »

Gomez also says she's being encouraged by the local Dem establishment, so bad news for Tim Ryan. Meanwhile on the GOP side...

anyone have insights on timken?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2021, 11:48:25 PM »

God this is such an overrated race already. I guess it could flip if everything goes right for Democrats, as 2018 proves it’s still POSSIBLE for them to win in OH statewide, but does anyone seriously think they’ll flip a Senate seat in a Trump + 8 state that voted 13 points to the nation in an national in a Biden midterm?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2021, 11:52:44 PM »

God this is such an overrated race already. I guess it could flip if everything goes right for Democrats, as 2018 proves it’s still POSSIBLE for them to win in OH statewide, but does anyone seriously think they’ll flip a Senate seat in a Trump + 8 state that voted 13 points to the nation in an national in a Biden midterm?

You keep saying a Biden midterm and it's only goes against Inc party when Prez Approvals are 40 percent we have two yrs to get the Economy back and D's are much better off in OH with Tim Ryan than with Val Deming's in FL

2018 Brown won in a Midterm Environment where Rs picked up MO, IN and ND, and DeWine was Elected Gov

Biden approvals are 52 Percent

If D's nominate Tim Ryan they will win James Harrison said he is putting money into Ohio
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2021, 11:56:44 PM »

You keep saying a Biden midterm and it's only goes against Inc party when Prez Approvals are 40 percent we have two yrs to get the Economy back and D's are much better off in OH with Tim Ryan than with Val Deming's in FL

2018 Brown won in a Midterm Environment where Rs picked up MO, IN and ND, and DeWine was Elected Gov

Biden approvals are 52 Percent

If D's nominate Tim Ryan they will win James Harrison said he is putting money into Ohio

I’ve said there’s a lot of uncertainty, but OH-Sen flipping seems no more on the fringe end of outcomes than say CO-Sen flipping; if either flop the losing party is having a terrible night
Neptunium
Taiwan

Political Matrix
E: 5.16, S: -1.90

« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2021, 02:22:17 AM »

This is atlas, how you expect from those who think 2022 would be Dem year?

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2021, 06:06:59 AM »

That was with Trump on the ticket. I'm not saying Dems have an amazing chance here, but as we've seen in many places, Trump being on the ticket matters. I'd like to see what the margins are like here when he's not.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2021, 12:15:47 PM »

Gomez also says she's being encouraged by the local Dem establishment, so bad news for Tim Ryan. Meanwhile on the GOP side...

OH GOP chair, Harvard and American University Law, well connected and well liked by all factions of the party. I think she's the front runner for the seat.

I don't see what's so special about her. She's just a state chair. From what I understand these are rarely launching pads for Senate races.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »

Folks...

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2021, 09:45:16 PM »

Folks...

Even Harris was a better debater than Tim Ryan.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2021, 04:04:24 AM »

OH GOP chair, Harvard and American University Law, well connected and well liked by all factions of the party. I think she's the front runner for the seat.

I think it's between her and Mandel since Jordan isn't running. The latter was admittedly a big surprise to me , but I suppose he understands he has more capacity for inflicting the maximum amount of evil in the world likely taking over as house Judiciary chair in 2 years.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2021, 07:15:11 AM »

Jim Jordan isnt running due to fact he has a sex issue like Hassert does with wrestling, he is a terrible candidate other than for where he is at now. Users on this site need to realize that.

The Rs criticized Cunningham
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2021, 09:22:59 AM »

I think it's between her and Mandel since Jordan isn't running. The latter was admittedly a big surprise to me , but I suppose he understands he has more capacity for inflicting the maximum amount of evil in the world likely taking over as house Judiciary chair in 2 years.

Eh, I’m admittedly not as in the loop as I used to be, but Timken seems like a generic Trumpist imo.  I doubt she gets very far if Davison runs (although she could be a spoiler).  Regardless of whether Timken runs or not, I think Mandel’s main competition will be from one of the House members still considering the race.  The nomination is probably still Stivers’ if he wants it and I could also see Warren Davison (a.k.a. bargain basement Jim Jordan) being a strong contender in the primary if he runs b/c without Jordan, he’s probably the best-positioned to out-Trumpist the other candidates.  I don’t see a path to the nomination for Dolan, especially if Mandel runs.

David Joyce is definitely interested although he might (rightly imo) decide he needs a more fractured primary field to win.  Bill Johnson is apparently also considering a run, but he has the Joyce problem of needing a clown-car primary field (although his path is a little less narrow than Joyce’s).  And that’s assuming LaRose, Yost, Faber (ROTFL) sit things out.

I do wonder what happens if Mandel doesn’t run.  He probably will, but I wonder if folks aren’t sleeping on that possibility a bit. 

As for the Dems, I think Tim Ryan missed his shot.  We’re better off running Dr. Acton or Nan Whaley for Senate (assuming Cordray is done with elected politics, if not then we should obviously run him) and then run John Cranley for Governor.  Cranley would be a great wave insurance candidate here, but IIRC he’s pretty set on running for Governor.

Tim Ryan could be LG (Whaley would be a better choice imo), but even then, his whole thing was supposed to be unique appeal to WWC voters in places like Trumbull, Mahoning, Portage, and to a lesser degree Summit counties.  He had an embarrassingly weak showing in 2020 against an unheralded C-list Trump cultist former state representative, so I don’t think he has any special appeal with those folks. 

Plus, IIRC, Ryan doesn’t have much money in his campaign accounts, so he doesn’t help there either.  At least Whaley is fairly popular in the biggest city of a competitive region.  At this point, Tim Ryan should probably be our nominee for Auditor since Faber is the weak link of the Republican row officers and if he’ll over-perform against anyone in NE Ohio, it’ll be against Faber. 

TL; DR: This starts off Likely R with the potential to shift to Lean R if the Republicans nominate a clown like Warren Davison.  Honestly, the Democrats probably need Jim Renacci or John Becker (LOL) to somehow win the Republican nomination to actually have a real chance of flipping, but I suppose it’s not impossible to imagine Warren Davison at least giving Republicans a scare if he’s the nominee (I doubt he’d actually lose though).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2021, 11:34:50 AM »

Tim Ryan, I signed up for his emails fully intends on going for Senate, he said that if I donated during his campaign season, he will have the money to win the seat

We need Tim Ryan to run for this seat, a Betty Sutton candidate, lost many times already, eventhough I would welcome another female in the Senate

Tim Ryan wants the job of Senator
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2021, 02:00:03 PM »

Eh, I’m admittedly not as in the loop as I used to be, but Timken seems like a generic Trumpist imo.  I doubt she gets very far if Davison runs (although she could be a spoiler).  Regardless of whether Timken runs or not, I think Mandel’s main competition will be from one of the House members still considering the race.  The nomination is probably still Stivers’ if he wants it and I could also see Warren Davison (a.k.a. bargain basement Jim Jordan) being a strong contender in the primary if he runs b/c without Jordan, he’s probably the best-positioned to out-Trumpist the other candidates.  I don’t see a path to the nomination for Dolan, especially if Mandel runs.

David Joyce is definitely interested although he might (rightly imo) decide he needs a more fractured primary field to win.  Bill Johnson is apparently also considering a run, but he has the Joyce problem of needing a clown-car primary field (although his path is a little less narrow than Joyce’s).  And that’s assuming LaRose, Yost, Faber (ROTFL) sit things out.

I do wonder what happens if Mandel doesn’t run.  He probably will, but I wonder if folks aren’t sleeping on that possibility a bit. 

As for the Dems, I think Tim Ryan missed his shot.  We’re better off running Dr. Acton or Nan Whaley for Senate (assuming Cordray is done with elected politics, if not then we should obviously run him) and then run John Cranley for Governor.  Cranley would be a great wave insurance candidate here, but IIRC he’s pretty set on running for Governor.

Tim Ryan could be LG (Whaley would be a better choice imo), but even then, his whole thing was supposed to be unique appeal to WWC voters in places like Trumbull, Mahoning, Portage, and to a lesser degree Summit counties.  He had an embarrassingly weak showing in 2020 against an unheralded C-list Trump cultist former state representative, so I don’t think he has any special appeal with those folks. 

Plus, IIRC, Ryan doesn’t have much money in his campaign accounts, so he doesn’t help there either.  At least Whaley is fairly popular in the biggest city of a competitive region.  At this point, Tim Ryan should probably be our nominee for Auditor since Faber is the weak link of the Republican row officers and if he’ll over-perform against anyone in NE Ohio, it’ll be against Faber. 

TL; DR: This starts off Likely R with the potential to shift to Lean R if the Republicans nominate a clown like Warren Davison.  Honestly, the Democrats probably need Jim Renacci or John Becker (LOL) to somehow win the Republican nomination to actually have a real chance of flipping, but I suppose it’s not impossible to imagine Warren Davison at least giving Republicans a scare if he’s the nominee (I doubt he’d actually lose though).

My first thought was about this davison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djfDZrm9KZs&ab_channel=StephenGebhardt

but this is a very well thought out post. I'm hoping someone takes on madel in the primary. Timken I barely know anything about, but I'm a fan of Stivers.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2021, 02:33:51 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2021, 04:04:11 PM »

Hillary calls on Tim Ryan to run for Portman seat

https://news.yahoo.com/hillary-clinton-calls-rep-tim-171518130.html
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2021, 04:14:25 PM »

Is Mandel confirmed to be running? IIRC he dropped out of the 2018 race for some reason.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2021, 04:32:22 PM »

The Rs know that they won't win with Mandel so they are trying to recruit a business donor especially if Tim Ryan enters the race, but if Tim Ryan runs it's a competetive race no matter what
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2021, 05:16:18 PM »

Is Mandel confirmed to be running? IIRC he dropped out of the 2018 race for some reason.

He dropped out for health reasons relating to his wife but the buzzfeed article (earlier in this thread) said that they'd divorced.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2021, 05:25:02 PM »

Tim Ryan would be the best OHDP candidate that they have.

LeBron does not live in OH anymore, and even if he ran, he would lose rural Ohio badly.

Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2021, 07:13:33 PM »

Tim Ryan would be the best OHDP candidate that they have.

LeBron does not live in OH anymore, and even if he ran, he would lose rural Ohio badly.

1.Well LeBron is still in the NBA for another 4-5 years anyway so he wouldn't be running
2. Rural Ohio is very heavily republican, most of the ancestral dem areas have fully switched
3. LeBron is well liked in Ohio. He bought the Cavaliers a championship and is a local hero
4. LeBron wouldn't do any worse in rural areas than most Dems anyway
5. If anything if he did run he might do better considering that he is not a politician and an outsider to politics. he is also a local celebrity so that would help. He has an inspiring life story so he might appeal to alot of working class folks.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2021, 09:35:51 PM »

I am glad Jordan is out he has the same problem as D Hassert a wrestling sex scandal

Gym Jordan.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #224 on: January 30, 2021, 10:32:47 PM »

Gym Jordan.

The difference between Jordan and Hastert is that Jordan is accused of covering up a team physician's sexual assaults, while Hastert was the assailant and paid hush money to silence his victims. Nevertheless, Jordan is an odious character, and I think he recognized that it would be easier for him to keep his Safe House seat then go for a potentially risky Senate bid (a bid which I think he still would have been the favorite for, unfortunately; Ohio is slipping away from Democrats).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies