Opinion of Grover Cleveland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 01:33:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Grover Cleveland
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FF (D)

FF (R)

FF (I/O)

HP (D)

HP (R)

HP (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Opinion of Grover Cleveland  (Read 1277 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2021, 09:21:15 PM »

Huh

It kind of blows my mind how one can both stan Corbyn and approve of the guy who sent the military to break up strikes...
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2021, 08:43:21 AM »

Huh

It kind of blows my mind how one can both stan Corbyn and approve of the guy who sent the military to break up strikes...

It makes some degree of sense to like both Corbyn and Cleveland if you're a single-issue anti-interventionist. Of course, single-issue anti-interventionism really isn't what the left has traditionally been about at all.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2021, 08:48:50 AM »

Good on foreign policy, trade, currency, and alcohol laws, bad on women’s suffrage.

Never would have pegged you as the gold standard type
Wouldn’t the silver standard have caused inflation?
"A little inflation now and then is a good thing."

Except switching in the manner proposed by silver advocates at the time would have been a large amount of one-time inflation.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2021, 09:11:43 AM »

Grover Cleveland was a states rights D' that appointed two segregationists to SCOTUS and affirmed Pleasy v Ferguson, segregation, Edward D White SCOTUS CJ 1910-20 and Melvin Fuller 1881-1910
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2021, 10:40:29 AM »

Grover Cleveland And The Opposite Sex

Step 0: You are a bachelor in his late 30's with a mostly unremarkable but successful career as lawyer and sheriff.

Step 1: Rape a widow, father a child with her, name him after your closest friend, and send her to an asylum.

Step 2: When said closest friend dies in a carriage accident, continue down the road of crushing on widows and start grooming what was his wife

Ah no sorry. That would have been too sane.

Actual Step 2: When said closest friend dies in a carriage accident, actually decide you are going to marry his 11-year-old daughter and that you're "just waiting for her to grow up".

[Step 2.1: Become famous.

Step 2.2: Actually do marry her when you're 49 and she's 21. You're also the President now, which makes her the youngest First Lady ever. The public is cheering. sUcCeSs!]

Step 3: After you have retired from politics, weigh in on a hot-button topic with "Sensible and responsible women do not want to vote".
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2021, 09:04:22 PM »

Mediocre. But how bad most of the other presidents of his era were redeems him somewhat, as he looks pretty good compared to them.

Agreed, he was easily the best gilded age president imo. Only Grant comes close.

Chester Arthur?!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2021, 11:35:13 PM »

Mediocre. But how bad most of the other presidents of his era were redeems him somewhat, as he looks pretty good compared to them.

Agreed, he was easily the best gilded age president imo. Only Grant comes close.

Chester Arthur?!

I prefer Garfield myself, taken way too soon.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2021, 11:35:31 PM »

Grover Cleveland And The Opposite Sex

Step 0: You are a bachelor in his late 30's with a mostly unremarkable but successful career as lawyer and sheriff.

Step 1: Rape a widow, father a child with her, name him after your closest friend, and send her to an asylum.

Step 2: When said closest friend dies in a carriage accident, continue down the road of crushing on widows and start grooming what was his wife

Ah no sorry. That would have been too sane.

Actual Step 2: When said closest friend dies in a carriage accident, actually decide you are going to marry his 11-year-old daughter and that you're "just waiting for her to grow up".

[Step 2.1: Become famous.

Step 2.2: Actually do marry her when you're 49 and she's 21. You're also the President now, which makes her the youngest First Lady ever. The public is cheering. sUcCeSs!]

Step 3: After you have retired from politics, weigh in on a hot-button topic with "Sensible and responsible women do not want to vote".

This definitely puts it into perspective.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2021, 12:36:40 AM »

Chester Arthur?!

For the record I have changed my mind on this topic. While Cleveland had some accomplishments and views I approve of, the Pullman strike and his troubling personal life decisions, which I now know more about thanks to other posters, no longer rank him as the best president of this era. I put Grant first, with Cleveland second. I don't really rate Arthur at all as a president tbh, although he was a decent man.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2021, 05:19:05 AM »

WC has changed since 2004 when John Edwards whom was a New Dem, said there is a gap between rich and poor ran for Prez and income disparity since the Great Recession.  All of the WC Prez would have reformed AA rights except Andrew Johnson whom was racist.

But, it still historical fact that WC means states rights and concerning Jim Crow laws back during their time they said if Framers wanted AA free or God wanted them free they would have wrote it in Constitution or Bible to profit off of slavery and Chain Gangs

That's why 1/3 of Latinos and AA are impovished and only 10% of WC are impoverished
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies