Transition to one-party-system (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:13:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Transition to one-party-system (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Transition to one-party-system  (Read 3860 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: January 21, 2021, 09:07:33 AM »

No more than any other western country usually being dominated more by one side than the other.

At the moment, the Republicans are still the dominant party at the state level, so the fact that democrats hold an extremely narrow trifecta federally doesn't really mean that much.

DC/PC statehood will only diminish the GOP's advantage in the senate, but they will still hold the advantage.

Packing the SC won't happen.

The GOP has a rough road ahead but a LOT can happen in 4 years or 8 years. Also, never underestimate democrats complacency and ability to lose elections they have no business losing.

Imagine how bad Democrats would be right now if Biden actually ran and won in 2016. By 1993, the Republicans were wiped out downballot.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 09:35:35 AM »

1. Legalize millions of immigrants. Millions of new citizens will gladly vote for the Democratic Party.

If we should take anything away from the 2020 elections, it's that immigrants are absolutely not guaranteed for the Democratic Party...

Except the immigrants who swung to Trump were Tejanos (basically rednecks who can speak Spanish and go to mass) who have mainly already been in the country for centuries and Cuban exiles who aren't exactly a replicable demographic.

“Hispanic” is basically anyone who speaks Spanish at home or at least who had a parent or grandparent who did. We need something more granular to be descriptive.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 08:23:49 PM »

My interpretation of 2020's surge in turnout is that it suggests a much less stable electorate than we have come to assume.

The INC/BJP-esque dynamic between the Democrats and Republicans hardly suggests that the former are guaranteed a happy electoral future - the relevant ethnic majority here comprises two-thirds of the electorate and is permeable enough to admit many members of other groups - but that's hardly the only salient comparison.

I'm not as familiar with Indian politics, but this post made me curious - is there a similar gender disparity between Indian parties as you see in US politics, and if so, does it vary by region?

The deal with the BJP is that they use the sort of chauvinistic democratic centralism That Republicans do to win and the opposition are basically all those who sustain damages from it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 08:59:03 PM »

My interpretation of 2020's surge in turnout is that it suggests a much less stable electorate than we have come to assume.

The INC/BJP-esque dynamic between the Democrats and Republicans hardly suggests that the former are guaranteed a happy electoral future - the relevant ethnic majority here comprises two-thirds of the electorate and is permeable enough to admit many members of other groups - but that's hardly the only salient comparison.

I'm not as familiar with Indian politics, but this post made me curious - is there a similar gender disparity between Indian parties as you see in US politics, and if so, does it vary by region?

It's quite difficult to explain the intricacies of Indian politics in a nutshell but in a simplified manner the BJP blends nationalism and religion to appeal to the roughly 80% of the population that is Hindu while the INC, a shell of what it once was, uses dynastic politics and appeals to secularism to appeal to religious minorities (read Muslims), a decent chunk of Hindus and a hodgepodge of other groups. Note that this generalization does not take into consideration caste, north v south divide (BJP has limited inroads in the Dravidian non-Aryan south, language politics (Hindi imposition onto non-Hindi speaking states), the demise of the Left Front, and regional political parties, etc.

Chauvinism against people who aren’t part of it but there are a lot of Tamil people who aren’t BJP or INC. I remember there was once a funeral for this Tamil politician who had been a Bollywood celebrity. My friend who is in Arizona was from Bangalore said it was really dumb. Coworkers in Chennai took time off work for the funeral.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies