Transition to one-party-system
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:29:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Transition to one-party-system
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Transition to one-party-system  (Read 3771 times)
Duro
Rookie
Ukraine
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2021, 01:50:50 PM »

Is transition to one-party-system realistic in contemporary America? Lots of publications on this topic and Democrats plan
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 01:57:45 PM »

1932-1968 was arguably that as democrats held a trifecta for 26/36 years
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 01:58:08 PM »

Very likely that America becomes a de facto one party system in the future. Either because the Democrats successfully emerge as a GroKo party or because Republicans effectively end democracy and achieve their goal of reimplementing Jim Crow.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 02:08:41 PM »

Even if you dismiss all the pitfalls of any one-party system, a US one would be particularly horrible because it would give that much more power to the Iowa caucuses.
Duro
Rookie
Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 03:47:17 PM »

I mean The Democrats' plan that includes 3 obvious steps. 1. Legalize millions of immigrants. Millions of new citizens will gladly vote for the Democratic Party. Biden already announced 8 year plan, but it will be reduced to three years. 2. Expand SCOTUS. New members will be introduced to represent interests of the Democratic Party. 3.Form two new states from DC and Puerto Rico. People living there massively support Democrats who will get new senators to effectively control the upper chamber.
I like this plan. The Republicans that gave birth to Trump-monster must be eliminated from American politics.
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 04:08:45 PM »

1. Legalize millions of immigrants. Millions of new citizens will gladly vote for the Democratic Party.

If we should take anything away from the 2020 elections, it's that immigrants are absolutely not guaranteed for the Democratic Party...
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 04:10:36 PM »

I don't think there will ever be a one-party system in the US unless Republicans succeed in their efforts to destroy democracy. If the GOP somehow stopped being relevant, a new center-right party would take its place, probably the Libertarians.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 04:31:11 PM »

Outside of some hyper conformist countries in East Asia you're not going to get a single party state without one side "cheating". Either through an outright far right coup or the Democrats creating a technocratic "soft despotism" state where all dissent is scrubbed from the internet and media, as many on the left seem interested in doing these days.
Duro
Rookie
Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 04:34:41 PM »

I don't think there will ever be a one-party system in the US unless Republicans succeed in their efforts to destroy democracy. If the GOP somehow stopped being relevant, a new center-right party would take its place, probably the Libertarians.
I agree, but the first step is to remove Republicans from the political process, and the plan I described aims at it.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 04:35:47 PM »

I just want the Republicans to become Center-Right and not Trumpist
Duro
Rookie
Ukraine
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 04:57:43 PM »

I just want the Republicans to become Center-Right and not Trumpist
I would strongly advise you to get rid of senseless dreams https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tver_Address
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 06:48:14 PM »

The only way I'll believe in the possibility of US is transitioning to a one-party system is if the Democrats hold onto both chambers in 2022, even making gains in seats. That would be a sign that people are actually leaving the GOP.

I doubt it thought. the Republican brand is definitely tarnished, but that doesn't mean 47% of the voting populace can and will support them. It's vastly easier to imagine a re-brand than to imagine a one-party system
Duro
Rookie
Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 09:00:01 PM »

The only way I'll believe in the possibility of US is transitioning to a one-party system is if the Democrats hold onto both chambers in 2022, even making gains in seats. That would be a sign that people are actually leaving the GOP.

I doubt it thought. the Republican brand is definitely tarnished, but that doesn't mean 47% of the voting populace can and will support them. It's vastly easier to imagine a re-brand than to imagine a one-party system
Rebranding is good but won't work if Trump forms his own party as he is currently planning. This will be a decisive blow to eradicate Republicans from American politics.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 09:05:14 PM »

Even if the Republicans were non-competitive at the federal level, that wouldn't make the United States a one-party state, just a dominant-party state. I suspect that the Republicans will stay relevant at least at the state level for my lifetime at least.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 09:07:00 PM »

Maybe the Democrats become the Natural Governing Party in Washington, like the Liberal Party of Canada in the 1990s. But that only lasted as long as the Canadian right was divided.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 09:48:16 PM »

I think that the presidency will favor the Democrats unless there are enough third party votes to allow a Republican to win by a plurality.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 10:18:25 PM »

Israel has transitioned into the Likud party, I don't see why not.  Also, the insurrection has damaged the well voters had on the he R party that's why Mcconnell is so angry with Trump, he single handily blew R chances in midterms.

We aren't gonna have another 2010 Election in 2022/ all of our races are in the 306/ EC votes that Biden won and D Govs have a 52% approval rating like Biden

Forget 2024/ Bob Casey Jr like Fetterman solidifies PA the most important battleground state
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 10:26:35 PM »

Israel has transitioned into the Likud party, I don't see why not.  Also, the insurrection has damaged the well voters had on the he R party that's why Mcconnell is so angry with Trump, he single handily blew R chances in midterms.

We aren't gonna have another 2010 Election in 2022/ all of our races are in the 306/ EC votes that Biden won and D Govs have a 52% approval rating like Biden

Forget 2024/ Bob Casey Jr like Fetterman solidifies PA the most important battleground state

I don't think so. Nobody will remember the insurrection by 2022, let alone 2024.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 02:18:02 AM »

No more than any other western country usually being dominated more by one side than the other.

At the moment, the Republicans are still the dominant party at the state level, so the fact that democrats hold an extremely narrow trifecta federally doesn't really mean that much.

DC/PC statehood will only diminish the GOP's advantage in the senate, but they will still hold the advantage.

Packing the SC won't happen.

The GOP has a rough road ahead but a LOT can happen in 4 years or 8 years. Also, never underestimate democrats complacency and ability to lose elections they have no business losing.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 03:08:21 AM »

That's an overstatement considering Likud never get more than a third of the votes and this is a multi-party system. Old Labour was much more dominant.

Anyhow even if America is a "one-party" nation the way political representation operates in the US means that party will be very diverse and broad tent. So in essence not a one party system
Duro
Rookie
Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 05:46:06 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 05:49:46 AM by Duro »

I don't think so. Nobody will remember the insurrection by 2022, let alone 2024.

Nobody will remember the insurrection... unless it occurs again.
Epaminondas

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 06:23:14 AM »

No more than any other western country usually being dominated more by one side than the other.
Germany has been run by a single party for the past 15 years.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 06:57:02 AM »

Germany has been run by a single party for the past 15 years.
Exactly. But it still isn't a single party country. A social democrat was chancellor for the 7 years preceeding that and Social Democrats have been part of the CDU led government.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 09:07:33 AM »

At the moment, the Republicans are still the dominant party at the state level, so the fact that democrats hold an extremely narrow trifecta federally doesn't really mean that much.

DC/PC statehood will only diminish the GOP's advantage in the senate, but they will still hold the advantage.

Packing the SC won't happen.

The GOP has a rough road ahead but a LOT can happen in 4 years or 8 years. Also, never underestimate democrats complacency and ability to lose elections they have no business losing.

Imagine how bad Democrats would be right now if Biden actually ran and won in 2016. By 1993, the Republicans were wiped out downballot.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 09:16:33 AM »

Even if you dismiss all the pitfalls of any one-party system, a US one would be particularly horrible because it would give that much more power to the Iowa caucuses.
Er, the Iowa Caucus is far less relevant than it used to be these days: SC is much more important on the Dem side (because it effectively gives Black voters a veto over the nominee), and increasingly so on the GOP side.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies